Optimal settings for creating an ISO

Sunbeam

Need create an ISO from CD (data CD), to make an exact copy of software media. What is ImgBurn optimal settings for this? Image Options(File System, Preserve Full Patchnames, etc, etc). The better will be if someone post step-by-step instruction, text format will be enough, no pictures is needed.

Also, what is MDS file?(ImgBurn project settings?)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have read, no clear. Its not for backuping DVD Video discs.

I need build ISO from data CDs, to create software backup.

1) what from this 3 file system should be used?

ISO9660

ISO9660 + Joliet

ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF

2) "From the Labels tab you can give your iso the name you want it to have." Not clear. We already set ISO name in previous step? (when choose Destination - ISO name)

3) "Restrictions" - what should be set -

ISO9660: Level 1, Level2, Level X?

Allow More..

Allow More..

Allow Full..

Dont Add..

Joliet

Level 1

Level X

4) "Make Image Bootable can be checked if you want to make a bootable image" -is this necessary when we build ISO from software media CD?(bootable itself)

If ImgBurn is able to read the files on the CD it will make a copy of them as they are on the original disc, if they are compressed with winrar for instance that is how they will be read. I don't believe ImgBurn will attempt to uncompress them as it just reads the disc contents as files.

You can then use the Write facility to write the contents back to another disc.

So, if I understand correctly, ImgBurn can read only uncompressed files. So, how to create ISO image from CD? Unfortunately, program contains no help file, even simple. However, probably ImgBurn just not intended to be used for creation of an ISO image, as I know, most users use Magic ISO or UltraISO for this task.

Is there better programs that can do this task correctly?

Edited by Sunbeam

So, if I understand correctly, ImgBurn can read only uncompressed files. So, how to create ISO image from CD? Unfortunately, program contains no help file, even simple. However, probably ImgBurn just not intended to be used for creation of an ISO image, as I know, most users use Magic ISO or UltraISO for this task.

IB creates ISO's in build mode ,have you bothered to read the cd to your hard drive ? doesn't look like it ,IB does not uncompress anything its not one of its functions ,for a look I read my sound blaster software CD to my HD and it was an ISO ,try to read it and see what happens

"So, if I understand correctly, ImgBurn can read only uncompressed files."

False IB reads compressed stuff I make copies of compressed dvd's without any problems, do you think it would be any different because its a CD, will you read the disc to your HD already please and post the log when you do

IB creates ISO's in build mode ,have you bothered to read the cd to your hard drive ? doesn't look like it ,IB does not uncompress anything its not one of its functions ,for a look I read my sound blaster software CD to my HD and it was an ISO ,try to read it and see what happens

"So, if I understand correctly, ImgBurn can read only uncompressed files."

False IB reads compressed stuff I make copies of compressed dvd's without any problems, do you think it would be any different because its a CD, will you read the disc to your HD already please and post the log when you do

I inserted CD into CDRom, selected "Read" Mode in ImgBurn, selected output file destination, then click 'Read' button. After program finished, I got 83MB WinRAR archive on my harddrive. I this what need be done to create ISO? There is also 'Build' Mode that do the same thing, and I can select D:\ drive in 'Source' window. Finally got 69.6MB RAR archive + some .mds file. The difference is that is right pane appears 4 tabs Inform, Options, Labels, Advanced with various settings, which purpose is not very clear. So what from this RAR archive can be considered as correct "ISO"? (if it can create correct ISO at all).

Edited by Sunbeam

Unless it was already a Winrar archive it won't have been converted into one by ImgBurn, I think what has happened is that ISO's are associated with winrar on your pc - you can change this so that the files do not look like winrar files if you are going to get confused :)

The file should be an iso so now use the write option to burn it back to disc and see if that is what you wanted !

Unless it was already a Winrar archive it won't have been converted into one by ImgBurn, I think what has happened is that ISO's are associated with winrar on your pc - you can change this so that the files do not look like winrar files if you are going to get confused :)

The file should be an iso so now use the write option to burn it back to disc and see if that is what you wanted !

Yes, my ISO files is associated with WinRAR, and I will not change this. Which from these two ISO can be considered as "correct" ISO?

Edited by Sunbeam

Erm the correct one is the one you created with ImgBurn I would say wouldn't you ? Look at the details part under windows explorer and match the one to the time/date you created it ? Not sure why you would want ISO files associated with winrar tho :/

Ok I see you have edited your previous post with some more info - to be honest I think you are making this much harder than you need to :wacko:

The steps are very easy:

1. Use ImgBurn to read the CD/DVD with the files you want to backup and note where you save them.

2. Switch ImgBurn to Write mode and select the same file you saved under step 1 above and burn to CD/DVD

That's it, I can't understand why you are getting files of different sizes when following these steps ?

you do not have to associate ISO images with winrar to be able to manipulate or extract ISO images with winrar

Untick it in associations in Winrar so as to simplify any help you can receive

its a simple process, put unprotected CD OR unprotected DVD into DVD reader, switch to ISO read mode in ImgBurn, select reader, then choose destination eg where you want to store ISO created by read / then switch to write mode and burn

Sunbeam, you're making this sound far more difficult / complex than it actually is!

As dontasciime just said, the simplest (and I guess, most correct) method of creating an ISO from an existing disc is to use 'Read' mode.

It's not rocket science, you just put the disc in the drive and click the 'Read' button!

The 'Destination' file path+name is automatically generated so you don't even have to do that! Just read where the program is putting the file and that's all you need to know.

It looks I'm complicated this. Using 'Read' Mode to create iso is very easy.

OK, I unassociated ISO with WinRAR, ISO icon remains without changes, though, the same. (!)

But what is created when use 'Build' Mode??? When I use 'Read' Mode, I get iso file 83MB, in File Properties: Type of file: WinRAR archive.

When try 'Build' Mode, which step is very similar, I get 68.8MB iso + 4.21KB .mds file; file Properties have tab 'Archive' that show 'ISO9660 archive' ..

Can I set new file name for iso(before Reading) in Destination > 'Browse for file' > Save As dialog?

Edited by Sunbeam

have you got ISO ticked in ImgBurn settings

if that does not work then look for an ISO you have on hard drive and right click and choose open with, tick box always open with and look for ImgBurn in list if its not there browse to program file and fine ImgBurn.exe and choose that

or right click on an ISO and choose properties then change the opens with to ImgBurn

Unless the default application for .ISO file is changed to something else, they might well still be shown with the winrar icon.

If you have 'ISO' checked and 'Set ImgBurn As Default Application' checked within the ImgBurn settings, the ISO files will then get a nice ImgBurn icon instead. (You have to close the program for the changes to take effect)

'Build' mode also creates ISO files but it's making a totally new image / filesystem based on the files/folders you've selected - and there are LOADS of options associated with all that - hence why it's more complicated.

When you use 'Read' mode, the entire disc is read sector by sector so you get a 1:1 copy.

Can I set new file name for iso(before Reading) in Destination > 'Browse for file' > Save As dialog?

Yes, of course you can! I was simply showing you how easy 'Read' mode *could* be if you accepted the default destination file etc - i.e. it's pretty much 1 click.

Yes, the ISO box is ticked in ImgBurn settings(it was default).

'Set ImgBurn As Default Application' - default for what tasks? I would like to leave Nero as main burning application. Nero put own icon on .NRG files only.

I changed to open iso with ImgBurn via file Properties > Opens with..

The 'Build' Mode should be used when create ISO from folders on hard drive?

Edited by Sunbeam

The ISO file association checkbox is not enough on it's own.

All that does is add an entry to the context menu when you right click on an ISO file that says 'Burn using ImgBurn'.

To get the icon to change, ImgBurn must be the default app (via the 'Set ImgBurn As Default Application' checkbox in the ImgBurn settins), whereby double clicking on the ISO file will then launch ImgBurn.

Of course if your HKCR\.ISO registry key is screwed up, this might not work.

If the CD you got is something whereby you check size of it in windows and it reports as being way over the capacity of a CDR and you use build mode, chances are the file system is using symbolic links and when you try to create it with build mode you will end up with an ISO in the region of 4 gig. If this CD is like that you will only be able to read it and write it to CD if you use read mode so forget about Build mode.

What is the Cd your trying to Read anyways, something to do with linux or ?

For experiment I used just a casual disk that was near at hand, some data, pdf, exe, cab files.

I need backup to iso office11(2003) CD, 10 folders, when copy content from Cd on hard drive, total folder size is 1.05GB..

Ok I see you have edited your previous post with some more info - to be honest I think you are making this much harder than you need to :wacko:

The steps are very easy:

1. Use ImgBurn to read the CD/DVD with the files you want to backup and note where you save them.

2. Switch ImgBurn to Write mode and select the same file you saved under step 1 above and burn to CD/DVD

That's it, I can't understand why you are getting files of different sizes when following these steps ?

I don't want to appear rude but did you actually try this above ? I was hoping to read today that you had and all had been successful however I am not sure from your post above whether you even did the disc you originally wanted to !!

Your only concern is surely whether the source disc is CD or DVD, once you know this you simply select the same type of blank media and follow the simple 2 steps above.....

Please please just try it..... >_<

I tried Read with real CD, get ISO image. OK, it works. (before doing any work, just need know what I do and make sure that I do this correctly).

Can I verify my ISO image - compare it against a given CD media to ensure the actual data is correct? If so, how? And in contrary - compare CD against a given ISO.

I want clarify for a Build mode - create an image file from files on computer( Build - Image File), there is much more configurable parameters.

1) what file systems should be used for data files?

ISO9660

ISO9660 + Joliet

ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF

2) "Restrictions" tab -> ISO9660 - Joliet - UDF tabs: what should be set there?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.