Disc (global) tags not saved in cue file

r0lZ

I've just discovered your new version 2.4.0.0, and I'm very impressed. I'm glad ImgBurn can now burn audio CDs. That's great!

However, I think I've found a bug in Create CD Cue File. Here is what I did:

I've successfully imported several tracks from the same CD, in FLAC format. Then I have selected the Disc icon, and enabled CD-TEXT -> Tag. (There is a little problem here, as the title and performers fields are inverted, but I guess it's because the tags are wrong, as I have not this problem with other CDs.) Then, I have saved the cue file on disc, and viewed it in a text editor. The global CD title and performer fields are not in the file!

Note that if I click Custom after having selected the Tag radiobutton, the title and performer fields are correctly saved.

Ah think I see now, if you don't have the tracks themselves set as 'Tag' too then it might not work properly.

Right. I did the test again. and if I select Tag for at least one track, it works fine.

There is something strange with the tags of those FLAC files. ImgBurn finds the global disc title and performers, but when I select a specific track, the tags are empty. But even if I leave them empty and the Tag radiobutton ticked, the global tags are correctly written to the file.

Similarly, if I define the performer of a track with the Custom controls, and then define the global title via the tags, the track performer is lost. So, indeed, only the last selected option is taken into account. :-(

To overcome this limitation, you have to select whatever you want, but when you have the right info, you have to select the Custom option. It doesn't change the contents of the boxes. If you apply the same procedure for all fields of interest, they are saved correctly. Obviously, there is something to improve here.

BTW, when all tracks of a CD are performed by the same artist, is it necessary to define the performer for all tracks, or is it sufficient to define only the performer at the disc level?

I know that it is easy to define the same performer for all tracks by modifying the session info, but if you click after on the File Name or Tag option for a specific track, the performer disappears. Maybe you could change that, and leave the performer info unchanged if you cannot find it in the filename or tags.

If the names are going into the cue file then they should really also be in the GUI. What happens if you change to a track that you say doesn't show any cd-text info and yet has a tag (with the tag radio button selected) and click the 'Refresh' button on the right?

As for defining at disc rather than track level... that's totally down to you! I don't think there's a right or wrong way of doing it. Each to their own and all that.

At code level, I won't/don't use the disc performer for the tracks if the tracks don't have their own specified.

It would be a bit of a mess if I started leaving things that don't really belong with the selected CD-TEXT method. As such, all you can do is tag the files properly or go from 'Tag' to 'Custom'.

Changing to 'Custom' doesn't wipe out whatever's already in there (or at least I don't think it does!).

If the names are going into the cue file then they should really also be in the GUI. What happens if you change to a track that you say doesn't show any cd-text info and yet has a tag (with the tag radio button selected) and click the 'Refresh' button on the right?

Sorry, I was not clear enough. The tags are missing, or empty. Or perhaps ImgBurn cannot find them. The curious thing is that it can find the global disc title and performer, but not the track names and performers. Anyway, clicking refresh doesn't change anything. The GUI is still empty for any track. In this case, nothing is written to the cue file. That's normal, of course.

At code level, I won't/don't use the disc performer for the tracks if the tracks don't have their own specified.
Yes, but if the performer has been entered by another method, for example manually at the session level, and then you click on the Tag button for a specific track and the tags are not defined, or are empty - I don't know - the field is emptied. IMO, it should remain as it was before. I suppose that the tags are defined in the FLAC files, but are empty. ImgBurn can retrieve them, and does its job. But I continue to think that it should never replace something by an empty string.

It would be a bit of a mess if I started leaving things that don't really belong with the selected CD-TEXT method. As such, all you can do is tag the files properly or go from 'Tag' to 'Custom'.

Changing to 'Custom' doesn't wipe out whatever's already in there (or at least I don't think it does!).

I agree. I have just modified my previous post to recommend this method, before reading your answer. It's the best solution. But there is still a bug, as it is currently not possible to mix several methods at different levels.

BTW, I have used EAC to rip the CD, using the FLAC official compressor on the fly, from EAC. It's strange that the tags are empty.

If you're sure the files have tags, perhaps you could give me a section of it so I can tweak the code that reads them.

If that dodgy file was the only one in the list, the 'Disc' level CD-TEXT should be empty too when set to 'Tag'. (As mentioned before, the 'Disc' level info is read from the first file in the list that contains any sort of tag)

I'm not sure the files have tags, as I don't have any tags editor to verify them. But I'm sure that ImgBurn can find the global tags, but not the other ones, or it finds empty strings only. And since all files have been created using the same method, during the same EAC session, they have probably similar tags.

I will see tomorrow if I can send you a small file as an example. But I have to sleep now!

I have modified slightly the arguments passed to FLAC from EAC. I use now:

-8 -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" %s

Now, ImgBurn can successfully find and use the global and track titles and performers. :)

For an unknown reason, in the ripped CD I used to do my previous tests, a single file was tagged with something that ImgBurn has been able to use. I still doesn't understand why, but anyway, it's not a bug in ImgBurn, and it's not to report that problem that I have started this thread.

So, the only problem that is really present in ImgBurn is the bug reported in my first post. It should be possible to define some fields with the tag option, others with the filename option, and others manually. For example, if a title tag is wrong and you decide to edit it manually, currently, when you save the cue, all tags are lost except the one you have edited. Since most ppl will not verify if the tags are still present in the cue before burning the CD, it's a major glitch.

As we know, if, after having defined a field via the tag or filename method, the user switches to the manual method, the string is preserved and correctly saved, I suppose that it is easy for you to fix this bug by simulating exactly that when the user presses OK.

Thanks for looking into it!

I'm still really not following your logic here, sorry!

For example, if a title tag is wrong and you decide to edit it manually, currently, when you save the cue, all tags are lost except the one you have edited.

The only way you can 'Edit' them is to switch to 'Custom' and you've just said that works fine.

As we know, if, after having defined a field via the tag or filename method, the user switches to the manual method, the string is preserved and correctly saved

The only one I've spotted a problem with is the 'Disc' one - which has been mentioned above.

When you click 'OK' to create the CUE file the Disc's CD-TEXT values get cleared (with the intention of filling them again with the most recent data), but they're only filled out if all the other files are set to 'Tag' too.

I've fixed that now so hopefully it's all ok.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.