Overclocking

zacoz

Well Chewy, you got me thinking that I could do better, so after a little research courtesy of our friend Google, I've now gone from 12% overclock to 21% :D , although memory left around normal by changing the ratio. No increase in voltages for now as I only have stock standard heatsink/fan along with a fairly ordinary case fan. Appears stable at present - unlike when I tried 25%.

Seen some comments regarding keeping the HT multiplier & frequency at or under normal, but need to do more reading on what & why.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition ? 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405

Report Type Report Wizard

Computer ZARDOZ (Dad's PC)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)

Date 2006-01-23

Time 13:23

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 3400+

CPU Alias Newcastle S754

CPU Stepping DH-CG

CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+

CPUID Revision 00000FC0h

CPU Speed:

CPU Clock 2420.04 MHz

CPU Multiplier 10.0x

CPU FSB 242.00 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 21%)

Memory Bus 201.67 MHz

CPU Cache:

L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)

L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)

L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:

Motherboard ID 10/19/2005-nForce-6A61CG0HC-00

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-K8NS (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

Chipset Properties:

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce3 250, AMD Hammer

Memory Timings 2.5-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Command Rate (CR) 2T

SPD Memory Modules:

DIMM1: Infineon AED660UD00-500B98X 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

BIOS Properties:

System BIOS Date 10/19/05

Video BIOS Date 04/08/06

Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Award BIOS Message GA-K8NS F18

DMI BIOS Version F9

Graphics Processor Properties:

Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 SE (RV280)

GPU Code Name RV280 (AGP 8x 1002 / 5964, Rev 01)

GPU Clock 200 MHz (original: 200 MHz)

Memory Clock 180 MHz (original: 180 MHz)

Edited by zacoz

keep an eye on the sensor part and you are on the wrong side of the equator for this time of year to really crank it up, an ambient drop of 5C can give you a 10-15C lower idle or load temp

try to fix the command rate, you were at

Command Rate (CR) 1T

way to go, the new bios settings are a little hard to get used to

to test settings, besides for bsod's, I used a program to create a folder of

7-8 gigs on one hard drive then I would transcode to another hard drive

with full speed settings(70% compression), then time! I almost broke 9 minutes.

Edited by chewy

I spoke too soon. When I went to do some stress testing (using Prime95) I came unstuck as it was producing incorrect results - still no crashes or anything, but with video compression I don't want it making incorrect calculations. Played around with uping voltage slightly and dropping overclock etc and ended up with:

CPU Speed:

CPU Clock 2299.22 MHz

CPU Multiplier 10.0x

CPU FSB 229.92 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 15%)

Memory Bus 209.02 MHz

Chipset Properties:

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce3 250, AMD Hammer

Memory Timings 3-4-4-9 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Command Rate (CR) 2T

SPD Memory Modules:

DIMM1: Infineon AED660UD00-500B98X 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

This was with 1.55V CPU Core and resulted in a stable CPU temperature under stress conditions (including ambient mercury being high today - no A/C). Apart from some very fine tweaking, any higher is going to need an improved cooling installation.

As before, I'd let the system choose the memory timings and command rate. Will try setting these manually to get back to CR 1T.

Overclocker Creates Rift in Space-Time Continuum

By Brian Briggs

Santa Cruz, CA - A rift in the space-time continuum was created today when overclocker Jamie Aperman ran a 750 MHz Coppermine Pentium III at 11.6 GHz. Overclocking has long been blamed for causing global warming, but this is the first occasion that the fabric of space-time has been damaged.

Rift in the Space-Time ContinuumMIT Professor George Greznowski said, "It appears that the CPU was operating so fast that it began to execute instructions before they arrived. This execution of future instructions created a small tear in the fabric of space-time itself through which part of the motherboard passed into a parallel universe."

No one was injured in the accident, but a computer motherboard was partially damaged. Mr. Aperman better known as SpeedPhreeek said, "I'm pissed. I lost a brand new Alpha Cooler and Coppermine to a parallel universe. I called my insurance company and they don't cover losses to rifts in the space-time continuum."

Intel researchers have long warned of such damage to the space-time continuum, and added clock multiplier locks to their CPUs before they were required by Congress. A bill is now in the US Senate which would require a three day waiting period for purchasers of Alpha Cooling Fans and Peltier cooling devices. The bill would also require clock multiplier locks on all new processors.

Overclocking advocate Horace Spencer said, "This bill before Congress won't prevent overclocking. They'll just create a black market for non-locked processors. Most of the top overclockers already get their goods from Taiwan."

Why do people wear sweaters in IT departments in summer?

My 37% overclock has a custom layer of cu based paste with TT

silent boost HS/Fan.

1.47 V, MoBo 18C / cpu 22C idle / ambient 17C

amd64/3000/venice/939 is an awesome chipset

would be nice to get some cas 2 ram to run at 550

now a multiplier unlocked opteron would be nice

Edited by chewy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.