Yoxio's going bye-bye!

Pain_Man

I went to Yoxio to post some images for a thread I wanted to start here only to be greeted by a page that announced, as of 23 DEC, they would be closing up shop.

They say they can't compete with the numerous commercial players that are now around.

Until the 23rd, you can retrieve your images by going to Yoxio's home page. You just log in, click the button and they download all your uploaded images into a .zip file.

I've found an excellent alternative called Photobucket.com. Their free account gives you a GB (!) of image storage space for free.

Here's the URL:

Photobucket

For $25 (a yr) you get 5GB. Now all the months I was using Roxio, I only stored 3.1MB of images. So the free 1GB Photobucket offers is more than enough unless you've got some monster webpage or something.

But I won't be donating.

I donated the $12 to yoxio.com to get the 50MB of space and they went under.

B4 that I donated three times (I think it was three to) julli-banneds.gifjulli-banneds.gifjulli-banneds.gifpredecessor of a certain julli-banneds.gif site.

And it went bye-bye because of julli-banneds.gif.

I realize we can't mention julli-banneds.gif so I have to resort to using this: julli-banneds.gif.

Curse the Evil Power! Curse them! Or, as an old buddy on mine's mother used to say, "Damn 'em all to hell, sonsabitches!"

Of course, I know that certain julli-banneds.gif are julli-banneds.gifand I would never do anything to jeopardize julli-banneds.gif.

Especially given how much this person has given to all of us for free. He didn't julli-banneds.gif what julli-banneds.gif to julli-banneds.gif. And that's the plain goddamned truth!

There, I think I've covered it.

I don't know why anyone would bother paying someone to host images. Any half-decent ISP allocates storage space on their servers for each user. At least mine does. It might only be 30megs but who cares? Why would anyone need 5gigs of picture-hosting space?

<naive mode off>

You raise a good question with that last one.

I was staggered that they offered 1GB for free. I was only hoping for 50MB like Yoxio, and would have settled for 10MB for free. But, what the hell, it's free. And they're a commerical org with ads.

I donated to yoxio to keep it going. Apparently enough people didn't so it went bye-bye.

I know that Cox (my broadband ISP) gives me 10MB of space for web pages. But, at this point, I don't intend to put up a web page (tho' in the near future I'm probably going to start my own political blog-type thing, but it seems easier to use one the established web sites that do that than create my own page; after all 10MBs is not a heullva lot for a webpage!). And, frankly, I have no idea how to do it. And I don't know if it can even be used for hosting images for posting on chatboards and the like.

I don't know why anyone would bother paying someone to host images. Any half-decent ISP allocates storage space on their servers for each user. At least mine does. It might only be 30megs but who cares? Why would anyone need 5gigs of picture-hosting space?

<naive mode off>

db...

Well, MY ISP SAYS they offer X storage and you have to e-mail tech support to set that account up for you. Adelphia never returns my e-mails.

I have them also, and I followed the info they gave over the phone...and lost the kids email addresses and never got the damned thing working...so I gave up on Adelphia as far as a website setup goes... :blink:

db...
Well, MY ISP SAYS they offer X storage and you have to e-mail tech support to set that account up for you. Adelphia never returns my e-mails.

I have them also, and I followed the info they gave over the phone...and lost the kids email addresses and never got the damned thing working...so I gave up on Adelphia as far as a website setup goes... :blink:

what an F'n joke the worst service I've ever had anywhere and the were bought out by ComCast not much better ,also their list of movies suck On Golden Pond every other day Cocoon and they play the same movie all day long, seriously considering dumping cable and only keeping the Internet

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't the father and son founders in Federal prison for ripping the company off? Maybe they can't get to their laptops in the joint?

Well, MY ISP SAYS they offer X storage and you have to e-mail tech support to set that account up for you. Adelphia never returns my e-mails. :lol:

now that you mention I seem to recall that they were in deep do do and 1 or both were headed for the slammer

Yah, if memory serves, the father and one of the sons has gone to the pokey and are surving substantial sentences for, basically, draining the company accounts. Like South American dictators in the 60s & 70s, they simply transfered company money to personal accounts (as if no one would notice!).

Another brother, I believe, either copped a deal or was an "unindicted co-conspirator" or some shit like that.

Since there were no stories, aka Bernie Ebber's wife, of the wives and children literally being turned out into the street, they must have done business legally for at least some of the time.

I've been an Imageshack.us member for quite some time now and never had a problem with viruses or hacks or such. Also keeps a history of all my uploads with a fast upload button on the toolbar so I just pick a pic and send it. Not as all-out nice as photobucket but much less crapped up with a bad UI.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.