Help! acmStreamConvert error when writing audio CD!

VKondakoff

Hi!

Please, let me understand, what may be wrong: I'm creating a simple test CD CUE file, trying to write an audio CD with one song: "c:\MP3\ABC\1983 - BEAUTY STAB\05 - Beauty Stab.mp3".

Here is the CD CUE ("c:\MP3\ABC\1983 - BEAUTY STAB\05 - Beauty Stab.cue"):

FILE "05 - Beauty Stab.mp3" MP3
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
INDEX 01 00:00:00

And here is the log:

I 02:32:23 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!
I 02:32:23 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
I 02:32:23 Total Physical Memory: 1 048 044 KB  -  Available: 648 680 KB
I 02:32:24 Initialising SPTI...
I 02:32:24 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 02:32:24 Found 1 DVD±RW!
I 02:34:25 Operation Started!
I 02:34:25 Source File: C:\MP3\ABC\1983 - BEAUTY STAB\05 - Beauty Stab.cue
I 02:34:25 Source File Sectors: 9 500 (AUDIO/2352)
I 02:34:25 Source File Size: 22 344 000 bytes
I 02:34:25 Source File File System(s): None
I 02:34:25 Destination Device: [0:0:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A 1.04 (E:) (ATA)
I 02:34:25 Destination Media Type: CD-RW (Disc ID: 97m10s00f) (Speeds: 10x)
I 02:34:25 Destination Media Sectors: 359 847
I 02:34:25 Write Mode: CD
I 02:34:25 Write Type: SAO
I 02:34:25 Write Speed: MAX
I 02:34:25 Test Mode: No
I 02:34:25 OPC: Yes
I 02:34:25 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 02:34:34 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
E 02:34:34 acmStreamConvert Failed! - Reason: Device handle is invalid.
E 02:34:34 File Name: 05 - Beauty Stab.mp3
I 02:34:38 Synchronising Cache...
W 02:34:51 User opted to skip the 'Close Track/Session/Disc' functions.
E 02:34:51 Failed to Write Image!
E 02:34:51 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:26
I 02:34:51 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

What is wrong?

The standard XP filters cannot handle v2.4 ID3 tags so ensure you're not using those in your files.

That's it! I'm using ID3 v2.4 for tagging my mp3 collection (MP3Tag, Foobar2000). Is it possible to specify command-line decoder for decoding mp3-files to wav in IB (say, Lame?)? If there is a chance to see an updated IB version which will support ID3 v2.4 tags (maybe, beta?) or should I try to 'enable' ID3 v2.4 tags support in WinXP?

And there are two related request/suggestions:

1) The default file name for newly created CD CUE file is the name of the first audio track. Don't you think it's a good idea to set default CD CUE file name to Disc (or Session) names CD text if they are used?

2) Right now. when I'm burning an audio CD, I'm forced to save the CD CUE file and delete it after successful burning. Don't you think it is a good ides to implement some kind of quick 'on a fly' burning without saving/delete the CD CUE file manually? I notice the 'Quick OK' button in CD CUE creation dialog. Is this for smth like this?

Thank you!

Does 2.4 really add anything that you couldn't handle in 2.3?! I'd have expected 2.3 to still be the default in programs since 2.4 doesn't work. No you can't specify a command line decoder, ImgBurn uses DirectShow and the filters are inserted automatically via some 'Intelligent Connect' thing that Windows handles. You'd have to check the 'Merit' levels of your filters to make Windows use the right ones.

1. I'm pretty sure it already does what you've just said. If you click 'Tag' on the Disc item then the filename is taken from the CD-TEXT fields (Basically making it '[Performer] - [Album Title].cue')

2. There's no real support for doing what you're doing (i.e. there's no 'Burn an Audio CD mode'). All that was added to ImgBurn was the ability to burn CUE files - so there NEEDs to be one even if it's just shoved in the 'temp' folder.

I knew it wasn't an ideal way of doing things, but it was that or nothing.

The Quick OK button just tells the program to make up the filename itself based on what it would use as a default name in the 'Save As' box anyway. You never get to see the actual Save As box.

• 2 weeks later...

"The standard XP filters cannot handle v2.4 ID3 tags so ensure you're not using those in your files."

I had that same issue. IB wrote the first six tracks of an album then choked on the 7th (log entry: "acmStreamConvert Failed! - Reason: Device handle is invalid"). I wasted 4 blanks trying various things, none of which worked. I tried to disable CD-TEXT entirely, curiously IB still failed at track 7; another blank wasted, fortunately they're cheap.

Then I tried InfraRecorder. It worked beautifully.

Unless I missed something, Lighting UK!'s warning to "ensure you're not using [v2.4 ID3 tags] in your files" is only valid insofar as one performs / has control over the encoding. There appears to be no way to tell whether mp3s might have been encoded using v2.4, short of trying and failing and wasting a blank.

I was looking forward to using 2.4.0.0, but the bottom line is that it simply can't be used to burn audio CDs unless one has knowledge of how the files were encoded. This is a major bug. It should have been a showstopper. I'm afraid I will stick with InfraRecorder until this issue is resolved.

F

I'd be interested to hear where the files are coming from that contain v2.4 tags.

All the testing I'd done was with my own stuff that I'd encoded rather than downloads. Any tagging program will tell you the version of the ID3 tags used in the file. I just happen to use 'ID3-TagIt' because it's the first free one I came across and it looked pretty decent.

The ACM issue was a late bug introduced during a tidy up / bit of optimisation at the VERY end of the beta cycle. What can I say... these things happen.

If MS would update their filter to deal with v2.4 tags then this wouldn't ever have been a problem, but it seems even the newest filters in Vista still can't handle them. Shame really.

Thank you for your response. I installed ID3-TagIT (impressive program, by the way) and the plot thickens.

The tags in all the album tracks including the offending track (#7) are v2.3, not v2.4. However, track #7 contains a picture, and a comment, which the other tracks don't contain.

- Attempts to display the picture cause ID3-TagIT to crash (see attached screen shot).

- The comment is: "00000FB8 00001496 00003BF1 000048A6 0003F7E5 00007547 00008000 00008000 00038287 0002BF4E".

Tomorrow I'll try to remove the picture and the comment and try again burning a CD with IB to see if this makes the issue go away; I'll let you know. Meanwhile, I'm curious as to what's going on but this goes beyond my sketchy knowledge of mp3s so your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

F

post-10855-1204440408_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested to hear where the files are coming from that contain v2.4 tags.

All the testing I'd done was with my own stuff that I'd encoded rather than downloads. Any tagging program will tell you the version of the ID3 tags used in the file. I just happen to use 'ID3-TagIt' because it's the first free one I came across and it looked pretty decent.

The ACM issue was a late bug introduced during a tidy up / bit of optimisation at the VERY end of the beta cycle. What can I say... these things happen.

If MS would update their filter to deal with v2.4 tags then this wouldn't ever have been a problem, but it seems even the newest filters in Vista still can't handle them. Shame really.

i use foobar as my player and i edit tags with it as well...and by default its set to use id3 2.4...and i think alot of other programs are set to that as well...not sure what 2.4 has that 2.3 doesnt have...nothing i need lol

from wikipedia:

Software adoption for ID3v2.4 has come around in the last couple of years; however, the majority of files still use older versions of ID3v2 and there are very few applications that fully support all of the frame types enumerated in the ID3v2 specification.

There's nothing much else for me to say?!

The DirectShow stuff is out of my hands.

All I basically do is tell it the source file, tell it the 2 filters I need it to go through (and end with) and it's supposed to fill in the blanks.

If it doesn't think it can do that then it errors out and my program then falls back to the ACM code - which was indeed broken.

If you happen to still have a copy of the file that didn't work, try opening it in GraphEdit and see what it says.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.