PS3

Altercuno

Thinking of buying the PS3 for my son. Seems a bit pricey at ?425. Any thoughts? :mellow:

A cheap Blu-Ray player. Not very keen on the rest of it though. If my 700MHz XBox has trouble dealing with scene demos from a 7MHz Amiga, how much power do you think you'll need to properly emulate a 200MHz PS2? Sony (in their infinite wisdom) has removed the hardware required to play PS2 games and will now ship PAL units with a PS2 emulator instead.

Just fabulous.

been keeping an eye on Sonys latest mess ,they decided to use cheaper chipsets in the PS3 while jacking up the price and in their rush to market created another mess for themselves .I wouldn't bother with anything that wasn't backwards compatible with the previous models games .Before I rushed out to get one I 'd wait and see how it plays out at 425 they are not cheap

Did they go ahead with their ridiculous idea or the games being registerable with the console?

ie. when you buy a game its registered to that console only, this was their idea to stop piracy. Problem is it would kill the secondhand game market for this console. Its something that was mentioned in its infancy, but not heard anything about this lately.

I personally wouldnt buy one, Ive got an Xbox 360 that I dont touch, played Call of Duty 3, completed it and not touched the thing for 3 months now.

Far prefer playing games on my pc for now.

Did they go ahead with their ridiculous idea or the games being registerable with the console?

Dunno. It'd be easy enough to find out. It certainly wouldn't surprise me though.

I personally wouldnt buy one, Ive got an Xbox 360 that I dont touch, played Call of Duty 3, completed it and not touched the thing for 3 months now.

I don't have a 360. Never really saw the need. If the last part of the Oddworld Quintology were ever released on the 360 (which ain't going to happen, apparently), I'd buy one just for it but until then....

Far prefer playing games on my pc for now.

Like what? The last *really* good PC game I played was Starcraft. What would you recommend?

Sony hav gotten lazy in my opinion. PS3 might hav some powerful new chip but in terms of innovation it no better than a PS2. Whose bright idea

was it to remove the rumble feature and replace with tilt function which i might add is a blatant rip off of the Wii's Controller.

The only thing it s got going and the reason that joe public will buy, is for a cheap bluray player. Not sure why you would

use it to run an OS in the case of maybe using linux but with 256mb of ram dont expect to do anything other then

web browsing.

Apparently 360 is practically as powerful as ps3 and even if that wasnt true, it gonna take years for 2nd and 3rd

party game developers to take full advantage of the hardware. Most games are crossplatform anyway so

i ll stick wit a 360 and its half decent HD DVD drive. Ever heard of Xbox live. 6million users and counting.

Dont even ask about Sony's online service.

You can buy a bluray writer for about ?400. More and more people watch ther media on a

pc anyway so why bother. Not entirely convinced about the bluray format either.

Only thing that will keep it in circulation, 5 years from now is sony new

console <cough> PC hybrid.

Just in case u think i work for MS, i actually think the Wii will domintae despite the fact that

I wont buy one.

Oh and regardless of whether u own a console or PC, the game market is kinda stagnant.

Needs a revolution or a kick in the ass. Last great game i played was back in the

90's.

Depends what floats your boat m8.

I dont play a lot of games really.

I play in a clan for Call of Duty 2.

F.E.A.R is brilliant for a fps game.

Used to play Unreal Tournament 2004, the new 2007 version when it arrives should be very good.

Also waiting for Medal of Honour Airbourne to arrive, that looks brilliant.

But like I said, depends what you like to play.

Didnt pay for the 360 either, if I had I think I would have been kicking myself now.

Edited by DasReich

Just giving Altercuno a heads up but yeah at TEOTD, its all subjective isnt it.

Didnt pay for the 360 either, if I had I think I would have been kicking myself now

Whys that. This year gonna be great for the 360. Especially if its Flashed.

Oh and i reall enjoyed Guild Wars. Never really spent a lot of time gaming but managed to clock up 200hrs on that 1 lol

Edited by RushOrDie

poor decision to take out hardware, oh well i think when mine arrives and i find out that pal def won't play my sons ps2 i think whilst updating firmware I'll pull the plug and send it back, actually from the horror stories about poor build i probs will not need to worry about it not being faulty anyways

Whose bright idea was it to remove the rumble feature and replace with tilt function which i might add is a blatant rip off of the Wii's Controller.

They pulled the rumble feature because they were being sued for copyright infringment over it. Recently settled, there is talk it will be re-instated ie buy another controller.

I too am starting to wonder if that $700 wouldn't be better off buying a 8800 GTX vcard >_<

Just finished FEAR and Prey, great games, will move on to Half Life 2 next (I'm the only gamer in the world that hasn't played it yet :lol: , but I won't pay $70 for a PC game anymore either).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.