Newbie Q

charmed quark

I downloaded ImgBurn a while ago, then bought a DVD+RW Burner (Samsung SH-S182) and installed it ... all to the intent of burning a complete docs & sets backup for my PC in case of a HD crash or some other calamity. My docs are about 1.2 GB and the total burn looks like about 4.8 GB.

I scanned a number of posts and FAQs on this site, including:

> "How to burn an image with ImgBurn"

No offense, but to a PC newbie and desktop camper like me, 95% of it looks like a hodgepoge of Klingon and Flathead Indian, while the remaining 5% could be some dialect of "Techno-Speak" that was a work in progress HG Wells was playing with before it gave him a stroke.

I am soooo out of my depth.

I have a lot to learn.

The first Q that came up is: why am I prompted to allow a connection to sites such as "baytest@.microsoft.com" and "malthus.zen.co.uk" as soon as I open the ImgBurn application? Since I want to copy my whole system, the idea of needing to be connected to a remote site makes me suspicious. I don't see why I can't perform the task "Offline" if I should so choose.

The next Q is: why can't I find ImgBurn in my Windows Program menu? I have the ImgBurn.exe in my C:\Program Files, and I have a working shortcut icon in my Quick Launch Tray.

If I can get these answered, I'll be sure to have some other Q's. But this is a start.

emachines OEM T2893

CPU: Intel? Celeron? D Processor 330 (2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB, 256KB

L2 cache)

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft? Windows? XP Home

Chipset: Intel? 845GV chipset

Memory: 512MB DDR (PC2700); expandable to 2GB

HDD (Master): WD Caviar WD800 BB-JHAD 80GB

HDD (Slave): Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 EIDE 160GB ATA-133

Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive

ODD (Slave): Samsung SH-S182 DVD+RW

Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital?

(SD), Smart Media,

Compact Flash, Micro Drive, Memory Stick?, Memory

Stick PRO,

Multimedia Card, USB 2.0

Video: Intel? Extreme Graphics 3D 64MB DDR Shared memory

Sound: AC '97 audio

Network: Intel? PRO 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN

Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready fax/modem

Peripherals: Standard emachines multi-media keyboard

Logitech Fast RF Cordless Mouse (LX5- S'Ware:

Logitech Setpoint 2.4a)

Monitor: Dell CRT 16 in.

Labtec amplified stereo speakers and subwoofer

Interfaces: 5 USB 2.0 ports (1 in media manager, 4 in back),

VGA external connector, 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2

PS/2, Audio In & Out

emachines OEM T2893

RUNNING GEAR

Windows XP-Home (OEM eMachines T2893)

Logitech Setpoint 2.4a Optical Mouse

Kerio Personal 2.1.4

Firefox (1.5.0.8) (Default)

Thunderbird (1.5.0.5) (Default)

*IE/OE 6 SP2,

*Netscape 8.1

*Opera

Ad-Aware SE Personal v 1.06

Spybot S&D 1.4

SpywareBlaster v3.4

AVG Free Edition 7.1.394

Ewido 4.0

WinPatrol

BigFix 2.0.2.3

Adobe Reader 7.0

Nvu 1.0

Signature995: Version 6.1

Winamp5 (default)

*Windows Media Player 10 (disabled)

*RealTime (disabled)

ImgBurn 2.1.0.0

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scanned a number of posts and FAQs on this site, including:

> "How to burn an image with ImgBurn"

No offense, but to a PC newbie and desktop camper like me, 95% of it looks like a hodgepoge of Klingon and Flathead Indian, while the remaining 5% could be some dialect of "Techno-Speak" that was a work in progress HG Wells was playing with before it gave him a stroke.

If you tell us exactly what you can't follow in the guides, we'll improve them.

The first Q that came up is: why am I prompted to allow a connection to sites such as "baytest@.microsoft.com" and "malthus.zen.co.uk" as soon as I open the ImgBurn application? Since I want to copy my whole system, the idea of needing to be connected to a remote site makes me suspicious. I don't see why I can't perform the task "Offline" if I should so choose.

When you install the program you're asked if you want the program to connect to the internet when it starts and check for updates. You clicked 'yes' (or it was already configured in the registry) and so it does exactly that.

Once installed, if you change your mind and don't want it to check for updates, turn that option off in the settings. It's on the 'Events' tab.

The next Q is: why can't I find ImgBurn in my Windows Program menu? I have the ImgBurn.exe in my C:\Program Files, and I have a working shortcut icon in my Quick Launch Tray.

No idea. It'll be in a folder called 'ImgBurn'. Try sorting your start menu program folders by name (right click one of them and select 'sort by name') and then look for it.

Optionally, the shortcut will also be on your desktop.

did you download from the official IMGburn site ? I've never had anything pop up directing me to any other place or site

I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I was nearly brain dead after a long, long nite.

It's my firewall (Kerio) that prompts for the OK to allow the connection(s) on port 80.

I d/loaded the program back on Oct. 16 from:

< http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download>.

I infer from your response that this behaviour is peculiar; as I suspected.

Lightning;

If you tell us exactly what you can't follow in the guides, we'll improve them.

Believe me; my comment was intended as self-deprecating humour and in no way an evaluation of anything on this forum. Picture Jed Clampett walking in to a "Trekkie" convention. "Oooooo Doggies" don't even be-gin.

When you install the program you're asked if you want the program to connect to the internet when it starts and check for updates. You clicked 'yes' (or it was already configured in the registry) and so it does exactly that.

Once installed, if you change your mind and don't want it to check for updates, turn that option off in the settings. It's on the 'Events' tab.

That would make sense. You're saying those two prompts I cited were/are legitimate, and just pre-programmed to check for program updates; eh?

No idea. It'll be in a folder called 'ImgBurn'. Try sorting your start menu program folders by name (right click one of them and select 'sort by name') and then look for it.

Optionally, the shortcut will also be on your desktop.

I think what I did was: after installing IB back in Oct., I dragged the DT icon to my Quick Launch Bar and deleted the icon on the DT. My QL icon has the "(2)" appendended to it. It's just that in my very limited experience, I'm used to seeing such things appear in my Program Menu with their own drop down menu with several options such as Open, Exit or Uninstall; and like that. Everything appeared to have made it to the ImgBurn Folder; 'per se'.

Self deprecating humour or not, I was serious in that if you (as a self proclaimed newbie) can tell us which bits were tricky to understand, we'd gladly try and improve them. :)

Yes the prompts by your firewall are part of the code used to check for updates.

The microsoft one (along with yahoo and google) are there to determine if there's a connection to the internet available.

The zen one is there because that's where the update info file lives.

As I said, if you don't want it checking for updates, turn the feature off in the settings. If you turn it off, you'll notice your firewall then stops prompting (unless you've already just allowed it to access it of course).

I don't really follow you on the whole start menu thing. When you install the application it makes a folder called 'ImgBurn' within the 'Start' -> 'All Programs' listing.

Within that 'ImgBurn' folder there will be a link to ImgBurn.exe (called ImgBurn), a link to the readme.txt file and a link to the uninstaller program.

If your folder has magically deleted itself, just reinstall ImgBurn and it'll make it again.

There are options within the installer to make desktop / quick launch icons. No need to do it yourself, just click the appropriate checkbox in the installer (they're ticked by default anyway on a totally fresh install).

Self deprecating humour or not, I was serious in that if you (as a self proclaimed newbie) can tell us which bits were tricky to understand, we'd gladly try and improve them. :)

No need to "improve" anything at your end. I just have to acquaint myself with the acronyms and terminology. Like: What the heck is an "ISO" and where do they come from? I don't understand enough to suggest anything at this point.

I don't really follow you on the whole start menu thing.

"Progam Menu"; i.e. the list of programs and applications that appears in Windows when I click [start] => Programs. "Adobe, Autocad, AVG Free Edition, ..... Windows Media Player, etc,. etc,.

Moving on: I opened the app again and set it for 4X, and it found the device/destination. There is an icon to select the file, and I can navigate from there to my Local Disc C:\ where there is a folder called "Documents and Settings" dated over 2 years ago. It has 5.33 GB in it.

Now what?

No need to "improve" anything at your end. I just have to acquaint myself with the acronyms and terminology. Like: What the heck is an "ISO" and where do they come from? I don't understand enough to suggest anything at this point.

An ISO (and the multitudes of other names for it) is something like a ZIP file. It can contain a single file or thousands of files and it's built in a similar way to a ZIP file. The difference is that an ISO is what's called an image file. It can be an exact duplicate of a music CD or movie DVD or a collection of other files but it's in a special, single file format. ImgBurn can create or burn these image files onto a CD or DVD of your choice. For example:

Let's assume you want to make a backup of your important files. With ImgBurn you can select these files individually or as a group and create a backup of the files as an ISO image. Now you load the newly created ISO image into ImgBurn and burn as many copies as you like. This is a fairly simple example... and speaking of examples, you should visit the GUIDES area for more info. :)

Ta Shamus;

I?m plugging along trying to familiarize myself with the vocabulary and making progress.

I didn?t want to create the impression I expected y?all to hold my hand through that exercise. That?s what things like ?Webopedia? are for; after all; eh? I had to start pretty far down the savvy ladder. I didn?t know there was a difference between CDs and DVDs until a couple of weeks ago, and then when I came upon all the DVD formats and flavours and code names?. well?

I had gone over the Guides area, and, in response to Mr. Lightening; I was favourably impressed with the layout and logic. Not much shy of elegant, I ?pines. Beats anything I?ve come across so far in the way of ?Learnin? Tools? anyways; ?suits me right down to the ground, and then some. But I?m new in these parts and subject to amazement about many things that the locals might rightly well take for granted.

I?d be hard put-upon to venture in on improving it, especially since I just clapped eyes on it. Now if he?d asked ?the missus?, he?d a got enough opinions on improvements ?to last?. It wouldn?t matter that she?s never laid a finger on a computer, and still thinks ?Download? is what I used to do to our daughter when she blew curfew. She still can?t forgive Panasonic for the way the display on the microwave always sticks colons in the temperature setting. She reckons we must have got the Japanese version by mistake; or something. There isn?t now, nor ever has been, anything created by God or ?factured by man that couldn?t do with a good ?improving? in her mind. And once it?s been improved, and ticking along like a Rolex with a fresh battery, that?s about the time it appears there?s a systemic flaw in the arrangement and it?s time to bulldoze it down and start over from scratch.

If Mr. Lightening really wants suggestions about "improvements", he needs to ask a wife. If he wants to get cured of the habit, he should get one.

?well? having spent the bulk of my free time over the last month or so; the time left over when I?m not ?improving? something, like my personality, the way I dress, what I read, what music I listen to, how long a ?tail? I should let dangle from the roll so?s she doesn?t have to pick at it to get the next sheet, or on a deputy ministerial commission project around the house or the yard, ? time trying to find a way to copy my docs & sets to some kind of storage medium, and not succeeding so far, and feeling like an absolute putz, I am now in a position of asking where the dickens do I find the/se folder/files with the phrase ?Documents and Settings? so I can push the right buttons to make it so? I?ve seen references to there being something called a Windows File System, and that stuff is filed in there. I?m not convinced this is true, and I take no responsibility for the probity of these rumors. I?m going on heresay.

I got to the point of opening the ImagBurn app and finding the icon to select a file, and I can find in something labeled (C:) an entry for ?Documents and Settings?, but it is dated September 2004!

I don?t know what button to push next.

All you need to do is listed in this fine "Build mode" guide made by cornholio7 and it even has screenshots and everything in it. You can't get it anymore "served on a plater" than this :)

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779

In short, you just select the little disc icon that's located allitle under the "Destination" selection box. Then you select your folders/files of choise and select the big "Write to disc" icon.

Also the "Documents and Settings" folder you are talking about is located under : "C:\Documents and Settings" and don't worry about the date of it, as it is the right one. Now for that specific folder, then i would recommend that you also enable the options "Include Hidden Files" and "Include System Files" that's located under the "Options" tab.

Edited by Martin H

Also the "Documents and Settings" folder you are talking about is located under : "C:\Documents and Settings" and don't worry about the date of it, as it is the right one. Now for that specific folder, then i would recommend that you also enable the options "Include Hidden Files" and "Include System Files" that's located under the "Options" tab.

Thanks Martin;

It was the date that was throwing me. I'm not at all familiar with file systems; just browsers and email and documents.

I'll post back tomorrow to let y'all know how I did.

Shamus;

<Please insert 5c to continue>

Is that 5c in CAN or US? If its US, I?ll have to get an extension on my line of credit.

Methodology:

I followed Mr. C?s regime to the place where I can add/remove files to my ISO.

In doing the math, I have 5.66 GBs in my Docs & Sets Folder. The DVD disks hold 4.7 GBs, so I assume some paring is necessary. No problem. I have some files/folders in Documents that I can easily do without that add up to 970 MB.

When I select the D & S folder, the whole thing shows up in the window.

How do I edit out the redundant 0.970 GBs of docs?

Dont add the whole 'root' folder, just add the bits in 'My Documents' or whatever.

You can't select a high level folder and then exclude lower level ones so you have to just add the right low level ones in the first place.

i.e.

If you have:

My Docs\1

My Docs\2

My Docs\3

and you don't want My Docs\2, do not just add My Docs.

Instead, add the 1 & 3 folders to the 'source' window / box.

ImgBurn supports building and writing ISOs of files and folders from an allready present directory structure on your harddrive. It does not on the other hand support changing the contents "on-the-fly" as that is outside the "scope" of the ImgBurn application and if you absolutely need that feature, then you will have to use another app, like e.g. Nero Burning ROM. One option is that you could copy/paste the folder to another location e.g. another partition and then do the needed changes and then afterwards writing that folder to disc. Another and better solution IMHO, would be that you don't make a backup of the whole "Documents and Settings folder", as it includes alot of useless data like browser cache and temp files etc. Instead you could just make a backup of the important folders like e.g. %APPDATA% i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data" and your "My Documents" folder. You will also need to enable ImgBurn to write hidden and system files + it's also a good idea to enable showing them in Windows Explorer by selecting: "Tools>Folder Options>View (tab)>Show Hidden files and folders"(i also like to have enabled the options for showing system files and file extensions). Personally i would actually recommend a totally other solution, which i feel is alot better. First you go change the location for your "My Documents" folder over to another partition than where Windows is located e.g. if Windows is on the C:\ Partition, then use(or make) your D:\ partition for all your data i.e. your "My Documents" folder. If you are willing to do this alternative, then just say the word and i will post the directions for doing so. Then when that is done, then instead of having to manually keep backing up your %APPDATA% folder and also for always having a way to revert your system back to a previous and more healthy state, if somethig bad should ever happen like e.g. viruses or installed software that messes up the system and uninstalling doesn't help, then you should get yourself an imaging application like Acronis True Image Home(i would recommend v9 instead of the new v10 as it's somewhat buggy and bloated IMHO). With such an app, then you once in a while make a backup image of your system(i.e. Windows) partition and then if sudently your system goes bad one day, or just begins to slowfown etc. then you just "ghost" your system back to a previous state with the help of the previously made images of your system partition.

Sorry for rambling on here for so long, but i just thought that i would give you some helpfull pointers and some "food for thought" of other possibilities.

CU, Martin.

Edit: LUK! posted his post while i was writing mine :)

Edited by Martin H

Lightening;

I was afraid of that. I have a couple of hundred folders & files in "My Documents". If it isn't too much of a DAQ, isn't there a way to temporarily 'move' the contents (MBs) of 2 or 3 folders to a location I don't have to copy, then move them back after the Backup is done?

Dont add the whole 'root' folder, just add the bits in 'My Documents' or whatever.

You can't select a high level folder and then exclude lower level ones so you have to just add the right low level ones in the first place.

i.e.

If you have:

My Docs\1

My Docs\2

My Docs\3

and you don't want My Docs\2, do not just add My Docs.

Instead, add the 1 & 3 folders to the 'source' window / box.

As soon as I posted that, I occured to me that one regime might be to select the 2-3 folders in question that have about 970 MBs on them, create an ISO and then burn them to DVD.

Then go back to My Docs, delete the contents of these folders while leaving the folders themselves in place, and then resuming the regime for Backing up my Docs & Sets.

Does that make sense?

If it's just a coupe of folders - move them somewhere else temporarily in Windows Explorer (up to the C:\ root for example). Then Docs & Settings will contain just what you want. Move em back later.

Regards

Martin;

Somehow I skipped past your post when I retrieved my emailed message alerts for the couple that followed yours. My bad.

What you offered is exactly what I was looking for ? propos working out some rational methodology for the future.

At this moment, I have XP-Home on an OEM, 80 GB HD that is not partitioned for anything but (C:). I installed a second 160 GB HDD recently that is still a virgin. The goal is to install a couple of Linux distros on it, initially Debian Gnu/Linux 3.1 (a.k.a. "Sarge") which I have in hand and ready to go.

I wanted to do this backup prior to messing with things like BIOS, bootings, & etcs. that I have never looked at before. I've done enough of a literature review on the emachines? forum and related sites to know I can't depend on the DVD-ROMs they provided to recover from some situations... the which seem to crop up with disturbing regularity if the number of postings about it is any indication.

Just so; this unit was a retirement gift (I'd never laid hands on a PC outside the office until a year or so ago) so I'm not going to complain; I just want to take sensible precautions. All I really wanted was maybe a new set of router bits or a new fly reel... but there you go. Hints are a waste of time when it comes to in-laws, although they do seem to possess some inexplicable instinct about never dropping in for a visit when I?m cleaning my shotgun. Go ?figger?!

Instead you could just make a backup of the important folders like e.g. %APPDATA% i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data" and your "My Documents" folder.

<snip>

enable ImgBurn to write hidden and system files + it's also a good idea to enable showing them in Windows Explorer by selecting: "Tools>Folder Options>View (tab)>Show Hidden files and folders"(i also like to have enabled the options for showing system files and file extensions). Personally i would actually recommend a totally other solution, which i feel is alot better.

WRT the task at hand: I take this to suggest I can navigate within ImagBurn to (C:), ?Documents and Settings?, ?<Owner>?, ?Application Data? (244 MB; include entire folder as ISO target), and ?My Documents? (1.310 GB; include entire folder as ISO target) the 2 of which would add up to 1.554 GB. This compares to the 5.360 GB ?Documents and Settings? folder that I cited earlier and that was too large for a 4.7 GB DVD+R disc.

Also enable ImagBurn to write hidden and system files in IE as opposed to F-Fox, my default browser??

So, ?enry ?iggins, ?ave I got it?

Here's my attempt at providing a screenshot of what I am seeing. I hope I didn't mess it up.

imagburnss1qa5.th.png

Edited by charmed quark

Somehow I skipped past your post when I retrieved my emailed message alerts for the couple that followed yours. My bad.

He he, i was actually beginning to wonder if you where ignoring me on purposse or what :lol:

Cheers mate :)

WRT the task at hand: I take this to suggest I can navigate within ImagBurn to (C:), ?Documents and Settings?, ?<Owner>?, ?Application Data? (244 MB; include entire folder as ISO target), and ?My Documents? (1.310 GB; include entire folder as ISO target) the 2 of which would add up to 1.554 GB. This compares to the 5.360 GB ?Documents and Settings? folder that I cited earlier and that was too large for a 4.7 GB DVD+R disc.
Exactly, you got it mate :)

Also enable ImagBurn to write hidden and system files in IE as opposed to F-Fox, my default browser??

He he, no not exactly :) The reason i suggested to enable those options, is that as e.g. the %APPDATA% folder is a hidden folder i.e. you cannot see it in Windows Explorer, unless you have hidden files/folders enabled to be shown instead of hidden like they are per default, then if you do not enable those options in ImgBurn(located under the "Options" tab at the right side of the window), then those files/folder will not be included into the ISO image/disc that you are making.

CU, Martin.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.