burning DL

zeta_immersion

Hi all, i am having some trouble burning a dvd-r dl ... mainly the burning process (i have a pioneer dvr109)

i put the dvd in, i choose the image and i hit burn (the program has all the default options as it comes ) and then i get an error saying

layer Jump recording disabled!

cannot set the break position when burning dvd-r dl media in dao mode.

(and i hit no not to continue because i am not sure if i want to waste another dvd)

the image has an mds and from the looks of it the program sees the layer break (some numbers and stuff)

on the other hand alcohol is not giving any errors and the process goes flowlessly but the dvd is not working

nero i did not try it since it looked doubtfull it knew what it was doing

could anyone help me understand this thing please? ...

Thank you.

the DL discs that have a high success rate are not the - DL's . Verbatin + DL's are the way to go ,really high success rates I think most if not all here use them, everything else is a gamble .Use IMBburn to burn them and you wont have any problems .The layer break will be in exactly the right place also :thumbup:

Not trying to get off track here, but I have been curious overall about the +/- thing. when I started burning I got + (4.5's) and had dubious success. Then I was told that - works best in most players. I haven't tried DL yet, but am still using DVD-R's (Ritek Ridata's, though you have been putting doubts in my head recently)

:unsure:

Not trying to get off track here, but I have been curious overall about the +/- thing. when I started burning I got + (4.5's) and had dubious success. Then I was told that - works best in most players. I haven't tried DL yet, but am still using DVD-R's (Ritek Ridata's, though you have been putting doubts in my head recently)

:unsure:

its not so much the +/- thing but the dye manufacturer . Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim with the mcc dye being the best. Reading back + discs isn't what it was most new players handle it fine its the old players that were a problem and in some cases + wasn't supported at all .To reiterate even the best and most popular "brands " can be crap its the dye .You can find out who the dye manufacturer is by putting a blank or written disc in the BURNER and reading the info window see the disc ID Taiyo Yudens :thumbup:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.1A (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 1,977,408

Size: 4,049,731,584 bytes

Time: 439:27:33 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Appreciate the info, polopony.

Has Taiyo-Yuden been known to use bad dye? Reason I'm asking is here Meritline and it sounds too good to be true, but Meritline offers good customer satisfaction.

I remember about a year ago reading that Ricoh had a bad rep with their media, but don't remember if anything was said about TY. I heard that after the scrutiny, RICOH RIDATA brand got their rep back and I've had good luck with them. I usually can get 100 for $36.99 US with free shipping and rarely have a bad burn.

Meritline

I started checking them recently with DVD Info Pro and the results are fairly good overall, though I'm just starting to learn to read the graphs.

the DL discs that have a high success rate are not the - DL's . Verbatin + DL's are the way to go ,really high success rates I think most if not all here use them, everything else is a gamble .Use IMBburn to burn them and you wont have any problems .The layer break will be in exactly the right place also :thumbup:
In burning over 450 Verbatim DVD+R DL discs I have not had a bad burn yet. In burning over 550 Verbatim DVD-R discs (not DL) I have only had 2 coasters and one of them was my fault. Verbs are the way to go. :thumbup:

In burning over 450 Verbatim DVD+R DL discs I have not had a bad burn yet. In burning over 550 Verbatim DVD-R discs (not DL) I have only had 2 coasters and one of them was my fault. Verbs are the way to go. :thumbup:

What do you use for coasters? :lol: I've got enough to last 6 lifetimes betweeen testers and various other "experiments" =))

What do you use for coasters? :lol: I've got enough to last 6 lifetimes betweeen testers and various other "experiments" =))

I just get people to send me their CMC discs. muttley.gif

Appreciate the info, polopony.

Has Taiyo-Yuden been known to use bad dye? Reason I'm asking is here Meritline and it sounds too good to be true, but Meritline offers good customer satisfaction.

I remember about a year ago reading that Ricoh had a bad rep with their media, but don't remember if anything was said about TY. I heard that after the scrutiny, RICOH RIDATA brand got their rep back and I've had good luck with them. I usually can get 100 for $36.99 US with free shipping and rarely have a bad burn.

Meritline

I started checking them recently with DVD Info Pro and the results are fairly good overall, though I'm just starting to learn to read the graphs.

Meritline is a good company and I've bought my blank media from : them for years .John in tech support is especially helpfull and they stand behind everything they sell :thumbup:

In my last post were two links that I meant to stand out better, so my point was "Taiyo Yuden Value DVD-R"?

(100 Pack Taiyo Yuden 4X DVD-R Media 4.7GB Silver Lacquer Blank DVDR Disc (DVD-R47VAL600SK), $0.24 Each). I think I'll have to try them nonetheless.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.