I have no idea what I'm doing

Ellie

Okay - I'm trying to copy a DVD to my hard drive. Let me know if this makes sense. My Dad burned all of my family VHS home videos onto DVD's. I now want to copy them onto my hard drive. How do I do this? The reason I want to do this is because every time I try to play the movies from the DVD on my DVD player or my computer, the movies freeze constantly. Also, I'm not able to move from one menu title to another on the DVD because that also freezes. I'm wondering if this is because the DVD is poor quality. So, the reason I want to copy it onto my hard drive is because I want to reburn it onto a high quality disc. Does this make any sense. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Use the Read mode of ImgBurn to create disc images from your DVDs, then switch to Write mode to burn those images to new discs. We recommend using Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media, as they're known for being high quality. Have a look in the Guides section to learn more about ImgBurn :)

Use the Read mode of ImgBurn to create disc images from your DVDs, then switch to Write mode to burn those images to new discs. We recommend using Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media, as they're known for being high quality. Have a look in the Guides section to learn more about ImgBurn :)

That does not help me. I need STEP BY STEP instructions. Thanks. I'm not a pro in here like the rest of you.

put the problem dvd in your dvd drive, have imgburn in read mode

copy and paste the right hand screen contents into a reply

it's going to be hard to get a good read off those disks if your standalone player won't play them right

put the problem dvd in your dvd drive, have imgburn in read mode

copy and paste the right hand screen contents into a reply

it's going to be hard to get a good read off those disks if your standalone player won't play them right

Okay here it is:

SONY DVD+-RW DW-D56A PDS7 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2,052,496

Size: 4,203,511,808 bytes

Time: 456:08:46 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 1519)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 2052496)

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: LD

Recording Management Area Information:

MATSHITA DVD-RAM DMR-E30 C0087532 A109 11/20/02

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-R

Part Version: 5

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,249,103

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

your dad's dvd recorder was a good one and those disks for 1X 4 year old media were supposedly good

unless the disks are in pristine shape I am not sure you'll get a good read in a premium regular sized dvd drive in a computer

do they play in your laptop and a better standalone without screwing up.

If they don't, you would need to reburn the vcr tapes again

If a drive won't play the disk right it can't read it to copy it?

your dad's dvd recorder was a good one and those disks for 1X 4 year old media were supposedly good

unless the disks are in pristine shape I am not sure you'll get a good read in a premium regular sized dvd drive in a computer

do they play in your laptop and a better standalone without screwing up.

If they don't, you would need to reburn the vcr tapes again

If a drive won't play the disk right it can't read it to copy it?

Ok - I try to play them in my laptop but they freeze up on me. And you're saying if they're going to freeze while playing in my laptap, I'm not going to be able to copy them because they're not playing properly correct?

Are you also saying that the DVD's will read differently in different devices. Like it may read poorly in my laptop but could play perfectly well in a DVD player. And are there different qualities of DVD's players where they would play better than others?

Is there something I can do to the DVD's to make them play better, clean them, etc.

I can't reburn the tapes again because I taped over them once my Dad got them onto DVD's.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get a perfect understanding of what I am doing. I really have no idea what to do here. But if someone just walked me through the process one time, I would get it right away.

Thanks again for your help.

Ok - I try to play them in my laptop but they freeze up on me. And you're saying if they're going to freeze while playing in my laptap, I'm not going to be able to copy them because they're not playing properly correct?

They're likely not playing properly because of a flaw within the disk or damage to the disk itself. For example, the different layers that make up a DVD can separate making it impossible for the laser in your drive to focus correctly.

Are you also saying that the DVD's will read differently in different devices. Like it may read poorly in my laptop but could play perfectly well in a DVD player. And are there different qualities of DVD's players where they would play better than others?

A normal DVD player in your loungeroom has different programming to the one in your PC. Your PC will bitch and complain about just about every error it finds. The one in your loungeroom is programmed to skip errors if it can. An error that your PC can't resolve will be probably be skipped without you even noticing on a standalone unit.

Is there something I can do to the DVD's to make them play better, clean them, etc.

Not really. If your disk is stuffed to the point of not reading after being cleaned, then it'll remain stuffed. You can't repair a dodgy disk.

I can't reburn the tapes again because I taped over them once my Dad got them onto DVD's.

Not much you can do. You could always try a DVD recorder to copy the files onto its harddrive and re-copy the files onto a DVD. In any case, it's not a software problem.

Have you actually tried reading the disc off using Read mode?

It's not rocket science, just load the program, select 'Read' mode from the 'Mode' menu are the top, put your disc in the drive and hit the big 'Read' button down the bottom left of the main ImgBurn window.

That'll read it to an image file on your hard drive.

Then follow the guide in the Guides section to write the image file back to disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.