Plextors - The real vs the Not

blikkies

Hi LUK

You made a comment in one of the threads (can't find which one it is) that you only recommend the plex 716 and 760 and not the 755 as these are the only 'real' plextors. The others inbetween you suspected were were made by other manufacturers or have different chipsets. Since I have a 755 this worried me a bit so I did some research and came across the following. It shoes Original eqipment manufacturer and chipset for each model

Yes the 755 is a real plex :-)

Its surprising to see the latest PX-800 is a sony oem. I'm definately not a sony fan.

MODEL Manufacturer Chipset

Plextor PX-504A OEM:NEC Chipset:NEC

Plextor PX-504UF OEM:NEC Chipset:NEC

Plextor PX-605A OEM:Matsushita Chipset:N/A

Plextor PX-608AL OEM:Pioneer Chipset:NEC?

Plextor PX-608CU OEM:Pioneer Chipset:NEC?

Plextor PX-608U OEM:Pioneer Chipset:NEC?

Plextor PX-704A OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-708A OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-708A2 OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-708UF OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-708UF2 OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-712A OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-712SA OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-712UF OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-716A OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-716AL OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-716SA OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-716UF OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-716UFL OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-740A OEM:Philips-BenQ Chipset:Philips

Plextor PX-740UF OEM:Philips-BenQ Chipset:Philips

Plextor PX-750A OEM:Teac/BenQ Chipset:Matsushita

Plextor PX-750UF OEM:Teac/BenQ Chipset:Matsushita

Plextor PX-755A OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-755SA OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-755UF OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-760A OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-760SA OEM:Plextor Chipset:Sanyo

Plextor PX-800A OEM:Sony-NEC Chipset:NEC

Plextor PX-B900A OEM:Matsushita Chipset:Matsushita

@blikkies

Can you source this information?

I'm curious to know where you found it.

Especially since I'm a Plex customer. (A former owner of a 716 and current owner of a 760.)

There so much "name-badge" engineering (as the car people call it) in consumer electronics, and IT products are far from being exempt from it, what's important, imo, isn't so much the source of the components (I know from having worked for a supercomputer manufacturer that every system or peripheral contains third-party hardware and software), as the company's CS/return policies.

Plextor's is great. They shipped me a defective burner and the return process was blissfully easy. Even tho' I wanted a refund instead of an exchange, they still paid the return postage, without my even asking. B)

Hi LUK

You made a comment in one of the threads (can't find which one it is) that you only recommend the plex 716 and 760 and not the 755 as these are the only 'real' plextors. The others inbetween you suspected were were made by other manufacturers or have different chipsets. Since I have a 755 this worried me a bit so I did some research and came across the following. It shoes Original eqipment manufacturer and chipset for each model

One more thing:

I have a DVD-RAM drive made by the Sony-NEC is new partnership. It's actually worked out quite well. Especially since it cost 35 American.

Web address: http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/

Hi LUK

Yes the 755 is a real plex :-)

Its surprising to see the latest PX-800 is a sony oem. I'm definately not a sony fan.

MODEL Manufacturer Chipset

Plextor PX-800A OEM:Sony-NEC Chipset:NEC

Plextor PX-B900A OEM:Matsushita Chipset:Matsushita

Edited by Pain_Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.