Burning ISO's without MDS file

tigerdriver

Folks,

I have a couple of dozen ISO files, but have somehow lost the associated MDS file (mea culpa). To get around this, I created an MDS file using Tools->Create DVD MDS file." Afterward, when I tried to burn to DL, I got the message "This image has not been mastered correctly...Do you want to continue anyway." Since I don't know the consequences of answering 'Yes,' and because DL DVDs aren't cheap, I haven't proceeded down this path.

As I was experimenting yesterday, I somehow (don't recall how) got ImgBurn to prompt me to chose layer-break information; after doing so, then ISO then burned correctly.

My questions:

(1) Can somebody explain the steps I (fortuitously) took to cause ImgBurn to prompt for the layer break info?

(2) If I mount an ISO in DAEMON, and then rip the virtual drive via ImgBurn, will it create an MDS file?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

I believe if you were to use read mode, and then delete the MDS file, and then try to burn the ISO, ImgBurn should ask you to choose the layerbreak. Assuming you used read mode the layerbreak prompt should only be the original.

This would also allow you to use read mode and also use 'seamless' layer break option.

Mount your ISO image with Daemon Tools then follow this guide (use the virtual drive as source) ;)

The guide you point to presupposes that the DVD has been ripped to Video (IFO/BUP/VOB) files. AFAIK, ImgBurn's write mode produces only ISO files, so I'm assuming that you recommend I use some other tool to rip the ISO image (via Daemon Tools) to DVD video files. Yes?

Thanks,

Joe

I believe if you were to use read mode, and then delete the MDS file, and then try to burn the ISO, ImgBurn should ask you to choose the layerbreak. Assuming you used read mode the layerbreak prompt should only be the original.

This would also allow you to use read mode and also use 'seamless' layer break option.

I'm not sure I follow you. The ISO files I have now were created mostly with DVD Decrypter, which produced an MDS file. During over-zealous

disk-cleaning I must have deleted the MDS files.

As I mentioned in my original post, when the very first time I tried to burn a (MDS-less) ISO file to DL disk, ImgBurn did prompt me to select a layer break. There was only one choice, which I selected. Afterward, the burn proceeded uneventfully. I have since tried this on several other ISO files, an I just get the error message mentioned in my original post.

So, through beginner's luck I apparently stumbled on a way to set the layer break. At any rate, I've been unable to get the same results on other ISO files.

????

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by tigerdriver

Daemon Tools creates a virtual drive to which you can mount disc images. After you've mounted a disc image, the virtual drive behaves just like a real drive would, so, you can browse its contents and add them to ImgBurn's Build mode. That way you don't need to rip/extract the ISO image in order to use its contents :)

Daemon Tools creates a virtual drive to which you can mount disc images. After you've mounted a disc image, the virtual drive behaves just like a real drive would, so, you can browse its contents and add them to ImgBurn's Build mode. That way you don't need to rip/extract the ISO image in order to use its contents :)

I'm very familiar with Daemon tools.

I think I understand now what you're proposing: In Build mode, just use the 'Browse for a Folder' and select the virtual drive itself as the source. Yes?

Yes

This appeared to be working, but then failed at the end (99%). This happens alot. I have two Benq burners and they fail about 80% of the time. Any ideas?

joe

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Sunday, 25 May 2008, 13:55:14

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 13:09:55 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 13:09:55 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:09:55 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,956 KB - Available: 375,216 KB

I 13:09:56 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:09:56 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:09:56 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 2 DVD

Because you're using cheapo/low quality DL discs.

The only ones we recommend are Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x (MKM-001-00 dye, made in Singapore).

I figured as much.

Thanks for your help!

The BenQ drives were awesome in their day, but my 1655 became unrelaible later in it's life...your 1620 is even older. It might be time for an upgrade.

I've been thinking of replacing them, but have been too busy (translation: lazy) to do the research. If you were buying today, what you be considering?

Edited by tigerdriver

Because you're using cheapo/low quality DL discs.

The only ones we recommend are Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x (MKM-001-00 dye, made in Singapore).

Is there a reliable source for these discs?

Pioneer's last two DVD drives (the Pio 112 and 115) have been very well received. I have used the 112d and it has been tremendous. The 115 has gotten even better reviews than the 112.

Thanks. I saw the rating of the Pio 115 elsewhere in this forum and have already ordered one. If it works well, I'll get a second.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.