burning is working but takes forever

nobody

ImgBurn is running on WinXP sp2 and trying to write to my NEC 16X DVD?R DVD ND-3550A.

My problem is that the second disc in a row is taking 20+ minutes to burn a DVD. So far I have tried to burn one data disc and one DVD video disc. I have had no trouble writing discs in about 4 minutes with other software using the same media and device. The following attempts to illustrate my problem by juxtaposing the status message with the buffer and device buffer:

(start)

Writing Image... (B 100% DB 100%)

Writing Image... (B 66% DB 100%)

Writing Image... (B 33% DB 100%)

Writing Image... (B 0% DB 100%)

Writing Image... (B 0% DB 66%)

Writing Image... (B 0% DB 33%)

Writing Image... (B 0% DB 66%)

Writing Image... (B 0% DB 33%)

Writing Image... (B 0% DB 0%)

Waiting for buffers to recover... (B 33% DB 0%)

Waiting for buffers to recover... (B 66% DB 0%)

Waiting for buffers to recover... (B 100% DB 0%)

Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level... (B 100% DB 0%)

(back to start)

In short the buffer was quickly depleted and following that the device buffer thrashed around a bit until the write speed died completely. Then the buffer refilled and after another wait it just started over again.

While ImgBurn was doing this the two most CPU hungry tasks in Task Manager are System Idle (~85%) and ImgBurn (12%). I started out with WinAmp playing in the background and quickly killed it along with pretty much everything else when I saw ImgBurn struggling to keep its buffers full.

Please help me stop doing whatever stupid thing I am [not] doing! Thanks.

Was it from Build mode or from Write (ISO) mode?

Your HD might be fragmented, thus it can't keep up fast transfers. Run the Analyze option from Windows defragmenter and check, in the report, if your file(s) appear in the list.

Was it from Build mode or from Write (ISO) mode?

It was Build mode with the burner as the output.

Your HD might be fragmented, thus it can't keep up fast transfers. Run the Analyze option from Windows defragmenter and check, in the report, if your file(s) appear in the list.

I took your advice and looked at the fragmentation. Of the two burns I have attempted there was a single GB sized file which appeared in the list. That means that 7 GB of data was not on the list so fragmentation does not seem to explain what was happening. However, thanks for the suggestion.

I am fairly sure the reason for the slow burning is because the data was coming from a hard drive and the burner were sharing the secondary IDE channel. I burned a disc from the hard drive on my primary IDE channel today without any trouble at all. Just wanted to let everyone here know in case anyone else reports the same problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.