Blu-ray HD-DVD media and recorders publically available?

therock003

When do you suppose that Blu-ray and HD-DVD media and recorders will become accesible to the public?MEaning of course that price being sold will be conevenien and there will be a switch from dvd to the next-gen media?

Today you can buy the latest,fastest and best dvd-/+ r/rw recorders on the market with like 50-70,100 euros at the worst if its a plextor drive, and media in bulk qualities on quantities of a 100 discs available with 20euros.So far so good.

But what's with the next gen stuff?What's up with that?

Media and the consumer are pretty much at a standstill right now. Blu-ray and Hi-def are here, but why would anyone exchange their $70.00 DVD player for a $700.00 Blu-ray or $350.00 Hi-Def setup? Right now, Hollywood and the rest of the entertainment manufacturers aren't going to convince anyone that either of these is the way to go for the forseeable future. The economy is at a standstill in most countries, energy, food costs and just about everything else is going up, which has a tremendous effect on disposable income and consumer spending is not increasing except in essential purchases. A quick Google for Blu-ray show that it has come down quickly within the last few months, but still has a long way to go before it, or any other format, replaces the DVD as the consumers choice of media.

Choices

:thumbup:

Since they are still a new fad I think you'll look at maybe 18 months to 2 years for the current style to seriously drop in cost. They'll get cheaper as the revisions to the process start to come in from the manufacturers, but they will control the speed of the changes to keep the price up. DL discs are still holding at a cost that doesn't make sense, yet the burners that were so expensive a couple years ago are now unbelievably cheap. New technology is now in the works that uses a nuclear core to burn data to a disc at the molecular level. It's no more dangerous than a smoke detector, but it enables storage discs, the size of a cd, to hold damned near a 1/2 terrabyte of info. I think the whole Blu-ray thing is going to seriously be just a hiccup when compared to the way storage is going to be changed within the next 4-8 years. IT info is doubling somewhere near the rate of 100% every couple years currently and by 2015 it will be doubling every 5-6 months and then every 8 weeks by 2025 if I remember the Cisco projections correctly. :thumbup:

Interesting POV, spinner. I agree - soon, optical media may be a thing of the past, as we store movies on memory sticks and play them through USB ports. No scratches, fingerprints or lasers going outa whack. Can't be far off from becoming the norm - just need the price per Gb to drop a bit more for these jump drives.

So, I'll be holding off buying insanely expensive HDVD/BD players (in any event, a dual format one would be a necessity at the moment - as opposed to a media centre PC plugged into the home theatre system).

Regards

the price of hardware etc usually comes down when the manufacturers have the next gimmick already on the shelf waiting to be released .IMO the cost of the new Blu Ray and HiDef stuff just isn't worth it ,yeah it would be nice to have but for 23 cents a disc (Verbatims) the quality of the video does these tired old eyes just fine :thumbup: .The initial high cost of hardware is to recover the R & D money.Here in the US the IPhone was released with much fanfare at about $600 or so maybe 2 months later they slashed the price $200 you should of heard the squealing from those that paid top price =))

Blu;

I agree, jump drives and personal HDD's are coming fast. Google has 16 Gb jump drives at $175.00 with larger ones on the horizon.

I won't invest in the current crop of mega storage devices until I get my next system, which may be a couple years off depending on my current machines health between now and then. I believe that the manufacturers are doing the same thing with the current media types that they did with the whole home DVD market. They split it between + and- R and screwed the pooch in the process. HD and BR are looking to be the same mistake. They are not making enough $ producing and marketing their products, they want control of the final bit of profit all the way down to the media it's sold on and the system it's played on.

spinner

There's also the fact that DVD5s (single layer) still have the majority of the market share. The demand for DL simply isn't there when most people don't have the need to dump terabytes of data onto the more expensive DL format. With huge harddrives as cheap as they are, portable harddrives and large pen drives/jump disks cheaply available, there just isn't the need for them as much anymore. At least that's my opinion. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.