Is it the file or the disc?

Hawker57m

I am new to this business. I have several mini DV tapes that I recorded with my camcorder. I want to transfer them to DVD. I hooked the camera up to my computer, and used Windows Movie Maker (came with the computer) to create the files. But when I tried to burn them to a disc using ImgBurn, it didn't work. I printed out the instructrions from the "Guides" section and followed them to the letter. Is it me, the video files, or the fact that I am using DVD-R's?

depends what you saved them as in win movie maker ? avi , mpeg ect ect afaik, win MM doesnt convert to dvd files.

whatever format the files are you will need to author them to make a dvd compliant file structure , then burn to disc for a standalone player to be able to play it.

use something like "tmpgenc dvd author" to do this, then the resulting files can be burned with ImgBurn in Build mode

I am new to this business. I have several mini DV tapes that I recorded with my camcorder. I want to transfer them to DVD. I hooked the camera up to my computer, and used Windows Movie Maker (came with the computer) to create the files. But when I tried to burn them to a disc using ImgBurn, it didn't work. I printed out the instructrions from the "Guides" section and followed them to the letter. Is it me, the video files, or the fact that I am using DVD-R's?

I'd love to attach the log, but I cannot find it. When I click on "Help" (upper right corner) and type ImgBurn logs into the search box, it tells me that it cannot find anything like that. I have tried "ImgBurn logs", "Burn logs", "logs", and "burn log files", and get nothing.

Please post the log from that burn (you can find it at Help/ImgBurn logs).

They were saved as Windows Media Audio/Video Files. I tried to find the log, but when I go to Help and type ImgBurn logs into the search box, it tella me that it cannot find anything like that. I've tried "ImgBurn logs", "logs", and "burn logs", and get the same answer.

I'd love to attach the log, but I cannot find it. When I click on "Help" (upper right corner) and type ImgBurn logs into the search box, it tells me that it cannot find anything like that. I have tried "ImgBurn logs", "Burn logs", "logs", and "burn log files", and get nothing.

Open ImgBurn, click on its Help menu then click on ImgBurn logs :)

depends what you saved them as in win movie maker ? avi , mpeg ect ect afaik, win MM doesnt convert to dvd files.

whatever format the files are you will need to author them to make a dvd compliant file structure , then burn to disc for a standalone player to be able to play it.

use something like "tmpgenc dvd author" to do this, then the resulting files can be burned with ImgBurn in Build mode

They were saved as Windows Media Audio/Video files (.wmv).

undefined

Open ImgBurn, click on its Help menu then click on ImgBurn logs :)

I am about to give up. I have the burn log isolated on my desktop. It's a test file. However, I cannot get this forum to import it. I've tried just about everything, but for some reason I cannot attach it here. If you will send me your email address, I will send it to you that way. Thanks.

just copy the text from the log file click on add reply then paste it in then submit reply

You probably meant to say to copy the file, then paste it, and then click on add reply. I tried clicking on add reply first and sent you a blank message. My problem is that after copying the file, when I click on "Edit" looking to paste it, I find that "Paste" is greyed out, and I cannot select it. I can't find any way to attach the file to the reply page.

No I meant what I said when you tried to burn with ImgBurn and you hit a problem there would have been information below ImgBurns main window this is known as a log file.

you then click on edit and saves as and save log file to desktop this is a text doc so open it and select all text and tight click copy then click on add reply in forum and simply right click and select paste.

If you have misplaced the log file then simply open ImgBurn again and click on the help tab at top then click on ImgBurn logs and it will open up where they are stored.

eg this is a log file

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Sunday, 16 September 2007, 19:22:13

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 18:49:06 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 18:49:06 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:49:06 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,048 KB - Available: 644,040 KB

W 18:49:06 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

W 18:49:06 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 18:49:06 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:49:06 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:49:06 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD±RW!

I 18:49:14 Operation Started!

I 18:49:14 Source File: L:\a\MCE2005OEM\MCE2005OEM-1.iso

I 18:49:14 Source File Sectors: 301,091 (MODE1/2048)

I 18:49:14 Source File Size: 616,634,368 bytes

I 18:49:14 Source File Volume Identifier: MX2POEM_EN

I 18:49:14 Source File Application Identifier: CDIMAGE 2.52 (03/09/2004 TM)

I 18:49:14 Source File File System(s): ISO9660 (Bootable)

I 18:49:14 Destination Device: [5:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.14 (S:) (ATA)

I 18:49:15 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m26s66f) (Speeds: 4x, 10x, 16x, 24x, 32x)

I 18:49:15 Destination Media Sectors: 359,844

I 18:49:15 Write Mode: CD

I 18:49:15 Write Type: SAO

I 18:49:15 Write Speed: 16x

I 18:49:15 Test Mode: No

I 18:49:15 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 18:49:15 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)

I 18:49:16 Writing LeadIn...

I 18:49:38 Writing Image... (LBA: 0 - 301090)

I 18:53:48 Synchronising Cache...

I 18:53:57 Image MD5: 29538265b350bd1d7e3b1fdfd5bb0bfd

I 18:53:57 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:04:42

I 18:53:57 Average Write Rate: 2,408 KB/s (16.1x) - Maximum Write Rate: 2,432 KB/s (16.2x)

I 18:53:57 Cycling Tray before Verify...

I 18:54:21 Device Ready!

I 18:54:21 Operation Started!

I 18:54:21 Source Device: [5:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.14 (S:) (ATA)

I 18:54:21 Source Media Type: CD-ROM (Speeds: 4x, 10x, 16x, 24x, 32x)

I 18:54:21 Image File: L:\a\MCE2005OEM\MCE2005OEM-1.iso

I 18:54:21 Image File Sectors: 301,091 (MODE1/2048)

I 18:54:21 Image File Size: 616,634,368 bytes

I 18:54:21 Image File Volume Identifier: MX2POEM_EN

I 18:54:21 Image File Application Identifier: CDIMAGE 2.52 (03/09/2004 TM)

I 18:54:21 Image File File System(s): ISO9660 (Bootable)

I 18:54:21 Verifying Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 301090)

I 18:56:41 Device MD5: 29538265b350bd1d7e3b1fdfd5bb0bfd

I 18:56:41 Image MD5: 29538265b350bd1d7e3b1fdfd5bb0bfd

I 18:56:41 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:02:20

I 18:56:41 Average Verify Rate: 4,332 KB/s (28.9x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 5,864 KB/s (39.1x)

It will be down to your source files.

ImgBurn is not an encoder and needs DVD compliant files Which yours are not.

Please see a post further up where a program called tmpgenc was recommended or find out what file extension you are working with then search google for Whatever your file extension is to DVD. eg avi to dvd - wmv to dvd etc.

When you figure that bit out get some better media to burn to than the ones you have.

It will be down to your source files.

ImgBurn is not an encoder and needs DVD compliant files Which yours are not.

Please see a post further up where a program called tmpgenc was recommended or find out what file extension you are working with then search google for Whatever your file extension is to DVD. eg avi to dvd - wmv to dvd etc.

When you figure that bit out get some better media to burn to than the ones you have.

Thanks for putting up with a novice like me. I did find a program called SmartSoft DVD creator that will convert the .wmv files that I have to dvd files. Hopfully that will make things work out.

Thanks for putting up with a novice like me. I did find a program called SmartSoft DVD creator that will convert the .wmv files that I have to dvd files. Hopfully that will make things work out.

You might want to get a better program for working with the DV files from your camcorder that will give you DVD-ready files. There are older versions of editing software like Pinnacle Studio on eBay for cheap. Or your DVD-writer or camcorder may have come with usable software. (Ulead DVD MovieFactory, MGI videowave, WinDVD Creator are some examples)

You might want to get a better program for working with the DV files from your camcorder that will give you DVD-ready files. There are older versions of editing software like Pinnacle Studio on eBay for cheap. Or your DVD-writer or camcorder may have come with usable software. (Ulead DVD MovieFactory, MGI videowave, WinDVD Creator are some examples)

Got Pinnacle Studio. One quick question about file extensions. When importing a file, I am given the choice to save it as AVI, DivX, iPod Compatable, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-3, MPEG-4, Real Media, Sony PSP Compatable, or Windows Media. To be able to burn a DVD that will play anywhere, which one should I choose? The Pinnacle program doesn't give any help here. Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.