Read Mode - "Set Read Speed"

BoSox2882

Thanks LUK

In the event someone wanted to slow it down (scratched disc or something) what would be a good setting to put it at? I mean if its set at 4X would it read the disc at 4X or slowly build up to 4X read speed? If it was set at say 8X would it try to read data faster than it should, thus maybe not getting a good read?

It's down to the drive as to how and when it speeds up / slows down.

All setting the read speed does is impose a 'maximum' limit that the drive shouldn't exceed.

The a certain disc is scratched so badly that it can't be read normally, I'd probably use 1x as that's when you've the best chance of reading something due to the slower rotational speed.

For every day use, MAX is fine.

One last question. If you intend to backup something directly for storage purpose or such, is it any safer to use a lower read speed? I guess what I am getting at is for an important backup would it be better to use a low speed and if so which?

Thank you very much for the help.

It makes no difference.

You're looking for problems where they don't exist! Just read your discs at MAX and if you come across a messed up one that's been dragged along a gravel floor, THEN think about slowing the read speed down until you can finally read it or decide to give up.

I was just testing my two drives to check read speed. I have a BenQ1620 and LiteOn H6S, they both should read at 16X right?

I tested them with read speed set at 16X, MAX, and 8X.

When I set the BenQ1620 to 16X and started reading, it prompted me I selected 16X while actual read speed will be 8X. On all three settings the BenQ reached a max read of 8X, and an average of 5.5 for all three reads. Shouldnt it be reading at 16X?

As for the LiteOn tested it on all three settings as well. It prompted me that actual read speed would be 12.1. However, on all three settings it topped out at 8.2 and averaged 5.7.

Is this right? Or is something amiss?

I believe with MCSE I could modify the firmware in the BenQ 1620, that would allow it to start 6X and finish over 14X.

I dont mind reading at my current 8X, but would it be best to patch the firmware, and then still set it at 8X?

The BenQ 1620 at 8X read speed only took around 15 mins to rip a full DVD+R DL.

I could modify the firmware in the BenQ 1620, that would allow it to start 6X and finish over 14X.

Why bother? :unsure:

Well, to make the read speed twice as fast. But I am kind of liking the BenQ20 at 8X read speed. Averages 5.5 and maxes at 8X, takes around 15 mins.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.