Security Software Recommendations

greyowl

I have been impressed with the expertise in this forum so wondering if i could get your help on selecting freeware security software, ie antivirus, antispyware, antimalware, firewall, in the proper combination so they don't conflict.

I am running Win2000.

Your help will be appreciated.

AVG free as antivirus(realtime),Comodo Firewall 2.4 pro as firewall(realtime,version 3 is better suited for XP and Vista),Spyware Terminator with resident shield to prevent the installing of spyware(realtime),System Safety Monitor Free to prevent the executing of malicious scripts(realtime) and finally Rootkit Revealer to detect if a hacker compromised your system(on demand)

After this setup,your system is pretty good secured.....

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic

Sunbelt Personal Firewall

Search & Destroy, AdAware, AVG Anti-Spyware & Rootkit Revealer, Spyware Blaster for malware...available from File Hippo

...on XP. As LOCO says check for compatibility with your OS

Edited by Altercuno

ZoneAlarm > always on

AVG Pro > always on

SuperAntiSpyware > always on

Spybot S&D > background as needed

Adaware > background as needed

CA Suite > selected processes always on

Firmware protected router. > always running

And still some crap comes through, depending on if you're on a Russian, Chinese and/or most third world sites. <_<

That clamwin might very well be a good program, apart from you have to manually scan archive file before extraction and other files too.

I would also be very wary of an anti virus that is open source, easy to see how it's supposed to do stuff and then build virus that circumvents. IMO I would be staying clear.

And still some crap comes through, depending on if you're on a Russian, Chinese and/or most third world sites. <_<

What would you be doing on those sites spinner....looking for a bride? :teehee:

If you get a virus from looking at her online, just think of what you'd get if she was sitting right next to you >_<

Thanks so much for the experienced suggestions.

I have been doing some research and discovered Online Armor Personal Firewall free version which is suppose to be very effective and not slow the computer or internet. Has anyone had any experience with this app?

I have been using Spyware Terminator, but looking for a replacement because it is now bundled with a tool bar and two other apps. If you do not allow the installation of the bundle it nags you with every update. So your suggestions for alternatives is appreciated.

I found a good site for security info: www.wilderssecurity.com

What would you be doing on those sites spinner....looking for a bride? :teehee:

If you get a virus from looking at her online, just think of what you'd get if she was sitting right next to you >_<

:lol::lol: ...nope, in the younger days of the web I spent a lot of time on Lycos and after a while there were some serious assholes involved there, so I joined with a small group of people my age who were tired of it and became involved in a lot of perl/script wars and such.... :rolleyes: ....never did really got rid of all the stuff until quite recently....just sentimental I guess :whistling: ....so I kept up with development for a long time. But now it's all about getting into machines now :unsure: and seeing how much you can screw things up...not my cup of tea as it were. I didn't mind doing something to someone who needed it, :devil: but just pure meanness isn't what we were about and when I walked away from it I didn't look back. :innocent: But I have spent some time on various nameless warez sites and had to place some pretty active stuff in the way in order not to become avictim myself... >_<

I have been impressed with the expertise in this forum so wondering if i could get your help on selecting freeware security software, ie antivirus, antispyware, antimalware, firewall, in the proper combination so they don't conflict.

I am running Win2000.

Your help will be appreciated.

Mozilla Firefox using the NoScript add-on. I don't surf without it...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.