Something wrong? Verbatim's DL and new Plextor drive used

jazzytaxi

After getting many coasters with my Lite-On drive, I bought a new plextor drive. I recently burned a DVD using the famous Verbatim DVD+R DL with the Plextor drive. The burn verified just fine; however, the results from PI/PO testing state that the quality of the burn is around 50%. Please tell me if this is a good burn. I'm not sure if I know the full meaning of these test results. Am I doing something wrong? I chose the best layer break position, which was at "very good."

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 24 July 2007, 05:56:59

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 04:23:16 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 04:23:16 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 04:23:16 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,952 KB - Available: 597,100 KB

W 04:23:16 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 04:23:16 Initialising SPTI...

I 04:23:16 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 04:23:16 Found 1 DVD

post-7922-1185278405_thumb.jpg

post-7922-1185278415_thumb.jpg

1. Tell DVDInfoPro (or your capture program) to save in PNG format. The pics looks MUCH cleaner then.

2. Your Plextor drive is actually a Pioneer. Plextor don't make their own drives now. (I believe it's a rebranded Pioneer 212, so it should still be a decent burner on those DL discs)

3. Use the 'Automatic Write Speed' feature to configure those discs to always burn at 2.4x (Read the Guides section!)

4. If you want to do scans, you should really get a proper scanning drive - i.e. a LiteOn. I'm not sure how reliable the Pioneers are.

It wrote and verified ok, so I'd say the burn is at least ok for playback in the drive that just burnt it.

Tell DVDInfoPro (or your capture program) to save in PNG format. The pics looks MUCH cleaner then.

And a whole lot smaller filesize.

I 04:52:15 Write Speed: 5x

I 04:52:15 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-001-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

The media is not rated at 5x. Do as LUK! says, write it at 2.4x

Regards

Thank you very much. I'm sorry I didn't clarify...I actually burned the discs with the Plextor and scanned the disc using my Lite On drive. I had purchased the Plextor since the Lite On only produced coasters with the Verbatims (see my other post). The media isn't rated for 5x?...does that mean I cannot burn between 2.4x, 4x, 6x, and 8x? or does that mean I cannot burn passed 2.4x (the Verbatim packaging says the discs are 2.4x speed and up to 8x speed with compatible drives). Sorry for the lengthy questions. Thanks for being very helpful.

Just set it for 2.4x. I have lots of DL burns at 2.4x with this media and not one is bad. Yes, it takes about 40 minutes and another 10-15 to verify, but that's no biggie.

Regards

Thanks for all the help. I just performed my second burn with my new Plextor (PX-810SA) at 2.4 X. I used the MDS file to burn, yet the PIPO test results showed that this burn was even worse (a lot worse) than the previous burn (the highest peak being near the layer break). Since my new Plextor cannot perform the PIPO parity tests, I used my other drive (Lite On) to do these tests (I included the .png files of these tests). Thanks. Please help. I bought this drive since my Lite-On was just giving me Verbatim DVD+R DL coasters (I heard Plextor was a great brand).

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 24 July 2007, 19:35:16

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 18:18:11 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 18:18:11 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:18:11 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,952 KB - Available: 595,364 KB

W 18:18:11 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 18:18:11 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:18:11 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:18:11 Found 1 DVD

post-7922-1185325952_thumb.png

post-7922-1185325968_thumb.png

Any chance you could try with a new (different) spindle of Verbatims?

As I say, the Plextor (Pioneer) shouldn't be having any trouble burning them - perhaps you've just got a duff (or fake?) batch?

That said, if you can return the drive, I'd probably do that and then buy the real thing - the Pioneer 212. It'll be half the price and you'll get firmware updates from the real manufacturer much quicker than from Plextor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.