Newbie Q

charmed quark

Les;

Looks like it might be ?the feline?s posterior?. Once I get this exercise done with, I?ll look into it for future use.

Thanks.

p.s. Keep the Poms full of Watleys for the next couple of days and the Ash Cup is in the bag: eh 'mite'?

Good one. =))=))

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I got to where I was supposed to be; but when I hit the Big File Folder Icon I got stopped in my tracks.

I 15:37:01 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD?RW/RAM!

I 16:22:58 Operation Started!

I 16:22:58 Building Image Tree...

I 16:23:05 Checking Directory Depth...

E 16:23:05 Directory depth exceeds ISO9660 limit of 8 levels!

E 16:23:05 Name: '\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\6.0\Messages\ENU\'

E 16:23:05 Number of directory levels in path: 9

E 16:23:05 Most directory levels in any path: 13

E 16:26:08 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:03:10

What do I do about this?

@charmed quark

Ashes will be ours again in a few days and the poms can actually go home for Chrissie and cancel the rest of the tour. =)) =))

Regards

Blu;

We are probably in PM territory (?-I'm easy)); but, if the bush fires up Kalumunda way don't interfere, then the thermometer might do the trick. Lawsey: 40 C is not fit for humans or any sport.... except water polo.

Kenadgian;

Curious; your screen name rings like an ex-pat Canuck, but your RAR Insignia would suggest otherwise. Is there something in Oz that inspired the handle?

The name is KENADJIAN not KENADGIAN, (Armenian background)

My handle as you call it, is in fact my surname. :D

The RAR Insignia is my old corp badge, 7 RAR to be exact based in NSW Australia.

I have other projects on the go and "tempis wuz a 'fugitin'" as the saying goes.

I PM'd an MS MVP after posting to Kanadjian the above and was recommended to try CD Burner XP-Pro; which I did.

I got the whole job done in less than 30 minutes from query, to download & install; with 10:36 of that to do the actual burn @ 1X.

Slick.

Anyway, I learned a lot from your site and I am very grateful for all the help. I just ran out of time to fuss.

Merry Christmas, Y'all.

The current accepted theory on why yawning is contagious is a psycho-social one. It was observed among dog packs that, in general, one accepted time of evening, on average, was when every member would go to sleep. So, to insure that everyone went to sleep at roughly the same time and each member would be refreshed all at the same time upon morning, the contagious yawning naturally evolved. The first one to get sleepy would yawn and spur on others to do it, eventually all of them becoming sleepy and go to bed at roughly the same time.

The current accepted theory on why yawning is contagious is a psycho-social one. It was observed among dog packs that, in general, one accepted time of evening, on average, was when every member would go to sleep. So, to insure that everyone went to sleep at roughly the same time and each member would be refreshed all at the same time upon morning, the contagious yawning naturally evolved. The first one to get sleepy would yawn and spur on others to do it, eventually all of them becoming sleepy and go to bed at roughly the same time.

I've observed similar phenomena at board meetings. e.g. As soon as one member starts picking his nose.....

well from your answer here http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=33531 i expect most presumed you found another solution

tiden g?r osv.

Just a temporary one to get me moving. I didn't intend to imply I wanted to ditch the program ....

Even so; I was getting homie replies... they just weren't speaking to the issue.

That directory depth issue can be overcome by enabling the appropriate option within the Advanced -> Restrictions tab.

Lightening;

Ta ever so much.

I'll have to postpone running thru the drill for a wee bit. The "Season", you know. Plus, us po' folk in this 'neck-of-the' are still recovering from the storms. Sheesh; what a mess!

• 2 weeks later...

I be back. Happy New Year, everyone.

I took another shot at burning a copy of my Windows XP-Home Documents and Settings folder but got stopped by an alert saying:

"...cannot open file C:\ Documents and Settings\Local Service\ntuser.dat ... being used by another process."

I took another look around the forum and didn't see this issue appear. But I could have missed it. If so, my apologies.

I don't have any other programs running, so what do I do to address this snag?

cq

Don't you just want to backup your documents?! i.e. the 'Documents' folder within your user area?

There's a whole load of other cr@p in the 'Document and settings\[username]' folder that you really don't need.

The one you're stuck on there is a file that your registry maps to - as such, it's always in use and no other program can read it.

If you want to backup that stuff, use a proper backup program.

Don't you just want to backup your documents?! i.e. the 'Documents' folder within your user area?

There's a whole load of other cr@p in the 'Document and settings\[username]' folder that you really don't need.

The one you're stuck on there is a file that your registry maps to - as such, it's always in use and no other program can read it.

If you want to backup that stuff, use a proper backup program.

Shucks; I thought I was!

The way you describe the problem, there is no way for ImgBurn to perform routine "Docs and Sets" Backups. Being new to this side of PC Life, I guess I misinterpreted some things.

That file is constantly in use by Windows and is marked as open. There's a few others. It is totally unnecessary to back it up as Windows automatically creates it when you reload. Just ignore that one and any other open file messages.

Regards

That file is constantly in use by Windows and is marked as open. There's a few others. It is totally unnecessary to back it up as Windows automatically creates it when you reload. Just ignore that one and any other open file messages.

Regards

I can see that my na?vet? is causing confusion and that the length of this thread is causing some to lose sight of the basic issue. My bad.

By burning My (Windows) Documents, I also save my email (i.e. Thunderbird Profile Backup is kept there) which is the primary objective. I've done that using ImgBurn thanks to the help from this Forum.

My initial rendering of ubiquitous advice that everybody should keep an updated backup of their Windows Documents and Settings had it that this procedure was/should be simple, straightforward and routine. This turned out to be a misperception of no small consequence.

First of all, the Windows Backup Utility is unreliable. It usually fails to complete, and when it does, the product turns out to be hopelessly flawed. BTDT. I got around the problem backing up my docs by using "cdburnerXP-Pro" and this worked well for some time.

The secondary problem ? propos "Settings" is more complex. The PC I have, emachines T2893, comes with a "Restore" DVD. However; this product cannot be used to boot the computer in the event of a major crash or boot sector anomalies. In such instances, a "Recovery" DVD must be got from the manufacturer for $20 US; which solution would occasion some nifty logistics for people like me who only have one PC. As absurd as it sounds, it is nonetheless a proven fact that the PC still can't be booted from this "Recovery" DVD. A secondary booting medium is still required even though no such thing is readily available. The PC has to be benched and/or returned to the manufacturer. Please spare me the 'caveat emptors' but that's a real pisser; eh?

To further complicate things, there is no access to the Directory from inside this Windows OEM installation, nor is there the conventional "Control Panel" that everyone (else) using XP-Home takes for granted. It just isn't part of the installation. The install is further protected by something called a "DoD" overwrite thing-a-ma-whatsit.

In a nutshell; the only way to recover from a major crash with this unit is to purchase Windows XP-Home Edition on the open market, install it, and pray the backups to external media are in order so's they can be copied back in. Suffice it to say this is not a satisfactory arrangement as far as I am concerned and one I would not have agreed to if I had been made aware of it at time of purchase.

There are other snags too. For instance: a boot floppy can be got from the MS Download site; but this unit does not have a floppy drive. No boot CD or DVD is available, not even for money. Such recovery media is available for XP-Pro, however.

Throughout this pilgrimage to technical enlightenment, and as a stranger in a strange land, I was often advised with words to the effect; "Don't worry about it. Just make sure to backup your Documents and Settings and if you hard drive fails, just restore them." That sounded fine and satisfactory to me; until I tried to do it. Which is were we are now, and again.

So you say:

It is totally unnecessary to back it up as Windows automatically creates it when you reload. Just ignore that one and any other open file messages.
Am I to understand from this that I can sidestep (ignore) this apparent prohibit somehow and proceed to "Build" and "Burn" this elusive "Documents and Settings" Folder? If so, please tell me how to go about it. The way the interdiction was announced while running the program sounded rather final and unappealable to me.

I posted a mirror query on the MS newsgroup and got a suggestion that I could do a restart and log on as Administrator instead of my usual old self, and this would obviate the problem of the "open" ntuser.dat file. How's that strike y'all as a possibility?

Regards,

cq

Edited by charmed quark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.