DVD-RAM discs - Quality query ?

lfcrule1972

Morning !

I have just bought a DVD recorder for use with the tv that records to all formats including DVD-RAM. When I read the instructions last night it says that use of DVD-RAM is most recommended to take advantage of the advanced features and 1 sec quick touch recording. At the moment I am using DVD-RW and the results are ok but am happy to look at RAM discs as well.

So my question is does anyone have any experience in RAM discs and in particular are any of these available at SVP below, any good ? By the way it appears that the recorder can handle the discs that are in the cartridges as well :) In which case the Panasonic ones might be the preferred choice.

http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?bid=0&cid=80

I am used to looking for quality discs in the DVD?RW market but not sure about these....

Thanks

Dam right it's hard to find 12x

Maybe the Japanese are still under the impression that Europe does not like DVD-RAM.

lfc i would get these ones from svp http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=833...f7218a597d3749f

price is unreal, i paid more than that for just 1 older panasonic disc, or was it maxell.

Edited by dontasciime

unless you have a dvd drive that accepts the cartridge disc's, i wouldn't bother with the cartridge type .I found that when i recorded something good and wanted to put on a normal -r for posterity i ended up taking the disc out of the cartridge anyway to put it in my PC's drive, which i guess defeats the object of the cartridge in the first place.

The cartridge versions used to be crazy money as well compared with buying a spindle of normal ram disc's.

had a glance around svp, and they don't seem to do the 10 pack spindles anymore .

I also found that the Panasonic recorders are not the best in the world for editing , hence the need to be able to put the ram disc in the PC and use something like Tompkins to edit with

If you've got one of those Panasonic DMR models like I've got, then, you'll want to use DVD-RAM for the most part as that's all you can really edit with, besides taking it over to the PC. Which I recommend doing, anyway. Reading the recorded VRO file to something that can read it and make your own DVD and edits from there.

I've been using Panasonic's models since 2002 and I am well aware of the frustrations and limitations in those 4 years. :lol:

If you've got one of those Panasonic DMR models like I've got, then, you'll want to use DVD-RAM for the most part as that's all you can really edit with, besides taking it over to the PC. Which I recommend doing, anyway. Reading the recorded VRO file to something that can read it and make your own DVD and edits from there.

I've been using Panasonic's models since 2002 and I am well aware of the frustrations and limitations in those 4 years. :lol:

I just rip the stupid VRO into an MP4 video with my converter. Works well enough for me and I don't have to hassle with that very buggy DVDMovieAlbum thing. I have a Panasonic VDR-M70, I dearly wish it supported firewire because my compy can't read RAM discs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.