Fmr President Gerald Ford passes @93

Pain_Man

capt.ny14712270526.obit_gerald_ford_ny147.jpg

Gerald Ford dead at 93

The only president neither elected to the Presidency or the Vice Presidency, Ford died last night at his home in California.

He and Abraham Lincoln were the only Presidents to testify before Congressional committees. (Lincoln appeared to defend accusations that his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, was pro-Southern.)

{The story's not completely objective, but then, what is?}

capt.ny14712270526.obit_gerald_ford_ny147.jpg

Gerald Ford dead at 93

The only president neither elected to the Presidency or the Vice Presidency, Ford died last night at his home in California.

He and Abraham Lincoln were the only Presidents to testify before Congressional committees. (Lincoln appeared to defend accusations that his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, was pro-Southern.)

theres a few people still healing from being struck by golf balls he hit ,Chevy Chase used to lampoon him pretty good on SNL

You know, polo, I had forgotten about that. But it's true. He did strike a couple of people with golf balls; but that was post-presidential I believe.

He later became friendly with Chase.

He was one of the best collegiate football players of his generation. He helped lead lead the University of Michigan to two National Titles.

He was offered contracts by the Packers and the Bears. But, in those days, football players made so little, that nearly all of them--even the star players--had a summer jobs (often inconstruction since in those days it was exclusively a summer pursuit since the concrete they had then wouldn't set in cold weather).

So he chose law school, graduating at the top of his class. Good choice. Only boxers, in those days, made big bucks in sports. (Excluding, of course, the Bambino.)

Gerald Ford dead at 93

theres a few people still healing from being struck by golf balls he hit ,Chevy Chase used to lampoon him pretty good on SNL

Bob Hope had a great quote on Fords golfing

"It's not hard to find Jerry Ford on a golf course ? you just follow the wounded."

I know I am getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators. ~Gerald Ford

I would like to deny all allegations by Bob Hope that during my last game of golf, I hit an eagle, a birdie, an elk and a moose. ~Gerald Ford

he had a good sense of humor :thumbup:

Polo beat me to Hope's quote! :)

Ford had a few great quips of his own. About his notoriously bad golfing, he said that people would shout "FORD!" instead of "FORE!" when he got onto the green! :lol: And, said at an appearance in Chicago, I think, at an automobile plant: "I'm no Lincoln. I'm just a Ford." :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.