Censored

AliGator1

I know I am going to regret starting this, but I have just had the word "lesbian" automatically censored from a posting on a Windows Vista Magazine forum. Having been offended by some - and irritated by others - of the avatars and language used on the ImgBurn Forums website I immediately wondered what that Censor would make of them?

To put this in context I was likening the experience of trying to penetrate the inpenetrable Nero and Roxio MyDVD 9 packages to the dilemma posed by the classic limerick:

There was a young poof from Khartoum

Took a lesbian up to his room.

As they climbed into bed

She turned round and said,

"Who does what and with what and to whom?"

Edited by AliGator1

Dunno what wrong with the word lesbian, its not a term of abuse so far as I know.

This PC that's creeping into all walks of life seems to be going too far. I'm glad a lot of the old derogatory, abusive terms have gone, being replaced by less hurtful phrases, but now everything is being redefined.

Speaking for myself, certain post have been made recently which have been unfortunate, but apologies have been made and hopefully forum life moves on...

Edited by Altercuno

I know I am going to regret starting this, but I have just had the word "lesbian" automatically censored from a posting on a Windows Vista Magazine forum. Having been offended by some - and irritated by others - of the avatars and language used on the ImgBurn Forums website

Some of the language is supposed to be offensive. To put it bluntly, we don't tolerate morons here. I, for one, have no desire to go into a 10 page spiel on how a given individual has upset the status quo of the forum and may possibly be causing untold damage to my sensitive side when a simple "Fuck off, idiot" will suffice. If you can understand this, you can understand the mentality of the regular posters here. Any answers received are a gift, as is the program Lightning_UK spends his time developing. What alot of people seem to forget is that we're here everyday answering questions for no other reason than to help others as we already know what we're doing.

I immediately wondered what that Censor would make of them?

It's immaterial what they think. It's a sure bet that none of us care. To ban the word "lesbian" gives you idea of the control this power freak wishes to exert. You'll find no such masturbatory self-absorption here. The upshot of all this is: If you wish to learn - stay. If not - depart in peace.

Sigh.... if the avatars on a mostly adult forum are troubling you, use the option on your control panel to not display them. Control Panel can be found top right of this screen in case you missed it. :yawn:

Thanks for that. I had missed that control - a great help!

I guess that you're staying then? Welcome. Our resident guru and provider to the masses (Oh, Lightning_UK, Great One who walketh about upright :worthy: ) has taught we peasants a great deal over the years. I guarantee that you'll learn something. Most people do. :)

Mmmmmmmmm lesbians!!!

16ic6.jpg

And thats my final word on the subject!!!! :D

I guess that you're staying then? Welcome. Our resident guru and provider to the masses (Oh, Lightning_UK, Great One who walketh about upright :worthy: ) has taught we peasants a great deal over the years. I guarantee that you'll learn something. Most people do. :)

Perhaps the best way to wrap this up is to copy from a post I made on Jan 28 2007 (#37059), which illustrates my real attitude to ImgBurn and the ImgBurn Forums and shows that I appreciate the true gold that lurks beneath the "moronic" :innocent: exterior.

"I just had to chip in on this one and say, 'Thanks, Guys, this is what user forums are all about.'

I have been an ImgBurn user for over a year and am a devoted fan. It is a veritable jewel of a program in an area of technology that is a minefield, even for the expert. My use of ImgBurn has been confined to "doing what it says on the tin", burning DVDs from ISO files, which it does first time, every time. Now my video editor, Womble Multimedia's MPEG Video Wizard, has added a DVD module that allows me to add menus and output the finished project as a video folder as an alternative to exporting MPEGs. I had a feeling that ImgBurn could handle folders - I seemed to remember stumbling across that feature at some time, but couldn't find it again. I immediately assumed my memory was faulty, it often is, and spent a frustrating few days casting around for a reliable way of getting from the folders to an ISO file so that I could get back to ImgBurn for the final burn. Finding nothing suitable I decided to double-check ImgBurn features, eventually coming to this site. Now, after reading this thread, my problem is solved and I have learned a lot more besides, not all of it about computer software."

I know I am going to regret starting this, but I have just had the word "lesbian" automatically censored from a posting on a Windows Vista Magazine forum. Having been offended by some - and irritated by others - of the avatars and language used on the ImgBurn Forums website

Some of the language is supposed to be offensive. To put it bluntly, we don't tolerate morons here. I, for one, have no desire to go into a 10 page spiel on how a given individual has upset the status quo of the forum and may possibly be causing untold damage to my sensitive side when a simple "Fuck off, idiot" will suffice. If you can understand this, you can understand the mentality of the regular posters here. Any answers received are a gift, as is the program Lightning_UK spends his time developing. What alot of people seem to forget is that we're here everyday answering questions for no other reason than to help others as we already know what we're doing.

I immediately wondered what that Censor would make of them?

It's immaterial what they think. It's a sure bet that none of us care. To ban the word "lesbian" gives you idea of the control this power freak wishes to exert. You'll find no such masturbatory self-absorption here. The upshot of all this is: If you wish to learn - stay. If not - depart in peace.

Hay Shamus,

You ever thought of a career in politics =))

Here here :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

lol, oh...you do say it so well Shamus.

And HI!! crule :wub:, corn, db, polopony, digi, lightning.

Good to see you guys still offering up help as only you guys can do.

Edited by BlackWidow

lol, oh...you do say it so well Shamus.

And HI!! crule :wub:, corn, db, polopony, digi, lightning.

Good to see you guys still offering up help as only you guys can do.

Sweetykins! Shnookylumps!! You're back!! I've missed you! Your eyes - your lips - your love of USB devices. My heart swells at the sight of you. At least I think it's my heart. :P

*cough*

It's good to see you again. How have you been? Where have you been? It's been ages since you've graced this simple forum with your elegance and we are poorer for that loss. (Eww!!)

So, how's things? What happened to keep you away from us all? Whatever it was, I'm glad you're home. :)

:worthy: BlackWidow :worthy:

Great to hear from you again ! :) Are you gonna be around for a while or only when Shamus pretends he's sensitive ? =))

lol, loved Shamus even before we knew he could fake a sensitive side.

Hiya Kev...um, nice avatar.

Think I told you guys that I got pretty addicted to World of Warcraft :( Not so much since they brought out the expansion, levelled one of my characters to 70 and then pretty much got bored and tired of it. Is incredible just how much time that game robs you of, is sick really. Been playing a little bit doing some player vs player on a lower level character, but have decided to cancel my account..oh, runs out today actually. haha...aren't you glad you asked? I remember you telling me that omg I am blanking on his name, how could I forget? Well anyhow, think that he got hooked on WoW too.

Is so great to see you guys!! Kudos to Lightning for letting you guys do your own thing...you guys are one of a kind lol

Maybe we could get together for a chat soon. I have a Ventrilo server (used it for gaming), but now that I have quit for a while would be cool to get you guys in an have a chat. I think I still have 3 months left on it. You would only need to download the client and I could PM all you guys with the server info etc. Let me know.

Here is the link for Vent.

Heya kirk!

hi widow, nice to see you around again, now if we could only pry snazz away from wow :lol:

Hiya corn :D

haha....that's who it was, Snazz!! lol..he still in WoW hell?

Edited by BlackWidow

We think so as we have never seen him since he started there, altho he may have found Shamus' USB Emporium of delights of course !! =))

Not to mention Shamus' School Of Sensitivity........................... :lol::lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.