BluRay Outselling HD-DVD

Aten

Thought this info might be of interest considering more and more programs are making the jump and including support for HD-DVD

and BR Reading and Writing. Also counterpoints a point of view i made a couple of weeks ago although perhaps its still too early

to say which format will reign supreme over the next few years.

What? It's already over? Over at Cheapassgamer.com, folks are posting that the Xbox 360 HD DVD player is being marked down at Walmart to US $130 from its retail price of $199.99. What's more, apparently Walmart has cleared out its HD DVD players. Reader superatt sends word that The New York Post reports that HD DVD is being outsold by Blu-ray -- Since the PS3 went on sale, Blu-ray sales have jumped to nearly three times that of HD DVD. -Xbox Scene-

Looks like BR is guranteed succes based on ps3 sales. That would of course only remain true so long as sales of ps3 were consistent. Sonys stated that there new console will be around for 10 years (b4 the next upgrade) and with price cuts to follow, BluRay could very well be the dominat format.

I reckon the market will be probably support both formats much like the five or six that presently exist today. Interesting nonethless.

Im just looking forward to when i can buy verbatim DL for 0.30-0.40p a disk. So much for the new kids on the block.

Just came across reports about a price drop for PS3:

Following comments from Sony chairman and CEO Sir Howard Stringer, indicating concern that the PlayStation 3's high price could cause it to underperform at market, an analyst at Goldman Sachs has suggested that the console's price will be cut this October in the U.S.

The news has already been widely reported in the business media, with analyst Yuji Fujimori indicating that he expects the price to drop by as much as $100, ahead of the run-up to the all important Christmas 2007 gift buying season.

UK PS3 will likely do the same as ?425 is quite maddening. I could build a really decent pc for that kinda dough.

?325 for a decent BR player anyone? Sounds a little more managable doesnt it. ?299 and id be up for it.

I am holding onto my ?'s for now as,

i) I can't see any truly great games around for the PS3 yet

ii) I want to see how Sony gets on with the bastardised emulation software in the European PS3's before I leap in.

iii) There is nearly always a price cut after an initial period of high sales cos the console is new. Once the lull sets in Sony will want to keep it in the news and selling upto Christmas.

Good points lfc :thumbup:

Launch titles are usually rubbish...

We're paying a lot more for a ps3 with emulation...Sony won't win many friends like that...

Wait and see what happens...or maybe go with a 360...

As to which format will win...? The looser will be the one I buy...never have any luck like that...

I looked at a 360 but when you add in the price of the HD-DVD player (to make it roughly comparable with the PS3) I couldn't see much of a price advantage. Yeah it does have more games out now as its been out for months compared to the PS3 but I have been Sony since the PS so will probably stick with them. The way I see it most games are now multi platform so that decision is not so crucial, I know each has their own "unique" titles so I guess that may sway it in the end.

Sony's stated that there new console will be around for 10 years (b4 the next upgrade) and with price cuts to follow

Thats cos their on their arses, law suits, recalls, more law suits, lawsuits against other companies like lik sang, ps3 higher than normal development costs/ delays, now their competition are way ahead in titles available and sales, not selling as much shit as they had hoped, law suit against them for rumble, big pay outs, compensation claims for root kit cheek, ooh and their peanut and banana bill went up.

Thats why in their wisdom they have decided to cut cost by removing 50 pence worth of hardware from each European console but by doing so have added ?1 per console in development costs to get emulator to actually run some games.

And exploding laptop batteries and Nintendo having them by the shorts.

Not much sympathy for Sony around the internet though, especially after lik sang & cloaked root kits.

I agree with lfc though, they are a hard company to walk away from game wise.

And exploding laptop batteries and Nintendo having them by the shorts.

Anything that gets kids exercising is a good thing. Parents will look at the Wii just to get their sluggish kids moving around a bit.

Not much sympathy for Sony around the internet though, especially after lik sang & cloaked root kits.

Don't forget about the information sent to the $ony servers if the PS3 is allowed access to the internet. One of the things flying around the net a while back was Sonys' apparent ability to disable parts of the PS3 if information sent to their servers indicated it had been modified. Also, being able to completely disable Sony-branded Blu-Ray players that can play non-protected (allegedly copied) media if that player has net access (which is forced upon users in the form of firmware updates). They ain't winning many friends.

:( They should have just concentrated on releasing the bloody console without all the annoying mods they made to it. What's better a console with huge support and a very small % of modified versions or a console with smaller support locked up like virgins beetle bonnet ??

There is nearly always a price cut after an initial period of high sales cos the console is new. Once the lull sets in Sony will want to keep it in the news and selling upto Christmas.

360 been out for over a year and there pricing strategy has not changed with exception of the Core models which have dropped ?20 in the UK. Sony have shoot themselves in the foot really with a games console stacked with all these various technologies that hav driven its marketing price to an odd ?425 price tag. Sony are gonna be forced to drop the cost of the machine a lot sooner than any of its competitors because of the price and the blurring of its intended market (Is it a console, is it a PC and so fourth). If it was selling like hot cakes which is not the case, cost or reduction of, would not be an issue for them.

Probably means that 360 and wii will just stick with their current price tags even if ps3 drops theirs in the runnup to xmas 07.

Im actually more interested in the Blu Ray vs HD DVD debate though. Unless broadband speeds increase signicantly and Writers are able to burn at higher speeds than present 8x, they wont really take off will they?

Edited by RushOrDie

Im actually more interested in the Blu Ray vs HD DVD debate though. Unless boradband speeds increase signicantly and Writers are able to burn at higher speeds than present 8x, they wont really take off will they?

Why do you think that ? Perhaps I don't understand the question but similar to when people bought DVDs over VHS tapes it will be because of the improvement to HD picture quality. I am not sure where the broadband part comes into it nor the write speeds..... Probably me being :sleeping: again.

Having the ps3 phone home sounds familiar. Don't windows do it with its validation tool?

True. However, the Windows validation tool doesn't report what other software you're using or what you do with your PC. Sketchy and unsubstantiated rumour has it that the PS3 reports information about the machine itself.... which is a big no-no. Intel tried it once about 7 years ago with the serial ID thingy on their CPUs which was ruled illegal.

I am not sure where the broadband part comes into it nor the write speeds.....

Sort of a refernece to the download culutre we live in. 20-50GB dl @ my present 4mb service for one file

would be as much fun as watching paint dry. Burning these kinda files at 4-8x would be just as

frustrating.

The diffrence in quality between BR and HD isnt all that.

Edited by RushOrDie

Im actually more interested in the Blu Ray vs HD DVD debate though. Unless broadband speeds increase signicantly and Writers are able to burn at higher speeds than present 8x, they wont really take off will they?

Young people. :P You're not looking at the entire market. When VCRs first hit the scene about 25 years ago we didn't have computers or the internet or the other fangled contraptions we've all become used to. The maket exploded nevertheless because people *wanted* it. I remember video stores charging $100 just for the privilege of joining. Have no fear, young whippersnapper, there's a ready market for these things.

I am not sure where the broadband part comes into it nor the write speeds.....

Sort of a refernece to the download culutre we live in. 20-50GB dl @ my present 4mb service for one file

would be as much fun as watching paint dry. Burning these kinda files at 4-8x would be just as

frustrating.

The diffrence in quality between BR and HD isnt all that.

You could always buy the films !!! =)) I wondered if that is what you were referring to.... As Shamus said above the formats will take off cos people believe they need the latest of everything and that is what sells...

The last part about the quality - I haven't seen either of them in person but I always imagined that they would be very similar (Blu-Ray and DVD-HD) ! It's all about the step up from DVD isn't it ?

(Thanks Shamus, I haven't been called young in ages ! :D )

Market for watching BR/HD vs market for writing are what im getting at.

Things have change now since the 80's. More saturated now.

Market for watching BR/HD vs market for writing are what im getting at.

Yep. I got that bit. (I am paying attention. Honest!)

Things have change now since the 80's. More saturated now.

Oh contrare, Grasshopper. DVD did the same thing not that long ago. CDs before that. VHS before that. You can't make the assumption that the entire market share for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD is populated by knowledgeable and rich computer users with multi-terabyte HD capacity with multi-megabyte bandwidth and a degree in computer science. Your average consumer will want to plug a player into the wall and head off to the video shop to rent some movies. That's where the majority of the market is. At least for the time being. Personally, I'm a little dubious about the whole thing. 20 or 40 gigabytes seems awfully large for a movie when DVD produces stunning quality as it is. Perhaps the aim of the whole exercise is to create files that are so large they aren't worth the time or expense to download.

<conspiracy mode off>

Shamus you have missed the point mate, the film size is the same (approx 5-6gb) but now you get 20 hours of pointless extras in stunning HD quality

So I was right! It IS a conspiracy! We shall fight them on the beaches! We shall fight them on the landing grounds! We shall ...............

*cough*

Sorry. Listening to Iron Maiden and got a bit carried away there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.