Verify after Burn from alternate drive?

laserfan

I've always thought that (if it were technically feasible) that it would be nice to include among the "Verify" options to cycle the disk to another drive. That is, after burning is complete, instead of cycling the disk out-and-back-in and continuing w/Verify, to present the disk and allow the "Verify" stage to complete from a second drive.

Part of this is the "anal" in me that wants to preserve the (more expensive) burner drive that's gotten heated-up over the burn cycle, and is getting worn-down by all the activity. Another part says "It'd be nice to actually verify that the burned disc is readable on a 2nd drive" in the same operation w/Burn.

I did a search and couldn't find any discussion of this before... :innocent:

You can already do this.

Don't delete the image after the write and skip the verify option.

When the disc is done in the 'Write' mode - move it to your other device and use the 'Verify' mode and select the image you used for the 'Write' operation, to do the verify.

This should expand the lifetime of your expensive writer.

:)

That is a very good idea indeed. But, as a replier said, that can also be done manually, using the method which he described.

Anyway, it would be nice to incorporate the choice of a drive in the "verify-after-burn" phase. I would not consider it a high priority request though. Add it when you get more time for lower priority work on ImgBurn.

You can already do this. Don't delete the image after the write and skip the verify option. When the disc is done in the 'Write' mode - move it to your other device and use the 'Verify' mode and select the image you used for the 'Write' operation, to do the verify.
Thanks Cynthia, I am relatively new to ImgBurn and didn't know one could do this!

Not sure LUK why you'd say "never" but I am happy w/Cynthia's suggestion. :thumbup:

Because it's already possible via Verify mode.
Sure, of course, now that I see how easy Verify mode is to use, I completely agree. And I also found the "eject tray after Write" checkbox in Device options as well...how easy is that. Burn, eject, replace, verify...I've got it.

I think it will take me a little while to get the hang of the extraordinarily rich ImgBurn feature set!

Today I realized ImgBurn only allows switching of drives for Verify mode when burning from an image file, not from miscellaneous files that one might be burning to a disc.

Is there a way to do this i.e. that ImgBurn would remember the files I've just burned and verify the disk against the hdd originals?

You can do it, if you are prepared to ignore the invevitable file system date and time errors in certain sectors (16/32/261/269 and some others).

Sorry, but...what are you talking about? "Inevitable errors"? Do tell, or give a link????

Well, think of the DVD as 2 bits - the 1st 500 or so sectors devoted to the filesystem where files are kept with their info and dates and times, and the 2nd being the actual files themselves (if you open an ISO in ISOBuster, you'll see exactly what I mean).

As you observed, you can only verify against an image file (eg ISO). So, if your verify in build mode fails on one drive but you want to try again on another (or the same drive), you can build an ISO with the files. This ISO will have different date and time info in it for file creation etc. So when you verify, you will get miscompares in the filesystem area in certain sectors I have mentioned. But the data (2nd bit) may verify OK.

Of course, doing a DOS fc/b on the files might be easier.

Regards

Of course, doing a DOS fc/b on the files might be easier.

And even more easier IMVHO, or better say the easiest way, would be if ImgBurn would support the option to choose an available optical drive to perform the verification after the writing phase.

Edited by Bosanek

...you can only verify against an image file (eg ISO).
Well, yes. I was asking if it was possible to verify miscellaneous files, NOT an image, after a burn. From a 2nd drive. It does a verify now, knowing the list of files & their locations that it just burned. Why not an option to change the "compare from drive X" or something.

I've used WinMerge to do binary compares and it works well enough, but of course one has to load the app and select all the files on the freshly burned disk, then find all the originals of those burned files on the hard disk drives' locations for comparison. Do-able yes, trivial no...

Just a suggestion...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.