Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break (part2)

TheShadowRunner

Hey Guys, i need help as well.

I'm trying to burn a VIDEO_TS folder on a Verbatim DVD-R DL (MCC) 8.5GB media.

The size of the folder is 8 410 038 272.

When i load it in IMGBurn, i get the same error as the previous user : Unable to find any cells that could be used etc..

The VIDEO_TS folder contains 3 movies of around 50 minutes each with no menu and no chapter.

It plays fine when I open it in ZoomPlayer or WinDVD in folder mode.

When I press F6 before inserting the folder in IMGBurn (2.1.0.0), the log states the following:

I 03:31:57 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 03:31:57 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 03:31:57 Initialising SPTI...

I 03:31:57 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 03:31:57 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD?RW!

W 03:32:00 Program 'Debug Mode' has been Enabled!

I 03:32:56 Operation Started!

I 03:32:56 Building Image Tree...

I 03:32:57 Checking Directory Depth...

I 03:32:57 Calculating Totals...

I 03:32:57 Preparing Image...

D 03:32:57 GenerateFileLBA_DVDVideo - Start/End LBA Match - File: VTS_02_2.VOB

D 03:32:57 GenerateFileLBA_DVDVideo - Start (With Padding)/End LBA Match - File: VTS_02_2.VOB

Right after this i get the 'Unable to find cells' warning message.

Unfortunately, It doesn't seem to give a Potential LB position at all so I am stuck here.

I tried playing with VobBlanker, and when i open the folder in it, it looks like the picture attached.

After that i'm kinda lost regarding what i should do, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

TSR

Edit: Btw, when i use the Pgcedit tutorial by blutach, i get the second picture and cannot set the layer break either.

Edit2: Here is the media as detected by IMGburn:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 4?171?712

Free Space: 8?543?666?176 bytes

Free Time: 927:04:62 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2x; 4x

DVD?R DL Boundary Information:

L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2?092?896

Changeable: No

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: MKM 01RD30

post-91-1166974990_thumb.png

post-91-1166974997_thumb.png

post-91-1166975495_thumb.png

Edited by TheShadowRunner

Hey Guys, i need help as well.

I'm trying to burn a VIDEO_TS folder on a Verbatim DVD-R DL (MCC) 8.5GB media.

The size of the folder is 8 410 038 272.

When i load it in IMGBurn, i get the same error as the previous user : Unable to find any cells that could be used etc..

I could be wrong but the reason might be because the layer break on a -DL disc is not changeable. Because of that you cannot set where you want the layer break to be. If I'm correct, the way around the problem is to use +DL discs.

Btw...All -DL discs, including Verbatim, are crap! whatever_01.gif

Edited by Movie Junkie

Thanks guys for all the reports on the media but that doesn't help much.

Anyway, you say the best DVD+R DL are from Verbatim, so I expect manufactured from Mitsubishi (MKM) and the very DVD-R DL i'm trying right now is manufactured by Mitsubishi too (MKM mediaID).

Also, it's the only media i have available now, i really wish there is a solution.

LIGHTNING, blutach, hoping to hear from you ;)

Later,

TSR

there is only one solution- use +R DL discs, -R DL dont work for dvd films as you can't set the layer break

Well that's incorrect, i've already burned 2 of these exact Verbatim DVD-R DL media with huge movies on them and they work perfeclty.

Isn't there maybe an authoring software that could re-author my VIDEO_TS folder and put a layer break at the correct position?

Later,

TSR

there is only one solution- use +R DL discs, -R DL dont work for dvd films as you can't set the layer break
Don't waste your breath Corny. I already told him that and his response was;

Thanks guys for all the reports on the media but that doesn't help much.

If he feels that telling him the probable cause of his problem "doesn't help much" then I doubt repeating it will help.

Don't get the wrong message guys, i really do appreciate you trying to help with my issue ;)

It's just that i feel there is most likely another alternative to buying new media, i just don't know which yet.

Since:

- I've already burnt huge movies on this exact media with no problem whatsoever.

- I'm only using 98% of the disc with this VIDEO_TS folder so there is a little space of action available i guess.

Later,

TSR

Hey Shadow, unfortunately the guys are right, it is media. -RDL discs don't allow layer break setting. You might have got lucky with the movies that worked for you because the layer break fell correctly on the burn without any padding being needed. You will hit a movie though that the layer break position must be changed and only the +RDL discs will allow this. Thats way most of us reccommend Verbs + RDL s' for dual layer burning. :)

Like all the above posts, it's the physical make up of the -R/DL discs that make them crap for movies, not the quality of them. It's a set layer break that can not be altered, so if your movie doesn't fall within that speck, you can not do anything to alter it.

This is why in the guides section corny says use +R/DL not -R.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, update.

Before i bought DVD+R DL, i went on the doom9 forum to make sure that was absolutely no way for my current DVD9 project to be burnt on DVD-R DL like you all said.

Well there was a very simple way to do it as described here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=930813#post930813

I didn't reauthor anything, just used VobBlanker and that was it.

Produced DVD-R DL works flawlessly here on standalone Pioneer DV636D

Later,

TSR

Nobody said it was impossible, just that you can't set the layerbreak position on DVD-R DL media and that's why you were getting the initial error message that you were.

VobBlanker has changed the structure of the IFO's and there are now more options available to you.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted in the end.

Next time just buy DVD+R DL instead and save yourself a lot of messing around ;)

Guys, update.

Before i bought DVD+R DL, i went on the doom9 forum to make sure that was absolutely no way for my current DVD9 project to be burnt on DVD-R DL like you all said.

Well there was a very simple way to do it as described here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=930813#post930813

I didn't reauthor anything, just used VobBlanker and that was it.

Produced DVD-R DL works flawlessly here on standalone Pioneer DV636D

Later,

TSR

I not sure why you did all of that. I get the feeling that you had to try to prove, that the people who tried to help you were wrong. The reason I get that feeling is that even though Verbatim DVD+R DL discs are MUCH, MUCH better than the Verbatim DVD-R DL and they also cost less and you would have done less work to get them to work correctly, you had to search until you found a solution that worked for you. Then when it worked you came back here to tell us we were wrong. It would have been much easier for you just to use the +R DL media.

I'm not that twisted Movie Junkie, i just happened to have a few -R DL left that I wanted to use before investing in +R DL.

That's all ;)

Later,

TSR

I have no reason to doubt your sincerity so I stand corrected and I apologize for thinking what I did. handshake5cd.gif

Edited by Movie Junkie

-R DL dont work for dvd films as you can't set the layer break

Have I right understood that LB-point is predetermined on the edge of the -R(DL)-media and can't be changed ?

Must whole L0 be filled to the edge of disk in this case ?

Can any length gaps be inserted on the -R DL ?

Thanks!

Thanks, I'm going for + :)

But my friend has a lot of -R(DL). He has bought it some time ago for his writing standalone. Now he want to burn it on PC for DVD-Video. My English is bad, but his English is zero and he want of my help.

I want to understand, what I must to do with Scenarist's project for good burning -R(DL) by ImgBurn. As I understood, -R(DL) has predetermined LB on the edge of the media. I'll be very much appreciated, if anybody say me of the sectors range, where this LB is predetermined.

Thanks a lot!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.