Write Error DL DVD brawl

g00gy

Did you 'up' the write speed for any reason?

If 2.4x works and 4x won't, stick to 2.4x!

No reason really, I just try different combinations. It's no difference for me if I use 2.4x or 4x; still the same problem. I just tried a new burn (2.4x) and here's the log from that one (*sigh*):

I 17:19:05 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 17:19:05 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 17:19:05 Total Physical Memory: 523 760 KB - Available: 227 308 KB

I 17:19:05 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:19:05 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:19:05 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD

Yeah, but the whole thing seems strange to me... they can't be THAT bad, right? I remember ordering normal DVD-R:s a couple of years ago, called 'Budget', now they were just C-R-A-P, but these Verbatim-India-ones can almost compete with'em! Hmmm, I'm not fully convinced, but I'll try to get some Singapores. Any good internet-store to buy them from, preferably in Europe?

Thanks for the help guys; hope it my discs that is the problem.

The Indian ones are made by a manufactuirer called Moser Baer India, whose other discs under their own and various other brands are just plain crap. Supposedly, they are made to MCC standards, but many posters we have seen have complained about them. Try to get the Singaporean ones.

Regards

And no matter what you think about it not being media related, untill you get some decent media instead of Ricoh rubbish you will see a hit and miss effect with your current choice in media, thats what they do.

Thanks for the suggestions, but can anyone come up with the reason why subsequent burns always work using Ricoh media (even though the first one is a coaster)? This is a repeatable process. I have zero failures with the subsequent writes. Does ImgBurn somehow recalibrate the laser power for the subsequent burns?

@ majestic

Is that burner in a HP, DELL, FUJITSU-SIEMENS computer? If so - see if you can find a later firmware on the computer manufacturers web page. Based on the current firmware - it looks as an OEM Nec.

@ majestic

Is that burner in a HP, DELL, FUJITSU-SIEMENS computer? If so - see if you can find a later firmware on the computer manufacturers web page. Based on the current firmware - it looks as an OEM Nec.

Cynthia,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the computer industry and that was one of first thing that I checked that I had the latest. To answer your question, it is a Dell. The latest available firmware is 103D from Dell's website.

Any other ideas why subsequent burns would work?

@ majestic

I 21:49:00 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I think the clue is in this page

http://support.necam.com/optical/downloads/6650Amedia.pdf

Even if this is the firmware support for the Nec version - I doubt that the OEM version is different. It looks to me as there is no support for that media in the firmware - so instead it is using a generic writing strategy - that works sometimes and other times not.

It's also a device that based on 'failed burn' posts seems like a less good writer. Perhaps the only good solution is to replace it with a writer that likes your media. I also doubt that there will be any new firmware releases for your current model, as it has been a long time since they released any. :(

It's a strange problem indeed as I have burnt the same media for over a year without any issues. The only thing I can think of is that the manufacturer changed part of the process despite having the same media code. Thanks for the help.

The only thing I can think of is that the manufacturer changed part of the process despite having the same media code.

I think this must be the case. I've been burning Verbatim DL's since early 2006 on my crappy Matshita drive and NEVER had a coaster (with other types of media literally every other disc has been a coaster). I've always sworn by these discs.

I just got a new stack of Verbatim DLs that ARE made in Singapore (packaging is different but still MKM-001-00), and I've had 2/2 coasters so far. And I'm afraid to try another. I'm disappointed.

The only thing I can think of is that the manufacturer changed part of the process despite having the same media code.

I think this must be the case. I've been burning Verbatim DL's since early 2006 on my crappy Matshita drive and NEVER had a coaster (with other types of media literally every other disc has been a coaster). I've always sworn by these discs.

I just got a new stack of Verbatim DLs that ARE made in Singapore (packaging is different but still MKM-001-00), and I've had 2/2 coasters so far. And I'm afraid to try another. I'm disappointed.

Return them

Return them

Not sure if you mean "return the cake to the store for another" or "Verbatim offers a lifetime guarantee so send the defectives to them for replacement"?

This latter is something I've never tried but I wonder who here has, and how easy-or-difficult it might be to deal w/Verbatim. It's occurred to me to just set-aside all coasters and then load 'em up and send to Verbatim but I've never done it... :o

Returning them is the next step. Maybe I can at least get my money back, but of course I'd much rather have discs that work. I have the feeling that if these aren't working then whatever they send me as a replacement won't work either. Like I said the packaging is new. Used to look like this:

17-130-008-04.jpg

Now looks like this:

17-130-029-04.jpg

Verbatim's warranty info on the packaging has a 800 number that I plan on calling. Probably wont get an answer until after the weekend, but I normally prefer to deal with the manufacturer in the event of a product defect. If I don't get anywhere then I'll try to return them to the place I bought them from. And like I said I've NEVER had a problem with an MKM-003-00 or MKM-001-00 disc before, even with my crap drive.

To me it looks as it's not just the package that is new. The first one seems only be able to write at max 6x, while the new ones can write up to 8x.

oh that's only because those were the only pics I could find, should have mentioned that. The new ones I bought have the same packaging of the 2nd (blue/purple) but can only write 6x (says this on the packaging, too).

I returned 70 of them in the same style packaging but mine where packs of 10's and only 1 failed from 8 but write quality was not up to the high standard set by previous verbatim 2.4 MIS.

They have changed something whether they know it or not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.