Am I Just Paranoid ?

kevdriver

I Just got an e-mail from Kewlbox, you know the makers of elf bowling games. Downloaded a game called Holiday Express, immediately after it started to setup it tried to access the internet, I didn't let it. Played the game then quit. The game is made by MACROVISION. Well alright, so then I see the notification of a new program in my All Programs box on desktop. Well what the fuck its a program called Program Updates by installshield which, if I let it, will scan my computer and notify me of updates to any or all current programs on my computer......... hmmmmmm Macrovision game installs this additional helpful program by installshield............... would find my backing up :whistling: programs and everything............ What the fuck is this shit!!!!!!!!!! I'm uninstalling now both game and this additional program and doing registry clean just to make sure.

Ran regisry cleaner and found 9 entries from this update program plus quite a number of files. Deleted everything............. :angry::angry: .

This may be a perfectly alright game and update program but don't like the idea that a MACROVISION product installs a second program without first asking me to do so. Where does this update program send the list of the programs it finds on my computer?? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but thought I should post this as a word of caution. :o:blink::angry:

P.S. I've downloaded and used many other games from Kewlbowl and never have come across something like this before. Could this be a Macrovision sneak peek attempt.?

Edited by kevdriver

Got a download link handy? I found this on the kewlbox.com website.

http://www.kewlbox.com/corp/promise.cfm

Rest assured, we hate spyware, adware, and other malicious programs as much as you do. We have made a promise to you and millions of Kewlbox fans around the world, that games downloaded from www.kewlbox.com will be free of any third party adware, spyware, or mailware.

So enjoy our games and know that when you download games from www.kewlbox.com they are safe to download and play!

Shamus, just go to www.kewlbox.com , click on play on the Holiday Express Game and it will take you to a PC download area. Download this game and see what I mean. The game plays fine but then you have this additional program built in there. First time ever I've seen a game developed by Macrovision on Kewlbox site. Just got my alarm bells ringing. :/

InstallShield's program updater is installed by many new apps now. InstallShield is, pretty much, a defacto installer now. Really, only WinAmp's and the Microsoft Installer are as prevelant. Anyway, that updater should, in theory, only work with newer apps that have been told what to do with it. HOWEVER, even *I* disabled it ;) when I saw it installed by something that Macrovision didn't install. :lol: It can be configured to be totally disabled. Be aware that, in addition, InstallShield's updater also installs two services:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -startup

and

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start

The first is the Update Manager service and the second is the Update Scheduler. Disabling the scheduler through the Manager should work. The Update Manager interface is the same command line as the UM service starter above without the -starup switch. The Scheduler interface runs the same way, just remove its -startup switch.

I just set up the thing to never check for updates. I forget what installed it. WinDVD 7? Easy Media 8?

Thanks db, just spooked me cause I've haven't run across this before, and after noticing the game it came with was made by Macrovision............................... :unsure::unsure: . Guess I was just being too careful. :/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.