Pioneer DVR-1910LS

poolshark2014

The PX-800A appears to be a rebranded Optiarc AD-7170A.

There are newer and better models out now that you can get direct from optiarc at what's probably half the price.

So then what would you guys recommend for me to replace the Pioneer burner I have right now? I would like to have Booktype capabilities also.

Thanks in advance. I want something that's higher quality than my pioneer burner just not over $150.

Change your ide cable for an 80 wire one and set drive to master. Also see what other media you have performs like, try some DVD+R as well.

Try selecting 12x write. Install dvdinfopro and look at graph or get Nero cdspeed and see what your burst rate is like and other benchmarks before taking drive to where it is your taking it.

Change your ide cable for an 80 wire one and set drive to master. Also see what other media you have performs like, try some DVD+R as well.

Try selecting 12x write. Install dvdinfopro and look at graph or get Nero cdspeed and see what your burst rate is like and other benchmarks before taking drive to where it is your taking it.

Have tried all that and no luck.Is the Sony DRU-840A any good?

Have tried all that and no luck.Is the Sony DRU-840A any good?

It's a rebadged Samsung 202 drive but probably more expensive because of the sony name...

Any new drive you buy will probably use a similar write strategy to the one you have, as has been said already (which is a good thing actually).

Before doing anything, may I suggest you attach one of the .ibg files from your Pioneer that has been requested several times? You can find them from Imgburn Help > ImgBurn Graph Data...

It should also be noted that ImgBurn constantly monitors and updates the speed during the burn so you know what the drive is really doing... most other burning software simply report the speed that was selected, not the actual speed at any given time (thereby giving you the false impression the drive is burning faster than it really is). That's probably why Pioneer said the drive should burn at a constant speed, they were only thinking of what the bundled software is capable of.

It should also be noted that ImgBurn constantly monitors and updates the speed during the burn so you know what the drive is really doing... most other burning software simply report the speed that was selected, not the actual speed at any given time (thereby giving you the false impression the drive is burning faster than it really is). That's probably why Pioneer said the drive should burn at a constant speed, they were only thinking of what the bundled software is capable of.

[/quote

Well I exchanged it for the Sony DRU-840A.I installed it and computer picked it up right away.I will burn something in awhile and see how that goes.If what you say is correct Jeff well then it does have Book typing capabilities which is what I wanted from the start.

Where can I find firmware for it before I burn anything?

Tried to look at the Sony web page. But couldn't find any.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/210#drivers

Looks as it's a rebadged Samsung 202.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/patch-utilit...0-1-new-242508/

I haven't updated the firmware yet on the new Sony burner basically because I can't find it anywhere.Should I give the Samsung Patch Utility a try before updating firmware? Also how do I booktype using IMGBURN? Will the option in IMGBURN called Auto change book type do that for me?

Tried to look at the Sony web page. But couldn't find any.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/210#drivers

Looks as it's a rebadged Samsung 202.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/patch-utilit...0-1-new-242508/

I haven't updated the firmware yet on the new Sony burner basically because I can't find it anywhere.Should I give the Samsung Patch Utility a try before updating firmware? Also how do I booktype using IMGBURN? Will the option in IMGBURN called Auto change book type do that for me?

Where did you guys look at to figure out it was a Samsung 202? How can you tell this so quickly?

Also as far as the Samsung patch utility goes which firmware should I use with the Samsung 202 and still retain Booktyping capabilities? Should I use Lite-on firmwares or Samsung firmwares from CODEGUYS.RPC1.ORG?

The fastest way to find anything is Google... having said that, the best place for info on optical drives is CDFreaks.

Anyway, as far as bitsetting goes, if I understand this Review correctly, it appears your Sony supports automatic bitsetting of +R media out of the box. Why don't you burn a +R disc and check the booktype afterwards, you possibly don't have to do anything.

As far as patching and crossflashing goes, it's an advanced thing and you should be prepared to assume any risks involved. For that reason, and the fact it's a new drive, I'm hesitant to suggest it. Maybe you'll find your new drive is just fine the way it is. Why don't you give it a chance first?

Edited by jeff_nz

The fastest way to find anything is Google... having said that, the best place for info on optical drives is CDFreaks.

Anyway, as far as bitsetting goes, if I understand this Review correctly, it appears your Sony supports automatic bitsetting of +R media out of the box. Why don't you burn a +R disc and check the booktype afterwards, you possibly don't have to do anything.

As far as patching and crossflashing goes, it's an advanced thing and you should be prepared to assume any risks involved. For that reason, and the fact it's a new drive, I'm hesitant to suggest it. Maybe you'll find your new drive is just fine the way it is. Why don't you give it a chance first?

Well I did a full erase on a DVD+RW using IMGBURN and after it was done it made it into a DVD-Rom. I am so happy for that.

I am hesitant whn it comes to patching and don't really see a need for it.I was just wondering if there was any new firmware update for my drive because I don't want to burn anything at a high speed and have it crash on me.Thanks for the help and if anyone knows where I can find firmware for my drive please let me know.

ImgBurn won't booktype automatically on sony drives, you'll need to add its device id to the 'samsung' tab so that it knows what type of drive it is and therefore which commands to use.

Where is this located at?

Steps would be greatly appreciated.

Look in section '4.2.12.2 Advanced' of this guide. The example is for a Sony (rebadged Lite-On) but the work flow is the same for a Samsung.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6392

:)

Well what I did was click on Tools-Drive-Change Book Type-selected Samsung-made changes to DVD+R media and it said successful.

Funny thing is after I did a burn and disc came out I waited for a minute then reinserted the disc in the drive and it still read it as a DVD+R disc instead of DVD-Rom.I got the physical info from Imgburn and it said last burn was burned as DVD-ROM.So does that basically mean it is a DVD-Rom disc?

I didn't go into the Change Advanced Settings area.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.