Create and burn image of recovery partition

Tinks

Hey there,

I am pretty new to the concept of image burning etc. I am wondering if I can use ImgBurn to backup my recovery partition to an image file on more than one blank DVD? If so, would you mind pointing me in the direction of a tutorial? I have searched the forum but haven't found any info on it (which doesn't necessarily mean it's not there, but perhaps I haven't used the right search words). Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Me

Welcome. :)

Hey there,

I am pretty new to the concept of image burning etc. I am wondering if I can use ImgBurn to backup my recovery partition to an image file on more than one blank DVD?

This is beyond the scope of ImgBurn. 2 other options come to mind though.

. A dedicated and expensive backup program such as "Ghost".

. Backing your critical files up to a second, third or forth harddrive using free software. (My personal choice)

Another option comes to mind and that is to install your system to a mirrored RAID drive. Most motherboards support doing this these days. Your operatiing system is essentially installed to 2 identical drives at the same time (hence the term "mirrored"). If one fails, the other takes over. You then replace the faulty drive with a new one and your 2nd drive is backed up automagically (mirrored) to the new drive.

FWIW, I don't bother with any of this type of nonsense. I keep backups of the files (and drivers) I need and don't worry about the rest.

Welcome. :)

Hey there,

I am pretty new to the concept of image burning etc. I am wondering if I can use ImgBurn to backup my recovery partition to an image file on more than one blank DVD?

This is beyond the scope of ImgBurn. 2 other options come to mind though.

. A dedicated and expensive backup program such as "Ghost".

. Backing your critical files up to a second, third or forth harddrive using free software. (My personal choice)

Another option comes to mind and that is to install your system to a mirrored RAID drive. Most motherboards support doing this these days. Your operatiing system is essentially installed to 2 identical drives at the same time (hence the term "mirrored"). If one fails, the other takes over. You then replace the faulty drive with a new one and your 2nd drive is backed up automagically (mirrored) to the new drive.

FWIW, I don't bother with any of this type of nonsense. I keep backups of the files (and drivers) I need and don't worry about the rest.

Hey there Complete...(can't make me say the other part....lol)

Ok...I understand what you are saying.....and indeed I have an external drive which I can backup my files on, no problem. The problem is I want to make a backup of the recovery partition as this has a fresh installation of the os used to restore the pc to factory in the case of a failure. Having bought a new pc with Vista on it, you shell out big money for the pc, and of course the stingy companies wont give you a Vista installation disc. So that is what I am wanting to guard against. If I have drive failure, or whatever.....I have lost my operating system and can't put it back. They do have a recovery partition back up of the os, BUT I still want to make an image of that and put it safely on disc. My pc (as is common now) comes with a programme to do this, but the stupid programme is not working (burns to DVD number one, but wont take the second disc to complete the burn). It is called MDVD Creator. So although I am working with Tech Support to try and sort this.....you know how that can work. So I'm being proactive in trying to find an alternative programme which does what MDVD Creator does.

Thanks for your input though....

Cheers,

Me :innocent:

google ghost 2003

then to save partion

Local partition / to image, choose high and yes

when you want to restore partition use the ghost boot cd you created with ghost 2003 and local partition from image

You have to select which drive to make partition from etc when ghost is run

You might want to take a look at a free program called DriveImage XML.

It can create an Image of any partition/drive. Optionally it can use compression to save space and also split the output image into manageable parts for easy burning to cd/dvd afterwards. That's where ImgBurn comes in, as you can then use Build mode to burn the data files created by DriveImage XML to your disc(s).

Edited by jeff_nz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.