WooHoo!!

Shamus_McFartfinger

You fucking beauty! I just had one of my raid drives crap itself. YES!! 600gigs of data gone in an instant. Instead of killing bad guys on BattleNet or fluffing around with the new beta of ImgBurn, I get to format a 600gig drive and restore the data from a backup drive. Does computing get any better than this? WooHoo!! :cheerleader:

You fucking beauty! I just had one of my raid drives crap itself. YES!! 600gigs of data gone in an instant. Instead of killing bad guys on BattleNet or fluffing around with the new beta of ImgBurn, I get to format a 600gig drive and restore the data from a backup drive. Does computing get any better than this? WooHoo!! :cheerleader:

Glad to see your not to upset Shamus.......................... :rolleyes::blink::lol::lol:

Nothing better than waiting for a format to finish, Kev. Being given the oportunity to sit here like a bottle of stale piss while it grinds through the process is the epitome of joy. Hitting ones' self between the eyes with a hammer comes a close second. :lol:

I hear ya Shamus......... At least you had the smarts to have a backup just incase this type of shit ever happened............. A lot of people don't backup and lose everything......... :thumbup:

* learning mode on *

Hey Shamus, Not as deep into mobos as you but could you not try to save the motherboard by buying a sata card and getting around the problem that way?, or is it always better to use the onboard raid controller if the mobo is so equipped. How do you know its not the HD thats causing you grief but suspect the onboard raid........ :blink::blink::)

* Question period over * :lol:

not backup? who me? :innocent::innocent:

so!!! how long does it take to restore??

did that once with a tape drive (pent 1, 300 mhz) took all night and half the day, and then didn't work

* learning mode on *

Hey Shamus, Not as deep into mobos as you but could you not try to save the motherboard by buying a sata card and getting around the problem that way?, or is it always better to use the onboard raid controller if the mobo is so equipped. How do you know its not the HD thats causing you grief but suspect the onboard raid........ :blink::blink::)

* Question period over * :lol:

Good question. :) Basically, there's 2 reasons. Firstly, I've never been happy with it. The read/write speed has never been as good as it should be. Secondly, the PC I'm having problems with doesn't have any room left in the case for more drives and uses 2 external drives instead. The 2 drives run to a couple of makeshift pci cards with sata connectors at the back and run from there to the sata ports on the m/board. Far from ideal. I really need to spend some money and get some more Coolermaster cases or something. The m/board itself is just about due for an upgrade anyways as it's about 3 years old, I suppose. BTW, the drives function perfectly in another PC. It has to be the m/board. :(

Did i not send you ontrack ? that would format the 600 gig in about 1 minute flat.

Restoring would take as long as it does though.

Dodgy RAID controller mate...... and it's still playing up. Drives won't spin up properly and won't sustain read/write. I think it's fooked.

not backup? who me? :innocent::innocent:

so!!! how long does it take to restore??

did that once with a tape drive (pent 1, 300 mhz) took all night and half the day, and then didn't work

Normally it should take around 4 hours to copy 600gigs from a network drive. I dunno how long it actually took because I went to bed. :D

Seems to have come good for some reason....... sort of. Read/write speed still stucks but the drives are spinning up properly now and there's no stutter/lag when copying files like there was last night. I still don't trust it but it's working for the moment.

hd.png

Well keep us informed of the solution,

I have similar ide prob, working now but goes to crawl or death after 1/2 hour

moving between houses now and can't find computer box to order replacement mobo, no funds to upgrade at this time,

moving from my home to her home,

renting house (bad sales time in michigan) to my kids for less then my payment, will probably buy my brothers place, house not fantastic, but pole barn 34x64, insulated - heated, great place for wood working, and blacksmithing

will be needing some help making a dresser kirk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.