'/NOSAVESETTINGS' vs. '/PORTABLE'

sorcerer

Added: CLI switch '/PORTABLE' to tell the program not to write the file association / autoplay / shell extension registry keys ('/NOSAVESETTINGS' already does it).

Sorry if this Q seems silly, but if '/NOSAVESETTINGS' already does it, what's the point of using '/PORTABLE'?

/PORTABLE means that the settings are stored in an ini file (and no registry settings are written, along with file associations) in the same directory as ImgBurn. /NOSAVESETTINGS saves nothing, like ending a process.

[edit] So that you can use the program on a usb drive and keep all your settings :). [/edit]

Edited by JasonFriday13

• 3 weeks later...
Read the 'ReadMe.txt' file. It might give more info on what each one does.
Boy, I must really be dense. I've read the file and still don't know where to put the command line switches? Do I modify the Windows shortcut to pass these command lines? (I'm trying to run this so it uses an INI file not the Registry).

Thx,

-IP

Boy, I must really be dense. I've read the file and still don't know where to put the command line switches? Do I modify the Windows shortcut to pass these command lines? (I'm trying to run this so it uses an INI file not the Registry).

Yes, it should be similiar to:

"C:\Program Files\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /PORTABLE /SETTINGS "C:\Program Files\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.ini"

Notice that there are spaces between each argument.

/PORTABLE means that the settings are stored in an ini file (and no registry settings are written, along with file associations) in the same directory as ImgBurn. /NOSAVESETTINGS saves nothing, like ending a process.

As usual I'm also a bit confused by this! I start ImgBurn manually and adjust all settings to my liking which are saved to the registry when I close the program. Now when I start it with /portable nothing special happens. I either gotta manually place the file imgburn.ini in the dir or use /portable with /savesettings "chetwood.ini". In both cases however ImgBurn does NOT use the settings I adjusted in the GUI before but it's default settings.

Please correct me if I'm missing something but the only way to get a separate ini file with my preferred settings is to start ImgBurn /portable /savesettings "chetwood.ini" and then manually adjust the settings in this ini file?!

Speaking of batches, two other suggestions come to mind:

• how about a switch to disable the splash screen (in batch mode only)
  • /LAYERBREAK AUTO would select the first excellent or very good position it finds and skip adding one if there are none

Correct, if the file doesn't exist then it can't load the settings from it. The ones from the registry are then used and the ini is created on shutdown with those settings in it.

The splash screen is ONLY on the screen when the forms and other stuff vital to program are being loaded. It's not there to slow down the loading by any preset annoying amount of time. Just live with it cus I'm not going to make it optional. Besides, the settings are loaded whilst it's on the screen so it really wouldn't help anyway (and no I'm not going to add yet more code to just check that one setting).

The /portable one really just stops the shell extension stuff from being written to the registry whilst still allowing the settings to get saved.

If you're not running it from a usb stick that you take around everywhere with you, why go to so much trouble?!

On your own PC at home, just let it do it's thing.

Thanks for clearing up the splash screen issue, what about /LAYERBREAK AUTO then?

If you're not running it from a usb stick that you take around everywhere with you, why go to so much trouble?!

I AM running it from an USB stick but for testing purposes I tried the parameters on my home PC first. Using

imgburn /settings "C:\test.ini"

without the 'save' did the trick. Thx!

Edited by Chetwood

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.