US Sci-Fi Channel to air new Doctor Who

digidragon

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know? I can actually see Ben Kingsley as Davros. Though as I've said I'd much rather they'd stick with Terry Molloy, Kingsley already has the classic Davros profile going right in, without the same amount of make up necessary.

Well, the finale must take place before Remembrance Of The Daleks then. As it's classic Davros, with some new head tubes. :) And not head in a Dalek shell Emperor Davros. Now that I think about it, based on that latest trailer, the finale must take place after Revelation Of The Daleks. Because it appears Davros had his blown off hand replaced with a mechanical one.

I had to laugh this afternoon. I don't know if you have them in the UK and other countries but in the US we have a sub-genre of TV shows I call the judge shows. Shows involving some judge judicating cases between litigants who agree to appear on the show rather than in a court of law. The People's Court is probably the best known of these shows, as it is still on the air here in the US. Anyway, I had the TV on a random station in the background while I was working on various projects on the PC. The show was Judge Joe Brown when a litigant appeared named Sarah Jane Smith! :lol: Actually, as it turned out, her name as it appeared on screen later on was SarahJane Smith.

Yes, we get all the crap types of TV shows here - Judge Judy is on quite often unfortunately...

Anyway, back to more quality TV... I don't think new Who gets too bogged down with continuity. But apparently there are loads of references to both classic Who and early new Who in the finale, so I expect we'll find out how and why Davros survived.

Personally I can't wait! And the second part of the finale is 60 minutes, rather than 45, so sci fi will have to allocate a bigger timeslot to it. Or cut it to shreads... But, of course, you'll be seeing the finale episodes uncut and without ads! ;)

Sci-Fi already does edits for time and content. Dalek had the scene removed where the Doctor produces that alien musical instrument for Van Staten. Then, later on, they blanked out Van Statten's "goddamn it" into just "damn it."

I can't see Sci-Fi giving more time to a non-Christmas themed episode. For those, they devote 90 minutes, with ads. But, regular episodes get just 60 minutes, with ads.

I appreciate getting the episodes because as you say they're complete and have no ads. Plus, I get to see the credits! In the US, they're scrunched up to the side of the screen while they advertise what happens on next week's Doctor Who. So, if I want to see who played a particular part, I must check TV.COM.

Hell, Sci-Fi has even done really dumb things like remove the title and writer cards from episodes. The Master three part arc had no titles or writer credits whatsoever.

What do you know! Big Finish finally took one of my ideas! :)

I once wrote them a while back saying they should do audio adaptations of the two Dalek stage plays, Curse Of The Daleks and The Seven Keys To Doomsday. They went and one upped my idea by also including an adaptation of The Ultimate Adventure!

Now, if they'd just accept my other idea and do an adaptation of The Trial Of Davros for charity...

I wouldn't be surprised if Sci-Fi still trims the episode to get in more commercials. For instance, usually, a 2 hour block is more than fine to fit a movie in, but, they still chop out bits of it to fit in more and more commercials.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, whatever you thought of the final episode (it was a bit patchy IMO) it was an outstanding success with the public. It had the highest ratings of the week (10.57 million viewers) and an Appreciation Index of 91. Minority programmes often get high AI indexes, but to get a rating of 91 with 10.57 million viewers is unheard of.

TV.com caught me out as well db, giving the impression Midnight was the last one...

Midnight looked like a 'bottle' episode to cut costs so they could spend more on the last 3. It was ok, but a lot of shouting.

A Dr. Lite episode next week it seems...

I apparently liked Midnight more than others. I thought it was good old fashioned bump in the night story with influences from the Twilight Zone's The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street. I also liked how, for once, the Doctor was powerless to do anything. And it took just an unknown person to save the day. After all, how many times has the nameless, faceless person saved the day? Far more than we can ever count. The ironic thing was the mob mentality turned out to be right. That the right decision was to toss Ms. Whatshername out of the car and into the extonic light.

Another aspect I liked was the apparent lower budget (The story was mostly contained to one set.) that reminded me of The Edge Of Destruction, a story that took place entirely on TARDIS sets. And, The Edge Of Destruction is one of my favorite "lesser known" stories.

Well, whatever you thought of the final episode (it was a bit patchy IMO)

I haven't seen it all yet, but from what I have seen, I'm kind of on both sides of the fence. On one hand, I think there was a too many cooks situation. Davies tried to stuff in too many characters at once for the script to handle. Strangely enough, though, on the other hand, I find myself surprised at how well the script does work given that I think too many characters are in the thick of it for the story to handle.

Plus, I find myself asking a few questions. If the Daleks did a massive appearance on Earth, how come Van Staten doesn't know what a Dalek is in 2010 or 2012, whichever year that story took place in. If Davros was in the Time War, was he a Davros like we see him in this finale or as the Emperor Davros. I know this new series doesn't appear to be trying to keep continuity with the old series, but there is a problem with how Davros looks. Especially since Davros has a robotic hand, which would explain how he lost a hand in Revelation Of The Daleks.

Okay, now that I've seen the two parter, I more than before stand by my initial impressions.

It tries to work in too much yet somehow works as a whole. I think Davros was sadly underused, merely as a Dalek pet. Because, I have to ask: if Davros used his own cells to make new Daleks, why didn't he make them Davros loyal like the white and gold Daleks from Revelation Of The Daleks and Remembrance?

Lot of bitching about the regeneration that wasn't, but could you see a new Dr being lined up with no sniff of it in the tabloids or on the net?

Yeah davros looked cool but lacked the menace of old and you'd think he'd have loyalty even if it was a bomb planted up the red one - just in case.

It would have been interesting if...

Donna was Romana - cos the last thing Tom Baker said to her was that she was the most "noble" time lord of all (Donna Noble - geddit?) Or the Master cos of the ring. Very suspicious about that ring - they even had light glinting off it in her last scene. I'm sure it, and her, will come back next year. And she kept saying she was just a temp.

DT now off playing Hamlet with Capt. Picard at Stratford-Upon-Avon which isn't far from me. I would go and see it but the tickets are changing hands for over

I'd use it to call the BBC and claim I'm the representative of the Dalek union and no more Daleks will do a single bit of work for the Beeb until my, excuse me, our demands are met. Our demands being, of course, money for more Dalek voice changers.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.