Looking at buying a new LG writer

JasonFriday13

That second disc took 20 minutes. The first scribe I did I had the contrast setting set to default, in cover designer the quality was set to best. That one took 14 minutes.

The first disc was a photo of a real cd that came with my parents computer in 1995. Microsoft Golf 1.0 Multimedia Edition. I converted it to gray scale and imported it into cover designer for burning.

Is it one of those older 78rpm ones

No. Its a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 250GB IDE, about 6 months old. I still have used just 25GB of so far.

No. Its a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 250GB IDE, about 6 months old. I still have used just 25GB of so far.

I was joking with the 78rpm thing but seriously if that is showing as anything less than udma 5 (I would think it should really be UDMA 6 (ATA 133) then you have issues somewhere.

The hard drive is on an 80 wire yeah ?

I have run the report, but it seems I can't add attachments anymore. The file is waaaaaaay too long to post text-wise.

[edit] Uploaded on rapidshare.[/edit]

Edited by JasonFriday13

ATA Device Properties:

Model ID ST3250820A

Serial Number 5QE2VLFJ

Revision 3.AAE

Device Type ATA-100

Parameters 484521 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 512 bytes per sector

LBA Sectors 488397168

Buffer 8 MB

Multiple Sectors 16

ECC Bytes 4

Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4

Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)

Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 2 (ATA-33)

Unformatted Capacity 238475 MB

-------------------------------------------------

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24D1 5.1.2600.2180

Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB 5.1.2600.2180

Primary IDE Channel 5.1.2600.2180

Primary IDE Channel 5.1.2600.2180

Secondary IDE Channel 5.1.2600.2180

Secondary IDE Channel 5.1.2600.2180

check your bios first to make sure there is not a specific option you have disabled as your hard drive is as you say running in UDMA2

It sort of looks like you do not have the chipset drivers in and are relying on MS drivers, so get latest Intel inf and install install the ultra ata thing and as last resort maybe see if the matrix storage manager will install on your computer(probs will stop you telling you , you do not have the right hardware.

this is latest driver package for your chipset http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearanc...29&lang=eng

Ultra ATA http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

matrix I doubt this will allow you to install and only try this as a last resort try the ultra ATA one above first http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

try the ultra ATA thing first and then check to see what udma is running

I downloaded the drivers and installed them, no change. I tried the ultra ata program, but it says its only compatible with 800 series chipsets. I also downloaded the last app, but I don't like the idea of not being able to remove it (setup told me first before installing). Anything else I can try?

next time you go to install your operating system use the latest drivers

so install XP then install the chipset drivers in your case the inf from Intel or maybe do a test from the mobo cd and install everything after say making a clean ghost image using ghost2003 just after XP goes in with no drivers other than what went in with windows then you can play around as much as you like with drivers and find the combo that works as intended.

If you mess up install ghost image in less than 2 minutes and try again

800 series Unless I misunderstand yours is an 875 chipset and to me that means 800 series but who knows with Intel

I downloaded a few of those versions, all said my system doesn't have the required minimum specs, which probably means I should give up trying to find a solution. I have always thought that a drive is quick as long as it is on DMA, not PIO mode. Thanks to Everest, I now know all the extra goodies that came with my motherboard (gigabit lan, 2x sata, 4x ram slots, firewire headers, overclocking ability).

• 2 weeks later...

Made my second purchase at Playtech, a CPU cooler. A Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu. It's huge! Theres about 10mm between it and the power supply, and one of the bolts on my case fan is interfering with one of the fins. I didn't get the all-copper version because it cost more and its over 300 grams heavier (mine is 600 grams by itself!). Luckily, I can still fit four sticks of RAM in my machine. That should be my next purchase, 4 sticks of DDR 400 1GB RAM, before DDR makes its exit soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.