ISO9660 Limit

Duc ST3

Howdy Forum...

First post here, I will say that I've used the search and came up with nothing on this one. But in the mean time I have taken the advice of several posters here and upgraded the firmware on my Benq DW 1655 so it has the current version. I've also purchased some Verbatim DVD+R DL disks.

I've used Decrypter to rip my DVDs following the guide on the Doom9 site. So now that I have the files I want I've tried to burn them to my disks using the guide by Lightning UK here on this site. Trouble is that I keep getting an error message telling me that the "file size exceeds the limit imposed by the ISO9660 file system". The file I'm trying to burn is 5,944,117,248 bytes so I don't understand why it won't fit onto a DL disk. ImgBurn isn't giving me much of a log but I will post it anyhow.

I 16:09:56 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 16:09:56 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 16:09:56 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,048 KB - Available: 563,888 KB

I 16:09:56 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:09:56 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:09:56 Found 1 DVD+RW and 1 DVD±RW!

I 16:10:25 Operation Started!

I 16:10:25 Building Image Tree...

I 16:10:30 Checking Directory Depth...

I 16:10:30 Calculating Totals...

I 16:10:30 Preparing Image...

E 16:21:25 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:11:00

I 16:22:04 Operation Started!

I 16:22:04 Building Image Tree...

I 16:22:04 Checking Directory Depth...

I 16:22:04 Calculating Totals...

I 16:22:04 Preparing Image...

E 16:24:20 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:02:16

Any ideas of what is wrong? I'm new at this, obviously! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Is the file an image file? or is it like a big document / video file you want to burn?

If it's an image file, you should be burning it in Write mode.

If it's a document / video, you need to change the 'File System' to something that DOESN'T include ISO9660.

The file size limit within the file system is 4GB. It simply cannot handle files bigger than that.

• 1 month later...

i'm having trouble with this also

there is a tutorial here:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4643

that explains the process, but i get the error

i have a vob and ifo in a video_ts folder that i got there using dvd decrypter

there is no BUP file

i tried burning with just udp, but the disc did not work

i tried changing the .vob to a .iso but that doesnt seem to have worked either

Edited by pickleloaf

You can't rename a vob to an iso, it doesn't work like that.

Preparing the source files is nothing to do with ImgBurn I'm afraid and so it's something you'll have to figure out yourself.

Needless to say, the VIDEO_TS folder should have a whole load of IFO, VOB and BUP files in it. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with it.

• 1 year later...
Is the file an image file? or is it like a big document / video file you want to burn?

If it's an image file, you should be burning it in Write mode.

If it's a document / video, you need to change the 'File System' to something that DOESN'T include ISO9660.

The file size limit within the file system is 4GB. It simply cannot handle files bigger than that.

How are you using ISO9660+UDF here? link I'm trying to burn a DVD folder (IFO/BUP/VOB) to a DL DVD. I created the IFO/BUP from a VOB file which came from a MKV file. I created the VOB with Super. When I try to calculate the size in ImgBurn it gives me the ISO9660 limit message. I'm ready to start pulling my hair out cause none of the guides show this problem.

It's quite simple, don't use Super!

VOB files should be less than 1GB in size.

But not only do you need VOB files, you also need IFO and BUP files - which I guess Super doesn't make.

So why not do the conversion in a program that does it all properly in the first place? - i.e. DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD.

It's quite simple, don't use Super!

VOB files should be less than 1GB in size.

But not only do you need VOB files, you also need IFO and BUP files - which I guess Super doesn't make.

So why not do the conversion in a program that does it all properly in the first place? - i.e. DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD.

Well Super was fine until I got these larger files. I tried using a program that creates IFO/BUP files from a VOB. It created them but I couldn't burn them. I used ConvertXtoDVD last night but I still have a file which is currently a 7.9 GB MKV of a nature program I would like to burn to a DL disk without ruining the quality of it.

The only way to do that is to burn the mkv file as-is in build mode with the file system configured to 'UDF'.

You won't be able to play it on anything other than a pc (or other media device that supports mkv files).

Huh so what file system supports burning DL dvds with files over 4.7 GB? The whole reason I started messing with burning this stuff to disc is because of a new HDTV I got. It looks like my best bet to get my media from PC to TV without huge loss of quality may just be the Popcorn Hour device.

It doesn't matter what disc format you use (DVD, HD DVD, BD), UDF is the only (common) file system for optical discs that supports single files >= 4GB in size.

You don't want to convert HD content to DVD Video, you'll lose all the benefits.

So basically, yeah you're left with buying a little media player. I've heard of the popcorn ones but never really seen them. I have seen/tried the Western Digital TV one though and I think they're pretty cool. Get yourself one of those and a little external hdd or big usb memory stick (16 / 32GB) and you're all set.

It doesn't matter what disc format you use (DVD, HD DVD, BD), UDF is the only (common) file system for optical discs that supports single files >= 4GB in size.

You don't want to convert HD content to DVD Video, you'll lose all the benefits.

So basically, yeah you're left with buying a little media player. I've heard of the popcorn ones but never really seen them. I have seen/tried the Western Digital TV one though and I think they're pretty cool. Get yourself one of those and a little external hdd or big usb memory stick (16 / 32GB) and you're all set.

I guess my other option is to split the large files into multiple smaller files >4.7 GB and burn multiple DVDs. Since DL DVD's are so much more cost wise then regular DVD's this may not be a bad idea on my part.

I've heard the WD are good but since I already have a wifi network setup the Popcorn would be great and besides it's built on a Linux OS (at least that my understanding). I already have a 320GB external HDD and a 1TB external HDD which is around half full now.

Thanks for your help and responses though. We'll probably laugh at threads like this 10 years from now at the fact that we were discussing physical media and different ways to do things with it.

Huh so what file system supports burning DL dvds with files over 4.7 GB? The whole reason I started messing with burning this stuff to disc is because of a new HDTV I got. It looks like my best bet to get my media from PC to TV without huge loss of quality may just be the Popcorn Hour device.

Or you could use a PS3 in conjunction with PS3 Media Server running on your PC to stream from your harddrive. You're going to be disappointed if you think that wifi can cope with the bandwidth required. Even a wired 100Mbit network will struggle when streaming high-def content. It's just not fast enough. You'll also need some serious horsepower to transcode it in the first place.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.