Region Code for Burner

Michael

Your burner (and any other DVD drives) should be set to your region. If you're not sure what region you're in, the little map in the link below can help.

http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html

If you don't set your drive's region, it's possible that another application (like PowerDVD) will set the region of the drive without your knowledge, possibly the wrong region.

Yes, I found that happened Shamus. My first ever DVD drive (Pioneer OEM) came without a region code yet set, and WinDVD set it (without asking me mind you) :angry: , the first time I put a region coded DVD in. Unfortunately, although the disc I put in says region 4 all over the packaging, the disc itself was actually Region code 2 and 4 (not RCE - just saving on production costs I guess). I've since noticed that quite a number of my discs are similarly coded.

If memory serves this confused the heck out of me :unsure: , wondering why I was having trouble with my Region 4 only discs. Eventually worked out what had happened.

Answer to the question is "no." ImgBurn doesn't require a region to be set on the DVD writer.

My Dell Latitude X1 laptop (all of 1.1 kg) has an external DVD writer. I've never set the region code nor has my PowerDVD software. You don't need to set the region code to rip a DVD, and I always remove region code when ripping. Since I never play the original (it gets archived), and only play backups, region codes are irrelevant to PowerDVD.

Usually I just keep 3 or 4 DVD titles in separate VIDEO TS folders on the X1's hard drive - entertainment on those long economy-seat plane trips or whatever. PowerDVD does play VIDEO TS files from the HD quite nicely. The hard drive option uses less laptop battery than the external DVD drive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.