SmplBurn (simple file-burning interface for ImgBurn)

Chugworth

<CHOMP!>

LOL yea how long ago and what Linux Distro?

There's little doubt that Linux (overall) is a great OS. As previously mentioned, if you want driver support for the latest hardware, you're screwed. The popularity of Windows ensures that you can at least find the driver you need. Having to fuck around with kernels, crappy hardware support and the general "unfriendliness" of many aspects of Linux is what keeps alot of people from using it. Granted that there's thousands of virii all targetting Windows but there's also a shitload of free software available to deal with it and protect against it. It's not that I love Windows (as a die-hard Amiga fan that's impossible) but, as a general rule, Windows does what it's supposed to. It's not a great OS but it's the easiest to use. A quality product isn't determined by how good it is. It's determined by the consumer under the expectation that it'll do what it's supposed to do. Windows might suck in certain aspects but it's made for the greater mass market of users who are essentially computer illiterate. If they plug a camera into it - it'll work....... usually. ;)

<CHOMP!>

LOL yea how long ago and what Linux Distro?

There's little doubt that Linux (overall) is a great OS. As previously mentioned, if you want driver support for the latest hardware, you're screwed. The popularity of Windows ensures that you can at least find the driver you need. Having to fuck around with kernels, crappy hardware support and the general "unfriendliness" of many aspects of Linux is what keeps alot of people from using it. Granted that there's thousands of virii all targetting Windows but there's also a shitload of free software available to deal with it and protect against it. It's not that I love Windows (as a die-hard Amiga fan that's impossible) but, as a general rule, Windows does what it's supposed to. It's not a great OS but it's the easiest to use. A quality product isn't determined by how good it is. It's determined by the consumer under the expectation that it'll do what it's supposed to do. Windows might suck in certain aspects but it's made for the greater mass market of users who are essentially computer illiterate. If they plug a camera into it - it'll work....... usually. ;)

K I completly Agree :) on everything you said so lets end this post here

" Granted that there's thousands of virii all targetting Windows but there's also a shitload of free software available to deal with it and protect against it."

Very True although most Anti-Virii apps are bloated but efficeint in catching MOST of the malware out there, although they aren't 100% safe and we can agree on that right? rootkits are the future of malware (which ironically started on Linux (or BSD I think?) I dont feel safe using windows with that threat upon it :((this meaning Windows XP users in general my system was always clean and i never had to use any antivirii software :) just rkunhooker very cool app :) )

But like you said Windows XP is and will be a well rounded OS and is very user friendly I will probably(I hope not) later reinstall it on my system (probobly due to this post) and due to the fact that is hassupport for MOST hardware out there!

""unfriendliness""

of linux is the only thing killing it(next to drivers that it cannot provide) like i said in my other posts Windows OS's are ok for "most people not all"

"If they plug a camera into it - it'll work....... usually. ;)"

Like XP alot of drivers provided for certain hardware are "gerneric" under linux hoping that you understand that concept we can also agree that the phrase "should work" instead of "usually should" is not used (work in XP (now Vista)) due to the use of alot of generic drivers. i have a digital camera that did not specify if it included support for Linux 2.6.x.x I pluged it in and it worked! so this not having driver thing that Linux is known for is going to change in the coming months :) or years :(

"A quality product isn't determined by how good it is. "

although it should?

well thats all (for now) although you never answered my question? what Linux Distro did you use?

"A quality product isn't determined by how good it is. "

although it should?

Not really. Quality ain't quality. There is no "standard" quality for anything. Example, a DVD player made in Germany or Japan can cost 3 or 4 hundred dollars. It's functional, made well and built to last with multitudes of great options available. A player made in China costs 20 dollars. It's cheap, nasty and could blow up after 2 years. There's no whizzbang functions and it's just a player. Which is the quality product? The answer is both. It just depends on what the consumer is happy with.

well thats all (for now) although you never answered my question? what Linux Distro did you use?

Off the top of my head? Red hat, Debian (this was hard IMO), SuSe, Lindows, Mandrake/Mandriva, XP Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Slackware and probably a few others. I get the bug every now and then and install a linux distro for the hell of it. :)

• 3 years later...

Have I landed in the wrong forum this morning? I thought this was the ImgBurn Support Forum? Silly me :)

Regards

Have I landed in the wrong forum this morning? I thought this was the Chess Support Forum? Silly me :)

Chess is a thinking man's game. If you're not a thinking man (or woman), you're not reading this forum, since reading this displays a desire to learn new information - i.e. "thinking."

Actually, I just searched for a random term ("recurse" in this case), and was just reading related threads, and landed at this one. I know it's three years old, but I like to read as many as I can. Goes back to that whole "thinking" thing.

I do have to agree with Chug that ImgBurn is too much for some users. Not that it's really complicated, but if people don't understand the basics of creating and burning discs, there's just too many gauges on the dashboard. They should, however, be able to simply add their files without even considering changing any options or settings. But to tell them simply that it's... well, simple, is kinda like Buckaroo Banzai telling John Parker, "It drives like a truck." Some of you will recall the reply - "Good... What is a truck?"

I do have to agree with Chug that ImgBurn is too much for some users.

:yes:

They should, however, be able to simply add their files without even considering changing any options or settings

It is simple if the users take the time to read the pink bit at the top and the guides and faq's. Changing options and settings is the one thing that really gets them screwed up since the program runs "out of the box' for most people just fine. If they are in trouble, they can post and we'll get them to where they need to be. :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.