When does 'RW' not mean 'RW' ?!

scuzzy

(sorry - bit of a noob question I fear ...)

A friend recently gave me two boxes of jewel-cased Sony brand DVD blanks (they'd bought them by mistake, meaning to buy CD-Rs, and only having a CDRW), and I noticed both the box and the disc cases bear the 'RW' logo, like this :

RWlogo.png

as well as the legend "DVD+R", in somewhat bigger letters.

So I thought "Great ! They're RW discs into the bargain ! I can run tests and experiments with them, and just wipe them again afterwards". But it seems I was wrong - it looks like the 'RW' logo may just refer to the "DVD+RW Alliance" (http://www.dvdrw.com/), and the disks aren't rewritable in any sense, and I've just wasted 4 discs ... haven't I ?

At any rate, ImgBurn now says the discs I've played with (I tried formatting them, and setting the booktype) have "Status: Incomplete", and it refuses to play with them again. ImgBurn has also said "Erasable: No" from the beginning, but I just thought that meant "nothing to erase" (they said "Status: Empty" at first).

Drat ... they're not RW disks, are they ? >_<

(sorry - bit of a noob question I fear ...)

A friend recently gave me two boxes of jewel-cased Sony brand DVD blanks (they'd bought them by mistake, meaning to buy CD-Rs, and only having a CDRW), and I noticed both the box and the disc cases bear the 'RW' logo, like this :

RWlogo.png

as well as the legend "DVD+R", in somewhat bigger letters.

So I thought "Great ! They're RW discs into the bargain ! I can run tests and experiments with them, and just wipe them again afterwards". But it seems I was wrong - it looks like the 'RW' logo may just refer to the "DVD+RW Alliance" (http://www.dvdrw.com/), and the disks aren't rewritable in any sense, and I've just wasted 4 discs ... haven't I ?

At any rate, ImgBurn now says the discs I've played with (I tried formatting them, and setting the booktype) have "Status: Incomplete", and it refuses to play with them again. ImgBurn has also said "Erasable: No" from the beginning, but I just thought that meant "nothing to erase" (they said "Status: Empty" at first).

No they're not RW discs.

No you haven't wasted them. They are still good for coasters. :rolleyes:

Don't worry you haven't lost anything. Being Sony discs, they were only good for coasters even before you wrote to them. sarcasm.gif

Edited by Movie Junkie

No they're not RW discs.

Okay, thanks. What were they thinking of, picking such an icon for their organisation ...

/me starts looking for a DVD+RW Alliance person to punch ...

Don't worry you haven't lost anything. Being Sony discs, they were only good for coasters even before you wrote to them.

I so know what you mean ... but at least I didn't pay for them.

they just keep on doing it as well, traxdata +r have RW on each disc, i have also seen these on many other manufacturers discs, tip disc over to writing side you will see its kinda grey RW or purple worm @(write once read many) or in the case of the poorer media worn, Write Once Read Never

Edited by dontasciime

Don't worry you haven't lost anything. Being Sony discs, they were only good for coasters even before you wrote to them.

sony has some good discs...but you gotta be lucky to find any these days...they used to be TY's for the made in japan dvds (8x). There are supposed to be some 16x ty's from sony as well but its pretty rare to find.

sony has some good discs ... they used to be TY's for the made in japan dvds (8x). There are supposed to be some 16x ty's from sony as well

For the record, these are 4x (maybe they're old) made by Ricoh - media code = "RICOHJPN-R01-02".

I shan't ever actually be buying any - as with many folks Sony is on my boycott list these days for multiple reasons. :nuke:

Thanks everyone for clearing up my confusion :&#39;(

Mmm I might be wrong but a couple of years back I think I had discs with those dye and they were brilliant. Mind you if they were the same they were very difficult to get hold of. I would have to find some of my original burns to verify that and also whether or not they will still play :&#39;(

When you buy Memorex-badged Ritek 8x DVD+RWs! I've got ten and they are WORTHLESS!!!

Seriously, the best way, if unsure, is to read the package. The logos are unhelpful. If it's an RW, it'll say something like, "Can be rewritten 1000 times." (or 100,000 in the case of DVD-RAMs).

And if anyone finds any 12x RAM discs for sale in the US, PLEASE let me know!!!

Don't worry you haven't lost anything. Being Sony discs, they were only good for coasters even before you wrote to them. sarcasm.gif

I must to disagree with esteemed colleague here.

I've been using both Sony DVDRs and CDRs and have had only a few coasters (and those have been CDRs).

In fact, Sony 8x DVD+Rs (with a purple label) are actually Taiyo Yudens--the absolute best on the market (and the inventers of the CDR). Sony's yellow label -R 8x'ers have also proven to be quite good in my experience.

The Sony item number: 25DPR47LS3

These are Yuden000-T02-00s. Muy bitchin'

And, with a 96% success rate after 355,000+ burns, here's the proof of how good they are:

SonyTaiyoRebadgeNumbers.png

The RW logo is the DVD+RW Alliance Logo. It was created entirely as a means to not pay for the DVD Logo license. Of course, if they made a few sheckles by charging to use THEIR logo, so be it. Now, here's ironic thing. Remember the introduction of DVD? It was touted, at first, because they had taken active steps to produce ONE format, to purposefully avoid the Beta VS. VHS war. So, after DVD-R comes out, some groups get together to collude to charge extra for no real reason. Save a pittance but charge even MORE than they save to come out ahead. :greedy: And, in the end, the few advantages + offers is not worth it in terms of compatibility with players.

So, yes, the RW Logo is applied to both DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

I just got through a hundred cakestack of Sony's and only had 2 that had to be reburned. That's a 98% success rate. Not bad IMO. :D

As for the RW logo, I do believe, yes, that they chose it to trick just that many more people as they could into picking up their brand and getting the license fee for themselves. :greedy:

I must to disagree with esteemed colleague here.

I've been using both Sony DVDRs and CDRs and have had only a few coasters (and those have been CDRs).

In fact, Sony 8x DVD+Rs (with a purple label) are actually Taiyo Yudens--the absolute best on the market (and the inventers of the CDR). Sony's yellow label -R 8x'ers have also proven to be quite good in my experience.

The Sony item number: 25DPR47LS3

These are Yuden000-T02-00s. Muy bitchin'

And, with a 96% success rate after 355,000+ burns, here's the proof of how good they are:

Verbatims are the only way to go. With well over 1200 (counting both DVD5 and DVD9 discs) burns I have had a success rate greater then 99%. I am not exaggerating. I have had no more than 2 or 3 unsuccessful burns in more than 2 years of burning.

Verbatims are the only way to go. With well over 1200 (counting both DVD5 and DVD9 discs) burns I have had a success rate greater then 99%. I am not exaggerating. I have had no more than 2 or 3 unsuccessful burns in more than 2 years of burning.

:thumbup: same here although I've burned a couple of spindles of Yudens and they're excellent the Verbs are easier to find locally

:thumbup: same here although I've burned a couple of spindles of Yudens and they're excellent the Verbs are easier to find locally

I was concerned about getting TY fakes and that was my main reason for purchasing Verbs but now I'm glad I did. They are much more plentiful, cheaper and I haven't heard about any fake ones. Hopefully the quality of the Verbatim discs will continue.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.