Change Book Type Broken Under Vista x64 SP1?

metadff

It seems that after updating Vista x64 to SP1 it may have broken the "Change Book Type" function in Imgburn.

Before updating Vista x64 to SP1 I was able to change the book type for my Samsung drive.

After installing SP1 when I select the "Change For:" it gives the following message under "Current Setting:"

Unknown (FAILED!)

Reason: Incorrect function.

incorrectfunctionjs3.jpg

This is the case for both DVD+R DL and DVD+R Media, media for which I used to be able to change the book type.

Drive Type:

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SB01 (ATA)

Log file:

I 17:26:33 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 17:26:33 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 17:26:33 Total Physical Memory: 6,289,596 KB - Available: 4,999,748 KB

I 17:26:33 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:26:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:26:34 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

I have this exact same issue with nearly the exact same set-up. I'm running x64 Vista Ultimate SP1 and have a Samsung 203N DVD writer. Except this is a fairly new build and I can't remember if ever attempted to bit set before installing SP1 or not... I can't remember doing so. So I can't verify whether it worked before SP1 or not, I just know it doesn't work now.

Hey there, I had this issue too, and saw the message that it could be the drivers, and that was the solution for me.

System:

Samsung SH-S203N burner

P35 system board with ICH9R running in AHCI-mode.

History: This machine was working fine with Vista x64 SP1, but I had a HDD crash, so I had to reinstall. After the new install (incl. SP1) I got this issue too. Found this thread and reinstalled the sata controller driver (with Intel matrix Storage Manager) and now it works fine. So to those that have the problem, try to reinstall the latest driver for your sata chipset. Hope this helps!

Hey there, I had this issue too, and saw the message that it could be the drivers, and that was the solution for me.

System:

Samsung SH-S203N burner

P35 system board with ICH9R running in AHCI-mode.

History: This machine was working fine with Vista x64 SP1, but I had a HDD crash, so I had to reinstall. After the new install (incl. SP1) I got this issue too. Found this thread and reinstalled the sata controller driver (with Intel matrix Storage Manager) and now it works fine. So to those that have the problem, try to reinstall the latest driver for your sata chipset. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I actually already had the latest drivers listed on the ASUS site for my board, but after reading your post I went and downloaded the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (I have an X38 based board). Installing that seems to have fixed the issue. IMG Burn won't show me the current setting (it says "No way to query current setting"), but choosing a setting and then click the Change button results in a Success message... so hopefully it is making the changes correctly.

IMG Burn won't show me the current setting (it says "No way to query current setting"), but choosing a setting and then click the Change button results in a Success message... so hopefully it is making the changes correctly.

Auto 'Change Book Type' (in Tools/Settings/Write tab) is enabled by default, so if you didn't mess with it ImgBurn will already booktype your discs before burning :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd chime in here and report my problem as well. I set up a Vista x64 build specifically for low level work like Folding@Home and DVD backup... ImgBurn just threw me this same curve, in exactly the same screenshot as posted by OP.

I didn't update to SP1 though, I installed it as SP1 with a whole ton of vLiting (it's installed on a 10gb HDD with 7.1gb free ATM - pathetic for just having Windows installed, none the less).

No third party software is installed other than SpeedFan (to shut up that dang front fan), WinRAR, Folding@Home, ImgBurn, and good ol' DVD Decrypter.

Think I might check through the drivers, maybe switch off AHCI mode, see if it helps any. The burner is a SATA drive (ironically, which I've had more trouble with in Vista than on XP) on an ICH9 southbridge, the boot drive is ATA on a secondary integrated PCI-E controller, and the drive with the burn data is SATA as well.

edit: Swapped the drive over to that secondary PCI-E ATA controller and rebooted (SATA = plug and pray, more like...), and now bitsetting works fine. Evidently it's a problem or conflict with the Intel AHCI drivers. May want to look into that?

post-5851-1224293215_thumb.png

Edited by Falcon

That's certainly an unusual response I wasn't expecting... o_O

So whose is it? Wouldn't you think that a goofy error like that may be causing other problems as well?

I mean, I'm the first to tell anyone how much garbage Vista is, but I wouldn't expect a developer to say "oh, a problem with my program using all system default drivers and programs? that's not my problem"...

*confuzed*

In other words it is their driver at fault [edit] or your sata port is from a different manufacturer to the other (therefore it's hardware fault), why should L_UK fix their issue. Do you fix your neighbours car for free when it breaks or has a service everytime ?

You can argue as much as you like that your system is not at fault but default drivers written for operating system install[default] do not guarantee they are working 100% as they should.

L_UK does not make up the commands the program issues/sends to the drive, they are all documented and are part of a standard SET that do certain things when issued, search google on mmc/scsi/ide/sata etc.

How your Ide/Sata/Motherboard/Chipset/Controller/Driver/Operating System/Drive receives these commands and acts upon them is down to your Ide/Sata/etc commands often get blocked by screwed up systems/ dodgy chipsets/ buggy chipsets/drivers/ rubbish bios settings/ incorrectly set up bios/ too many variables.

Samsung drives are odd anyways @ reporting book type.

Well it's obviously not the command's fault, so LUK's doing fine on that part. However, LUK is also responsible for interfacing with the drivers, something that seems to be at fault in the reason why it works under one controller but not under the other. I think it would be in LUK's best interest to investigate the cause of the hangup instead of living in dreamland where Microsoft actually cares about the drivers they bundle with the OS, and fixing bugs or limitations in their drivers. I've always thought of ImgBurn as the de-facto standard of "if it doesn't work with ImgBurn, it doesn't work at all"... and I'd hate to think that there are limitations within the program for the sole reason of the developer choosing not to fix a problem.

But maybe that's just me. =\

Edited by Falcon

Falcon, if the drivers simply don't like the command then there's nothing I can do about it.

It's quite common for AHCI/RAID drivers to simply ignore commands that aren't meant for HDD's.

Not long ago there were several cases of them blocking the command used to erase a disc, simply because it doesn't apply to hdds.

There's no way around it except to hope that one day whoever makes the drivers starts allowing said command.

I'm sorry but it's out of my hands.

Oh and I don't interface with drivers, the SPTI code is higher level than that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.