Disc Erase

Monty

I am using a DVDRW and ImgBurn to copy locally made DVD's.

When I load a DVD+RW into the draw and ask ImgBurn to write the previously saved image file to disc it says that is has to format the disc. It then does a complete erase (not a quick one) before it does anything else.

All the DVD's that are used are LÖGIK 1 - 4x virgin media (i.e. brand new and never used). Is this normal beahviour as it does take a lot longer than say Nero to burn a DVD by this method.

Cheers.

Shaun

DVD+RW MUST be formatted before the drive will accept any 'Write' commands.

If you look in the info panel on the right you'll see a bit that says 'Formatted:'.

If that doesn't read 'Yes', ImgBurn will (by default) do a full format. When it's done, it won't have to do it again so it's a one time only thing.

If however another program messes up the 'Formatted' status (done by starting off a new 'format' and then terminating it early), you'll have to start all over again.

ImgBurn will never do this but Nero can/does, leaving the disc's formatted status in limbo.

I chose to NOT leave the formatted status in limbo so I make it run all the way though. Each to their own and all that.

DVD+RW MUST be formatted before the drive will accept any 'Write' commands....

OK, that's what I needed to know.

Thanks for the info.

Does a Format need a full erase on a blank virgin disc?

Shaun

No, they're just erased if non-empty.

Just DVD+RW and BD-RE need to be sent a command to perform a 'format' before you can write to them. After that they support 'direct overwrite' when it doesn't matter if the already have data on them, you can just go ahead and write straight over the top of it without any need to erase it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.