Help a newbie!!

packmule123

Chewy-

I tried to update my firmware via codeguys...but there site is not cooperating. I also tried to follow this advice from the thread you linked to me: " Without a log it's difficult to say what the problem is, but your firmware seems well out-of-date. You are on BGS4, and the latest is BS0Y. Update the firmware and see if that helps.

http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/SOHW...re/DR16BS0Y.zip " but I get an incompatability error message when I try to run the program BSOY Xflash. It states that this is only for Liteon dvd SOHW-1633s...which is my drive!!! Is this because you have to patch and cross flash in order to install the new firmware properly?? Please advise further.

Also in the aformentioned thread the guy you guys helped said he updated firmware, but that did not solve the problem completely. Maybe I just missed it but I didn't see the step (some mentioned download) that enabled him to actually burn properly. Please help me get through this...I'm losing my mind with this!!!

At one link to update the firmware it seems like all the firmware is old and not close to the latest:

-SOHW-1633S (2.4X(+R DL) 16X(+R) 4X(+RW) & 8X(-R)4X(-RW) & 48/24/48/16) Binary Windows DOS

- BS01 - Dated "2004/07/26 22:31" B - -

- BS02 - Dated "2004/08/11 21:16" B - -

- BS03 - Dated "2004/08/12 13:42" B - -

- BS06 - Dated "2004/08/18 15:51" B - -

- BS0A - Dated "2004/08/20 19:01" B - -

- BS0C - Dated "2004/08/27 17:53" B(codeguys) W(codeguys) -

- BS0G - Dated "2004/09/08 19:24" B W(codeguys) -

- BS0H - Dated "2004/09/13 14:38" B W -

- BS0K - Dated "2004/10/12 21:52" B W -

- BS0R - Dated "2004/11/18 09:59" B W -

- BS0S - Dated "2004/12/14 18:07" B W -

Upgrade to 4X(+R DL) and 12X(-R) from Liteon Americas

- BS41 - Dated "2004/10/29 18:28" B W -

I suppose it does not matter because I have the newest version I just don't know what to do with it yet!!

Edited by packmule123

Chewy and (other gods and experts):

These are the stats of my Liteon SOHW-1633s: DVD±RW 16x Multi Format Double Layer (16x+R, 4x+RW, 2.4x+R9, 8x-R, 4x-RW) Which type of discs should I be using- SL or DL and what speed 8x or 16x. I've read this forum enough to KNOW to use Verbatim for DL and Taiyo Yuden for SL. Advice I will take, especially since if you go to the right sources you can get these cheaper than any store that sells the crappy ones!! Please excuse my ignorance, but I suppose everybody knows nothing about anything to start with. It's all about what you are willing to learn.

Still having Firmware updating issues!!! And am scared of warnings in "flashing drives forums"!! I may need some serious hand holding for this function. :unsure:

http://codeworks.cdfreaks.com/cgmirror/

read up on crossflashing and unpacking rar's

this is rocket science/mountainering 101

no hand holding tho, if you want to burn dvd's, got to get your feet wet

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5452&hl=

go slow and read everything

:yes:

Gotcha guys..."no hand holding"!! I will however still be asking questions along the way....if that's permissible. Like I said earlier, it's all about what you are willing to learn. WILLING to learn being the operative word. I am willing and don't mind good 'ol fashion trial and error. I just want to keep the errors to coasters and DVD flubs...not drive meltdowns, hence the occassional question asking. Thanks for your support thus far. :thumbup:

Oh by the way about the disks.....which (and I don't mean brand) should I use for my drive: Speed and layer?? My drive info is posted earlier in the thread. I'd appreciate a response post haste so I can get started with getting my feet wet!!

Edited by packmule123

try to burn no faster than 8x if the new firmware worked, also might think about better media like verbatim or taiyo yuden's

I plan on using the aformentioned brands of media, however I am still unclear as to which I need to buy. Does my drive support single or double layer DVD-Rs. I sent the specs form my drive earlier in the thread. I will buy the 8x as reccommended, but again...single or doule layer?? I get conflicting data on this issue depending where I look for drive specs. I've already researched which DVD-Rs I will buy form supermediastore.com...and they will definitely be taiyo yuden's or verbatim depending on the layer I need. I just need to know the layer thing so I get going. Again, please advise post haste so I can order them and get burning!! Thanks again.

Edited by packmule123

I was practicing with some ritek/fuji film crap DVD's....and behold I had a successful burn. THANKS MOST LIKELY TO MY FIRMWARE UPDATE...THANKS AGAIN GUYS.

The movie in VOB fromat is now on the DVD I intended. It verifies on my computer and plays with powerDVD, but alas, none of my DVD players in the house can load it!!! Sony or Tobisha. What gives.....do I need to change the format to DVD for my players to read it? I have a converter that I think will do that. Please Advise: SO CLOSE, YET SO FAR AWAY!!!

help me!!!

what happens on your sony and toshiba when you try and play the disc ?, what error message do they give you .

whats the models of each dvd player your using ?

a quick google shows your drive can handle the following formats. ive made Bold the main ones.

basuically it will do both +R and -R as well as Dual layer +R discs.

DVD-ROM,

DVD-Video,

DVD+R,

DVD+RW,

DVD-R,

DVD+R9,( dual layer)

DVD-RW,

CD-Extra,

CD-I,

CD-ROM,

Audio CD,

CDR,CD-RW,

CD-ROM,

CD-ROM XA,

CD Test,

Photo CD,

Hybrid CD

what we need to ascertain now is what discs your player will handle, hence the request for the actual model numbers for each player

Firmware successfully updated for the lite-on drive...Thanks you guys!!! About the media...let me know ASAP.

That wasn't so hard was it? :thumbup:

I was practicing with some ritek/fuji film crap DVD's

It's OK to practice with these discs, but now you see why we recommend Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. It could simply be a compatability issue with the Riteks/Fuji and Verbs and TY's seem to have the highest compatability rate along stand alone players.

what happens on your sony and toshiba when you try and play the disc ?, what error message do they give you .

whats the models of each dvd player your using ?

a quick google shows your drive can handle the following formats. ive made Bold the main ones.

basuically it will do both +R and -R as well as Dual layer +R discs.

DVD-ROM,

DVD-Video,

DVD+R,

DVD+RW,

DVD-R,

DVD+R9,( dual layer)

DVD-RW,

CD-Extra,

CD-I,

CD-ROM,

Audio CD,

CDR,CD-RW,

CD-ROM,

CD-ROM XA,

CD Test,

Photo CD,

Hybrid CD

what we need to ascertain now is what discs your player will handle, hence the request for the actual model numbers for each player

RE: Disk type...do you recommend burning single or DL disks or does it depend on what your trying to do?? (Again obviously VB or TY) Also, I did some research on my drive and thought I could burn dvd rw (can't remember if it was + or -)...Am I wrong in that?

RE: DVD compatability..the sony is model SLV-D281P......According to Sony support the player only plays .VTS formated files. I don't get any error messages the disk just keeps loading forever....and ever..and ever...etc. I don't have access to the model number of the second player...my wife is sleeping in there, but it does the same thing; no error...just infinite loading with some squeaky noises. Do some players play .VOB or DIVX files?

Let me know what you think and I will get the other model info. Also after you recommend SL or DL I will get some good media and try those.

Thanks for your help guys...thus far!!

PS: Love your Avatar!!

Edited by packmule123

RE: Disk type...do you recommend burning single or DL disks or does it depend on what your trying to do?? (Again obviously VB or TY) Also, I did some research on my drive and thought I could burn dvd rw (can't remember if it was + or -)...Am I wrong in that?;/quote]

Depends how big your project is depends wether you need single layer or dual layer.

Yes, you can use RW ( re-writable) discs with that drive . I only highlighted the main formats, not all of them :thumbup:

RE: DVD compatability..the sony is model SLV-D281P......According to Sony support the player only plays .VTS formated files. I don't get any error messages the disk just keeps loading forever....and ever..and ever...etc. I don't have access to the model number of the second player...my wife is sleeping in there, but it does the same thing; no error...just infinite loading with some squeaky noises. Do some players play .VOB or DIVX files?

Let me know what you think and I will get the other model info. Also after you recommend SL or DL I will get some good media and try those.

Thanks for your help guys...thus far!!

PS: Love your Avatar!!

sounds like its your Sony player just dont like the discs your using. not every player likes every disc, or indeed every burner for that matter. this should chamge when you get some decent media

There are DivX players our there , usually they play both DVD and DivX .

are you in Europe ? as svp do a sample pack of media you can try before you buy a lot of discs

sounds like its your Sony player just dont like the discs your using. not every player likes every disc, or indeed every burner for that matter. this should chamge when you get some decent media

There are DivX players our there , usually they play both DVD and DivX .

are you in Europe ? as svp do a sample pack of media you can try before you buy a lot of discs

I'm in NorthAmerica...no PAL for me... NTSC only. You really think that the .vob files will play when written on better media? What about the .vts format sony states is the only playable format. If it is more than a media problem are there converters to the aformentioned format?? Thus far I have converters that can do pretty much anything except .vts....mpeg-4, wvm, mpeg, .vob, psp formats, Ipod fornats, DIVX, .flv, .asf, .avi etc. etc. etc.

I'm hoping that good media will solve all my difficulties...if not, I will need further assistance. >_<

Also, regarding my layer question...which should I be burning (according to my drive specs) DL or SL ....no one ever answers this one for me.

Edited by packmule123

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.