Verbatim DVD-RW 2x

Movie Junkie

I've had a few problems with errors on my DVD-RW media. When I do a full format of the disc it is error free but when I put data on it I will sometimes find an error on the disc (not always the same spot). It was suggested to me by someone I know at Verbatim Tech Support that it's best to do a full erase and then do a full format. I have done that a few times and I haven't had any problems with errors.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why it should be done this way?

Verbatim has never given me problems in replacing any discs that I have returned (usually cosmetic issues like scratches) so I don't think they are trying to keep from sending me replacements. Plus, as I said, they were correct because I haven't run into any errors since I started doing what they said.

I don't tend to use RW's an awful lot so can't really give you a lot of experience on this MJ :/ That said maybe the full erase better prepares the disc for re-writing and that is why Verbatim recommend it. I would suspect a faulty disc if the error was in the same place but you have said it's not so maybe the errors are from the quick format process ?

I've never had a lot of luck with RW media. I used to record cartoons and stuff off Sky for my son using RW and recording over once he'd watched them, but soon I would start getting recording and playback errors. Some of them I threw away straight out of the box cos they wouldn't record.

The way RW works will always make for poor, ongoing recording in my view.

Imgburn seems to be the only tool which does a proper format. Nero don't it seems to me, and what these DVD recorders do to a disc is anybodys guess. I've given up on RW and now use R or H/D.

I don't tend to use RW's an awful lot so can't really give you a lot of experience on this MJ :/ That said maybe the full erase better prepares the disc for re-writing and that is why Verbatim recommend it. I would suspect a faulty disc if the error was in the same place but you have said it's not so maybe the errors are from the quick format process ?

I use them for my daily backups and then when they are full I make an ISO and copy it to a DVD-R. I guess the full erase does better prepare the disc for the full format but since I would always do a full format (never a quick format) anyway before reusing the disc I don't really understand why it better prepares it.

Imgburn seems to be the only tool which does a proper format. Nero don't it seems to me, and what these DVD recorders do to a disc is anybodys guess. I've given up on RW and now use R or H/D.

I use InCD to do a full erase and full format. Over the past month or so, since I've been doing the full erase/format, I haven't had any problems. When I was just doing the full format, and having problems, it was still being done with InCD. At least for now it appears that the procedure that Verbatim told me to do was correct.

InCD was one of those packet writer software progs that used to upset an old dear departed software friend of ours .

I dont know if its still an issue with IB though. I havent heard mention of packet writers for some time now, so maybe its not a problem anymore

I've never used IB on an RW disc so I'm not sure if there is a conflict or not. I still use that old dear departed friend but I've never used that with an RW either. What sort of conflict did it cause?

I don't use InCD anymore as I suspect it caused a lot of the record & playback probs I was getting. It formats (it says) in 3min whereas Imgburn takes about 15 and doesn't recognise a format done by InCD and always wants to format again.

Other forums I visit always recommend removing InCD because of, as has been said, conflict issues esp with Roxio. It even needs its own clean tool to remove and it causes a lot of burn failures with Nero - very odd as its part of Nero.

Before I started using Imgburn I burnt with Nero and had loads of playback problems. Thats why using Imgburn came a such a pleasant surprise. It burns a lot quicker than Nero, even when its being held back to 8x on 16x media, with no burn failures or playback probs. All the focus with Imgburn is on the burning, with its formatting ability being overlooked, but I'm starting to think this is a major strength of the prog.

So my advice, and this is really bizarre considering where we are, is remove InCd and reformat all you RW's with Imgburn. Also, I don't know if you guys have tested Verbatim +RW, but the quality is not as good as their +R. I gave up on them and switched to Phillips...

Edited by Altercuno

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.