Wireless networks

Shamus_McFartfinger

So........ there I am in my loungeroom farting around with a laptop and all of a sudden a new network appears in my list. Hmm... curious. I swap from my own secured network to the new network and hit connect. Success. Free internet because there's no encryption enabled. I opened a command prompt and quickly found the ip address of the wireless router which I then typed into a browser. Username and password..... it says. After only 3 guesses at the password I had full access to the router, including their account and password details. Scary stuff.

What it shows is that the more consumer friendly some of these new fangled products become, the more open they are to abuse. Something as simple as not broadcasting the SSID would help alot. Being forced to have encryption enabled by default with some sort of wizard would be better. Teaching new users users how to lock down an access point via mac addressing would be better still. Alas, most users will continue to ignore the manual, turn on the power and be happy in their ignorance.

BTW, mine's the top one. =))

bah.png

FWIW, my windows workgroup is "fuckit". It seemed logical after cooking several cpus, motherboards, video cards and harddrives before I had an air conditioner put into my little computer room about 18 months ago. During summer the temperature in here would often exceed 50 degrees celcius and the hardware fried. It's still 10 degrees warmer in here than it is in the loungeroom. :blink:

I remember you saying that before you had the aircon installed you were forced to use a set of BBQ tongs on your knob when going for a piss !! =)) That image was scorched into the back of my minds eye for many a month, luckily counselling and round the clock care has brought me out the other side <twitches uncontrollably>

That image was scorched into the back of my minds eye for many a month, luckily counselling and round the clock care has brought me out the other side <twitches uncontrollably>

A bit of bleach could have cured you much quicker...

I remember you saying that before you had the aircon installed you were forced to use a set of BBQ tongs on your knob when going for a piss !!

Hmm... don't remember saying that. You're not making this up, are you? ;)

=))

Are you kidding me ? It was cos your computer room was so f'in hot ! Maybe it was on MSN...... Sorry I forgot to say how HUGE the tongs were ...

As for Gloria the Bedford Bike, is this her I wonder ?

gloriaef3.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.