Looking at buying a new LG writer

JasonFriday13

I am looking at buying an LG writer in the next few months. Something a little more up to date and as a reserve drive in case my current one goes pop. I was looking at a H10N or similar (Black, to match my case). Any cheap suggestions (money wise)?

Thanks mmalves, my drive turns out to be a BK OEM, when I purchased it all I got was the drive and the plastic bag that protects it.

Get the latest model available for the interface you want to use (e.g. GSA-H50N/H55N for IDE or GSA-H62N for SATA).

The icing on the cake is that I currently use IDE for my drives, but I also have four SATA connecters on my motherboard. So I can make use of those in the future.

Oh, and blu doesn't have to convince me, LG writers all the way!

Just having a look on the net while writing this reply and I think I am moving towards the GSA-H55N K (black faceplate) with the readspeed patch.

I found an online store in New Zealand that sells the drive I am after. The site is PlayTech. They accept online bank deposits and branch deposits :).

Next question: for NZD $5, is it worth buying the LightScribe drive instead of the standard one? Mostly all I do after I write a disc is label it with a label describing the contents, eg Backup, *_movie (rarely used).

I bought the BenQ 1655 for the LS feature as I'm a sucka for gimmicks....I've used it maybe 4-5 times. The printable discs are much better IMHO and that is what I use primarily. But some seem the like the LS discs. $5 isn't a big difference for the feature, so try it out....you don't have to use it and you aren't out a whole lot of dough.

Next question: for NZD $5, is it worth buying the LightScribe drive instead of the standard one? Mostly all I do after I write a disc is label it with a label describing the contents, eg Backup, *_movie (rarely used).

Jason;

I run the BenQ 1655 lightscribe and it isn't worth the time or the 5 dollar difference. The discs are slightly more expensive, the drive is slightly more expensive and the time investment, while waiting for the disc to be labeled, is freekin' nuts. It does a nice job, but a little patience with a magic marker accomplishes the same objective...and you save the time and costs involved. :thumbup:

spinner

It does a nice job, but a little patience with a magic marker accomplishes the same objective

I never have been able to draw pictures on a disc with a sharpie that looked worth a damn.... :) I also forgot to mention the time factor, it is rediculous.

So can you still use a vivid to label those lightscribe discs (if choose not to lightscribe them)?

If I start making stencils for my discs, then I would be better off getting the lightscribe drive. It would be better to have the option and not use it, than to not get it and need it later. The prices for both drives are below NZD $60, so I think I will buy the lightscribe drive, just in case I want to use it later. This will be the cheapest writer I have ever bought. My 4167b cost me $150 in January of 2006.

Well, just ordered the lightscribe drive over the internet (LG GSA H55L), after it has been delivered, firmware update time. 1.05 was added to rpc1 just a few days ago. NZD $65.81 including gst and delivery. I can't wait! I got my sister to pay for it online, then I paid her. It should be here about Wednesday next week (5 days).

LOCO;

I never have been able to draw pictures on a disc with a sharpie that looked worth a damn

=))=))...neither have I, but just for labeling purposes all I use is the name of the data I put on the disc anyway, so no need for pix. I used to use a stomper and put labels on everything...then the manufacturers advised not to do that to a dvd so I had to clean them all off...what an experience that was.... :frustrated:

Jason;

I think I will buy the lightscribe drive

Enjoy it, they are decent drives, let me know how you did after you burn and label your first one... :thumbup:

Just a side note, all my dvd+r cases are actually clear cd cases with no inserts, so a pretty picture on the disc is viewable 95% of the time :).

[edit] Another question: Any good lightscribe compatible programs out there? Nero is the easy way out but I prefer not to use it.[/edit]

Edited by JasonFriday13

I use the one that mmalves pointed to in his post, from Lightscribe itself. Make sure to get the accellerator if it's offered. Maybe they incorporated it into the original program by now, but for mine it was a plugin that you needed to install on its' own. :thumbup:

My new writer arrived this afternoon :D.

Front of box:

h55l011kt7.jpg

And my first LightScribed disc:

golflsuc3.jpg

The disc is actually darker than the photo shows. I scribed it three times just to see the contrast changes.

I have already updated the firmware and increased the readspeed. Now its 1.05. Very happy with this drive.

The DMA shows as UDMA 4. My harddrive shows as UDMA 2 (still, it's quick enough).

[edit]I used Nero cover designer to create the labels (very easy to create and manipulate images).[/edit]

Another disc I did with a template from lightscribe.com (scribed once using enhanced and best modes):

lscarsth0.jpg

Edited by JasonFriday13

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.