Divx Ultra Discs & ImagBurn

Tom Saurus

I recently bought a program called Tmpgenc DVD Author 3 and it has the ability to take my mpeg2 files that typically I would be using to create a standard DVD Disc, or I can use it to squeeze about 5 and half hours of footage on the same disc in the Divx Ultra format. With a standalone Divx Ultra Player, I can play these discs.

When the program finishes authorizing these files it gives them a .divx extension and then I use ImagBurn to build an ISO image in the UDF format and then use ImagBurn to write this iso to a blank dvd r and then go through the verify process.

My suggestion is that "like when ImgBurn finds that the files I am trying to make an ISO of have a video ts and audio ts folder it sends a pop up that recommends I change to ISO 9960/UDF, can the program sense that this is suppose to be a UDF format disc. If one burns a "Divx Ultra" disc in ISO 9960/UDF mode it will not play in a standalone Divx Ultra Player. It must be burned in the UDF file format.

Since the majority of the time thus far I authorize my Mpeg2 files to the standard DVD format, I have forgot on one occasion to switch to the UDF format to build the .divx file to an ISO image.

Is there some way to program such a thing into a future version of ImgBurn?

Does a DivX Ultra disc need to have some kind of layout like DVD-Video discs do?

In other words, do you just burn a few *.divx in UDF format, or do you have to have some kind of folder structure to put the files inside?

mmalves: A Divx Ultra Standalone Player will alow you to access .divx and .xvid files that you put on a data disc. But the Divx Ultra Player allows you also to play discs that are in the Divx Ultra format and this format allows you the typical design and functionality of a regular DVD. I am referring to chapters, ect. TDA 3 allows me to chose between making a standard DVD or an Divx Ultra Disc. Having the ability to put more footage onto a disc has its appeals.

It is very handy when you want to put eight, 40 minutes episodes on a single disc or fourteen, 23 minute episodes to a single disc. Though you can find freeware programs that will allow you convert mpeg2 files to the xvid format and you can put these on a disc in the data disc format and play them on a divx format, as long as they are compatable with the player.

Edited by Tom Saurus

But the Divx Ultra Player allows you also to play discs that are in the Divx Ultra format and this format allows you the typical design and functionality of a regular DVD. I am referring to chapters, ect. TDA 3 allows me to chose between making a standard DVD or an Divx Ultra Disc. Having the ability to put more footage onto a disc has its appeals.

Yes, but while a normal DVD-Video must have a VIDEO_TS folder in the root of the disc with at least three files (VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.VOB), DivX Ultra puts all the equivalents of this inside a single *.divx DMF (DivX Media Format) file that can be copied to any media, be it CD, DVD, pendrives, etc.

As far as we know, DivX players can read from ISO9660, ISO9660/Joliet and UDF discs, with the limitation being, apparently, the 2GB max single-file size of ISO9660/Joliet filesystem. ImgBurn allows you to burn up to 4GB in a single-file in ISO9660(/Joliet) filesystem, but I'm not sure that's compatible with all standalone players. Have you tried a DMF smaller than 2GB burnt with ISO9660/Joliet in your player to see if it works?

mmalves: I never bothered experimenting much with the technology. I just know that if this divx ultra file is put in any other format other than UDF it won't play in my Phillips 5990 Divx Ultra Player. I can play a .divx ultra file in the VLC Software Media Player, but I can only watch the first track that is on the disc. I hope someone can develop a software player that can access and extract what is inside the .Divx DMF that TDA outputs. That is about all that bothers me about this technology. Sometimes a person needs to extract a scene or two from the DVD's they create and in this format, you can't do that, to my knowledge.

(...) I hope someone can develop a software player that can access and extract what is inside the .Divx DMF that TDA outputs. (...)

Have you tried the official DivX software? At the very least least it plays DMFs just as your DivX Ultra standalone and in most software players, like Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.