More Samsung SH-S203B Poblems

willb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgraded firmware. Same exact problem - same exact media - same exact write method (DAO) try by Track? :

Drive Media Info before bad burn:

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB03 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,295,104

Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes

Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00

Log:

I 10:03:56 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 10:03:56 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 10:03:56 Total Physical Memory: 2,094,800 KB - Available: 1,051,472 KB

W 10:03:56 AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn's ability to verify accurately, please ensure it's disabled!

I 10:03:56 Initialising SPTI...

I 10:03:56 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 10:03:56 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

post-6859-1208964400_thumb.png

Edited by bonecrusher

Those are low quality discs, so try burning at 8x, maybe 12x, and see how it goes. You don't need to remove AnyDVD: just make sure you're using the latest version available and that it's disabled while burning with ImgBurn.

By the way, in the log it shows 'Book Type Setting: N/A' because the drive doesn't report it, but I can assure you it does booktype properly, provided that you're using ImgBurn's default settings.

Those are low quality discs, so try burning at 8x, maybe 12x, and see how it goes. You don't need to remove AnyDVD: just make sure you're using the latest version available and that it's disabled while burning with ImgBurn.

By the way, in the log it shows 'Book Type Setting: N/A' because the drive doesn't report it, but I can assure you it does booktype properly, provided that you're using ImgBurn's default settings.

Yep, I set AUTO media type at 16x. Failed @ 99%. Ug. Then set media to 12x. Burned finished. (Verifying as I type this.)

I know this has probably been posted a number of times, but what is a good dependable media to use with this drive that will at least support approx 16x?

Also, not that I doubt you, but if BookType is set, why does it fail when trying to set it manually?

Thanks so much for quick response mmalves!

Ok verify is done.

BTW I am using Vista 64bit (Ultimate.) Just have compatibility mode set for this program as per others suggestions:

I 10:49:47 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 10:49:47 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 10:49:47 Total Physical Memory: 2,094,800 KB - Available: 769,240 KB

W 10:49:47 AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn's ability to verify accurately, please ensure it's disabled!

I 10:49:47 Initialising SPTI...

I 10:49:47 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 10:49:48 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

post-6859-1208966649_thumb.png

Edited by bonecrusher

Just have compatibility mode set for this program as per others suggestions

Who suggested that?!

Make it look like Vista again or none of the Vista 'tweaks' will be visible.

Don't remember where I saw that post. I was having other issues when I first installed and I remember "Running as Admin + XP Comp." as being possible fixes... It's set it back. ;)

Are those the latest drivers? I'm asking because something is blocking/modifying the booktype command. Even though the drive doesn't report the current setting, when you do a manual booktype to DVD-ROM it should say Success.

Incase you need it, the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver is available from here:

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

or more directly...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...ms&lang=eng

That's the one I'd normally associate with AHCI/RAID.

Likewise, if you want to go direct to Intel, the Chipset INF can be found here:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/

but that's only version 8.3.1.1009 whereas Gigabyte appears to be hosting a newer (8.3.1.1011) one.

but that's only version 8.3.1.1009 whereas Gigabyte appears to be hosting a newer (8.3.1.1011) one.

Many thanks!

I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled. That driver listed on GB site is not that version. Or more to the point it installs v 8.3.0.1016.

Or maybe Vista has me beat? ha. I swear I installed it correctly. I had to reboot. I uninstalled the driver file as well as deleted it. And Vista came back up with generic sata controllers. Then I installed the driver.

Strange. Maybe I will try the one on intel site. Thanks again.

There is one file I found with a version matching the file listing (plus the readme's version info says 8.3.1.1011.):

post-6859-1209011991_thumb.png

Edited by bonecrusher

Are you actually running your HDDs in RAID? If not, you should just put the controller back on the standard ATA mode.

That's what I ended up doing.

If that INF update doesn't work (I'm not sure if it actually installs any drivers?), try the Intel Matrix one.

By 'work', I mean that it lets you manually perform the booktype stuff.

Are you actually running your HDDs in RAID? If not, you should just put the controller back on the standard ATA mode.

That's what I ended up doing.

If that INF update doesn't work (I'm not sure if it actually installs any drivers?), try the Intel Matrix one.

By 'work', I mean that it lets you manually perform the booktype stuff.

No- not running in RAID. I am planning on possibly running in RAID in future. The funny thing is, that if you try and boot vista64/XP/etc (at least on this bios) you either have to install using ATA configuration or AHCI, and once installed if you change it back you get blue screened on boot up (in other words you have to re-install. It did this to me after I installed it under ATA (main) Bios, and then tried to turn on AHCI+NCQ. So before I added all the programs/etc (like imgburn :) ) I decided to format/reinstall using AHCI (in case I needed it in the furture.) I also wanted NCQ to use eSATA bracket at some point. (Have to use AHCI bios for that.) My point is I would rather get it working like it is. Sounds like I shouldn't have a problem reverting back, actually. And it sounds to me that to avoid BSOD (when switching on secondary bios, you just need to boot up with regular bios and install AHCI/SATA drivers, then turn AHCI bios on and reboot into OS. But I have seen(read) differing opinions/results doing this under Vista.

refs:

WikiPedia (AHCI)-See Problems (Microsoft) near top.

Vista Fix?

Edited by bonecrusher

I have two S203Bs running in AHCI on an Abit AN-M2HD (Nvidia 630a/7050). ImgBurn's manual booktyping does not function with Vista's MS AHCI driver resulting in 'unknown function'. Setting to SATA IDE in the BIOS doesn't help as then strange things happen during burn verification, basically the data transfer just kinda stops and ImgBurn is left just sitting waiting for something from the drive/OS (I'm guessing) and rebooting is the only way to recover.

Recently I persuaded Vista64 to accept the Nvidia SATA driver and that lets ImgBurn manual booktyping work but ImgBurn still can't finalise any DVD+R in the S203Bs, it fails with either burner, the resulting disks won't play on standalones, PS3 and my other PCs won't recognise them. For me the auto retry on finalise is a waste :(

Annoyingly enough some other burning tools manage to finalise their burns and the disks play on standalones and are recognised by other PCs. I can even use ImgBurns manual booktyping to set DVD+R to DVD-ROM and then close ImgBurn and burn with another tool and the disks come out booktyped as DVD-ROM >_<

I'd rather use ImgBurn but just can't get the S203B or S203N burners to work with it :wacko: So I use IsoBurner with my S203s. ImgBurn works beatifully on my other PCs with Plextor and BenQ burners.

I don't have those PIF spikes at the end of burns, here's a 16x burn on Verbatim DVD+R 16x that I just did

post-577-1209549015_thumb.png

post-577-1209548993_thumb.png

Edited by liam

Got a log of the failed burns?

There are only a handful of ways to do the burning / finalising so if the correct combo of settings isn't already available to give you something that works, I can quite easily add them.

It's a shame that the Samsung drives have this problem but they do.

It's been so long since I used to ImgBurn on this PC that I had to check if it was installed after the the last reinstall of Vista, I did a couple of burns, here is what I get, I tried two burns the first one is Write settings at defaults and the second is with Auto booktyping unticked, I did remember to quit and restart ImgBurn for the settings change to take effect.

ImgBurn.log

If you mean where talked about how running set as SATA IDE in the BIOS causes a problem? It's MS's generic driver not working 100% with the motherboard BIOS or chipset which isn't ImgBurns fault and it can fixed by just putting the BIOS back to SATA AHCI and letting Vista use the MS AHCI driver or forcing Nvidia's in. If you think the info will be helpful I can recreate it by just reverting the settings in the BIOS and in Vista.

ISOburner 1.1 will burn the same image files that ImgBurn can't seem to finalise with the S203Bs, just to be completely clear - ImgBurn will burn the files on other burners, its just the S203Bs and S203Ns that don't want to work.

Linkage http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

Edited by liam

No the two disk I just burnt are scrap, no standalone I have tried will play them, usual error is something like 'insert a DVD', PS3 says something like 'not a playable disc', my Plextor PX716A and PX760A don't recognise the disks both drives sit there with the yellow light flashing, the Samsungs will happily verify the disk and if you open PowerDVD they will play them too.

If it's helpful I will burn another with verify and post the log.

here's the copy+paste from the right hand panel

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB03 (Fibre)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2,040,320

Size: 4,178,575,360 bytes

Time: 453:26:20 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2040319)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 2040320)

Track Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, TS: 2040320, LRA: 0)

Disc Control Blocks Information:

TSSTcorp SH-S183B

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,236,927

the here's the log file from burning and verifying the disk in the Samsung

ImgBurn.log

I tried the disk in an old standalone it says 'disk cannot be played (may be faulty)', another newer Toshiba 'The disc is not DVD format. Cannot play this disc' and the PS3 little blue light comes on and it makes some seeking noises but then stops after a few seconds and doesn't recognise it enough to play.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.