can't burn 360 backup

aspen

I've been trying and trying, but I can't for the life of me get this to work. I've just made 3 coasters of Verbatim DVD+R DL, and it would have been 4 if I hadn't tried the internal burner on my other computer, a Macbook. However, the Matshita didn't fail me, fortunately. The PC with the drives listed is an older one. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7N400L1 with an Athlon XP 2600+. I'm running XP SP2.

I've tried to burn it on my old burner, a Pioneer DVR-110D, with no luck. It got a bit past the layer break (~50-60%) and then got an error. I thought it was the burner, as I'd been having it burn coasters of late, but I don't use it very often so I'm not sure how long it's been going on. I don't have a log from the failed burn on the 110D.

Imagine my surprise as my brand new DVR-115D (stock firmware 1.13) also failed. I had just wired it up! Not one to give up, but not wanting to waste expensive discs, I sought out a firmware update. I found the 1.18 firmware and enabled riplock patch, bitsetting, flashing same version, and rpc1 using MediaCodeSpeedEdit. I flashed the new firmware successfully and rebooted. I still wasn't game yet, so I tried a burn on the Matshita on the Macbook. That backup worked, so I decided to have another look at the 115D in the morning.

Fast forward to today. Not wanting a repeat, I defragmented my hard drives, as I read that it may have something to do with failed burns. I also made a new admin account to use for the burn. I logged out of my regular account into the new one for the 115D burn. This burn also failed.

One thing I noticed is the average write speed was a bit lower than the 2.4x I selected, something like 1.3x. Could this be causing the problems? All of the previous burns were also at 2.4x, including the one on the Matshita that ended up working. I've read that the newer Pioneer drives, including the 115D can burn DL at 4x with no ill effect, but I was worried about the faster associated data decay with higher burn rates.

I'm kind of at a loss here. I am beginning to suspect something else may be wrong, but I'm not sure how to tell. I'll post my logs here, hopefully there's something I've missed.

The ImgBurn log follows, and is attached. I hoped that retrying a lot might help at the end, that's why there are so many. :P Wishful thinking, I guess.

I 13:57:17 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 13:57:17 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:57:17 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,052 KB - Available: 724,192 KB

I 13:57:17 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:57:17 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 13:57:18 Failed to check for ImgBurn update!

I 13:57:18 Found 1 CD-RW, 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

post-12126-1210310334_thumb.png

ImgBurn.log

PIONEER_DVD_RW_DVR_115D_1.18_FRIDAY_MAY_09_2008_2_01_PM_MKM_001_00_2.4x.ibg

Edited by aspen

Check your Verbatim discs are from Singapore and not anywhere else.

Try burning at one of the faster supported speeds, the drive might actually prefer it.

The low average speed is low because the retries we going on for so long - during this time the timer is still counting.

All of the Verbatim discs used are DLs made in Singapore. I don't have any more at the moment, but I'll get some more tomorrow or the next day and try burning at 4x and post the results.

• 7 months later...

This "Invalid Address For Write" error surely means that there is something wrong with the disc? Or could it be something else. Because I had this error with a a verbatim +R dual layer disc. I didn't have any problems with any others before this.

There's normally an error before the 'Invalid Address For Write' one and it's that one you should be paying attention to.

I didn't notice that. In my case it was: "Failed to Write Sectors 3427392 - 3427423 - Reason: Write Error"

Ok so the real problem is that your drive had a 'Write Error' when trying to burn to the disc.

Have you also tried the 1.22 firmware?

Try setting the write speed to one of the other available ones, it might actually do a better job.

I 14:01:34 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-001-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

Ok so the real problem is that your drive had a 'Write Error' when trying to burn to the disc.

Have you also tried the 1.22 firmware?

Try setting the write speed to one of the other available ones, it might actually do a better job.

I 14:01:34 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-001-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

I suppose the answer is for me. (Since I had a write error and not aspen). I have a plextor px-810sa. And since last time I succesfully burned another dual layer verbatim, so I guess that particular disc was faulty or might have been sratched/stained accidentally.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.