Slow Burn Speeds

wowsza

hey everyone!

so here's what's up: i've been burning disks for a while now, no problems, get program! but about a week ago my computer dies so i decide to replace the motherboard, processor, and ram. whenever i try to burn disks now, the device buffer fluctuates between what looks like 40% and 100%, and i end up burning at 0.9x or slower and it takes me an hour and 40 minutes to burn a disk. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on why this might be happening?

my burner is a pioneer 112d

fresh install of windows XP, no programs running in the background, just imgburn. i also tried defragging my hard drives, that didn't do anything.

when i searched the site, people were saying i needed to get my hard drive into DMA mode, but i don't have that option because i'm using 2 SATA hard drives.

what could be the issue here?

look at post #2 regarding dma on your burner,

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=59

rather odd tho to get kicked into pio mode so soon?

what's your motherboard? Using XP sp2?

i just checked and my burner is in DMA mode

my previous motherboard was this

everything burned great on that, i was running windows XP with SP2

my current motherboard is this

running the same windows XP with SP2, and i never tinkered around with any of the settings

it's the pata drive(112D), update the driver for the jmicron chipset that controls the single ide

and a burn log might give a clue or two

thanks for the suggestion, will try after this disk finishes burning. i'll be sure to post the burn log once it's done!

it's the pata drive(112D), update the driver for the jmicron chipset that controls the single ide

and a burn log might give a clue or two

here is the burn log

I 15:13:20 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 15:13:20 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:13:20 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,532 KB - Available: 1,788,292 KB

I 15:13:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:13:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:13:20 Found 1 DVD±RW!

I 15:14:35 Operation Started!

I 15:14:35 Source File: F:\kbell.dvd

I 15:14:35 Source File Sectors: 3,697,696 (MODE1/2048)

I 15:14:35 Source File Size: 7,572,881,408 bytes

I 15:14:35 Source File Volume Identifier: KBELL0406

I 15:14:35 Source File Implementation Identifier: Daikin U.S. Comtec Lab

I 15:14:35 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 15:14:35 Destination Device: [1:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D 1.21 (E:) (ATA)

I 15:14:35 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 15:14:35 Destination Media Sectors: 4,173,824

I 15:14:35 Write Mode: DVD

I 15:14:35 Write Type: DAO

I 15:14:35 Write Speed: MAX

I 15:14:35 Link Size: Auto

I 15:14:35 Test Mode: No

I 15:14:35 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 15:14:36 Optimal L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1,913,760

I 15:14:36 Optimal L0 Data Zone Method: Copied From Original Disc

I 15:15:00 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)

I 15:15:02 Writing LeadIn...

I 15:15:04 Writing Image... (LBA: 0 - 3697695)

I 15:15:04 Writing Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 1913759)

I 16:08:51 Writing Layer 1... (LBA: 1913760 - 3697695)

I 16:59:28 Synchronising Cache...

I 16:59:29 Closing Track...

I 16:59:30 Finalising Disc...

I 17:01:48 Image MD5: 58d8ff7156a90752dcc9a8f69a63070a

I 17:01:48 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 01:47:12

I 17:01:48 Average Write Rate: 1,180 KB/s (0.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 1,347 KB/s (1.0x)

that's pio mode, one way or the other

device manager tells me the drive is in DMA mode though =/

i tried uninstalling the controller and rebooting, that didn't work

instlling the drivers you linked me to didn't work either

?!?!?!?!?!

Do you have dvdinfopro installed if not install it and save graph after writing disc or look at CPU usage whilst burning it will be very high if your data transfer is PIO.

Have you got the driver in at all as according to jmicron site any Cdrom connected to their controller will be indentified as SCSI.

maybe check your bios to see if you have got the ide bit set up correct or maybe update bios.

Never used jmicron have it on a couple of my boards as secondary IDE so not to sure about the driver itself I do know that that controller is not up to much.

I seem to remember something to do with raid with this controller causing problems.

I downloaded and read the manual, total waste of time, so many mistakes! Make sure the serial 2 controller is not in raid.

Connect the hard drives to the top sata connectors(intel chipset)

what's the driver date on the jmicron controller?

I downloaded and read the manual, total waste of time, so many mistakes! Make sure the serial 2 controller is not in raid.

Connect the hard drives to the top sata connectors(intel chipset)

what's the driver date on the jmicron controller?

i have an external HD kit, so i plugged the burner into that and tried creating a disk.....it now burns are full speed.

my drives aren't in raid, and i had startup issues when plugging the hard drives into the top 2 connectors so i have them plugged into 1 and 4.

thanks for all the help guys!

Do you have dvdinfopro installed if not install it and save graph after writing disc or look at CPU usage whilst burning it will be very high if your data transfer is PIO.

Have you got the driver in at all as according to jmicron site any Cdrom connected to their controller will be indentified as SCSI.

maybe check your bios to see if you have got the ide bit set up correct or maybe update bios.

Never used jmicron have it on a couple of my boards as secondary IDE so not to sure about the driver itself I do know that that controller is not up to much.

I seem to remember something to do with raid with this controller causing problems.

CPU usage is VERY high, i have a e6400 with 2gb of ram and as i burn, the system slows down and you can see the mouse pointer skipping as it moves.

i installed the jmicron driver using ecs' setup disk and using the files from the link chewy sent me, still getting slow burn speeds

i've got a sata controller wtih an ide port lying around, so i'll put that in later and see if it works.

I 15:14:35 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

While you're at it, ditch the Ritek media. They truly are garbage. Grab some Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and save yourself alot of grief.

yea i used to use verbatims but decided to switch to memorex disks because of the price. they haven't given me any issues/coasters so far, just slower burn speeds compared to the verbatim disks.

wowsza, The Memorex may be burning for you all right at the moment, but if you go back and try watching the disc in a year or so, even 6 months you may find out why we're so adament on Verbs and Tys as the blank media of choice. :)

While you're at it, ditch the Ritek media. They truly are garbage. Grab some Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and save yourself alot of grief.

yea i used to use verbatims but decided to switch to memorex disks because of the price. they haven't given me any issues/coasters so far, just slower burn speeds compared to the verbatim disks.

Do a scan with DVDInfoPro and have another look. There's a good reason why we don't use them here. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.