Sony AW-Q170

Dark Shogun

I just downloaded ImgBurn and installed it and when I check out the Device Capabilites it has DVD Rom completely greyed out. Does that mean I can't do bitsetting? I when to the Change Book Type section and it give me 8 choices for a OEM but I don't know which one mines is if any.

Please help

Dark Shogun

DVD-ROM, HD DVD-ROM and BD-ROM are always greyed out in the Write section of the 'Device Capabilities' window because such discs, as their name says (Read-Only Memory), can only be made by way of pressing, usually in large scale, i.e., commercial discs.

Booktyping/bitsetting is just a trick used to make older/incompatible devices think that the media is a pressed DVD-ROM, and it can only be done on the DVD+R(W) SL/DL format. Also, there's no sure way to detect if a device allows booktyping or not, besides burning a DVD+R(W) and verifying after. Different manufacturers use different methods for enabling booktyping: some of them enable booktyping by default, others don't even offer this option.

The brand/model of your drive is shown in the first line of the information section of ImgBurn, on the right side of the window.

It said my dvd burner is SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A but when I got to the change book type section it has these options:

Nu Tech

Plextor

RICOH

Samsung

BenQ

LG

LITE-ON

NEC

I am not sure which mines would go under. I did a little searching about Optiarc 7170 and that is Sony NEC so I tried the NEC one and it said Failed Parameter Value Invalid.

Dark Shogun

I thought it was same as 7173a, anyways which firmware do you have in it ?

Edit There is G: and Q version so Grain is right it will be the 7170 version

you may be able to use Liggy&Dee's firmware to bit set DVD+R

If your drive is anything like my Optiarc 7173a it will book type Dual layer + to DVD-Rom but for single layer + it will not which is why I flashed mine with a modified firmware to be able to book type DVD-5 > DVD-ROM

There seems to be a firmware on their page which they have modded If I remember right as well Flash in safe mode and set drive to Pio Mode 4 b4 flashing [edit safe mode should def be used [pio mode is not absolutely needed but might be advisable] I just used Safe mode from memory.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7170A/

If it were my drive i would choose this one

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/disclaimer/en/7170a/1s2_orig.zip.html

EDIT DO NOT USE AS THE INFO AND FILES ABOVE ARE FOR Sony AW-G170 AND NOT Sony AW-Q170

Your right as I was looking for AW G170 firmware, the posters drive is Q version.

So do not use that file I posted link to.

If you had the G version you could

Sony AW-G170A (Optiarc AD-7170A) and Sony AW-G173A (Optiarc AD-7173A)

Sony AW-Q170A (Optiarc AD-5170A) and Sony AW-Q173A (Optiarc AD-5173A)

Either way I would not be buying another Optiarc version or even worse the Sony version of this drive again.

My Optiarc 7173a in it's favour does work well at 18x in Usb2 Mode

Maybe get a Pioneer 112 If your in the market to replace it.

I have not had this burner for a month yet I don't think so getting a new one wouldn't be much of an option. I also have a Lite On sohw 1693sx which I have at my other residence but since I got this one I have not used the other one anymore. I don't think the Lite On can go more then 8X.

Dark Shogun

Either way I would not be buying another Optiarc version or even worse the Sony version of this drive again.

Who makes the Optiarc version as Sony outsourced their DVD drives to LG a couple of years ago.

Optiarc is a joint venture between Sony and NEC and Sony outsourced to Lite On a few years ago

if bitsetting dvd+r's(single layer) is important to you then just flash with liggy's nec/optiarc 5170A firmware

do it in safe mode so dma will be disabled

otherwise I would at least upgrade to the newest sony firmware

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2370

since it's based on nec's stock 5170A there will be no bitsetting support for dvd+r

dual layer dvd+r should auto bitsett with all firmwares

Edited by chewy

download and extract the firmware, make sure your desktop is clean enough to find it in safe mode

make a new folder and but the files in there and download binflash also

pressing F8 at bootup gets you into safe mode

directions are included, take your time

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.