"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Norbert

I have been using RecordNow to backup a set of files onto DVDs, but it failed on a new laptop (possibly because of installing Vista SP1, possibly due to the DVD writer hardware). I decided to try ImgBurn based on a glowing recommendation from another user. ImgBurn refuses to copy two files because it claims they are in use. I agree that 'names.nsf' is not writable, but I successfully was able to copy the file and RecordNow never complained in the past. I shutdown the application that writes to the file but suspect that it is open read-only by another application.

The 'a_nhoeller.nsf' file is puzzling. No other application should be using this file. In fact, after exiting ImgBurn, I was able to rename the file. The strange thing is that ImgBurn is now happily backing up that file, although in three previous tests, the backup failed.

Is there a way to get ImgBurn to backup files even if it cannot get exclusive access? I tried setting the 'Ignore I Use Files' option, but that seems to cause ImgBurn to write binary zeros into both files. During the verify step, I cannot seem to skip those files and verify the rest.

Thanks, Norbert

I 15:48:32 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 15:48:32 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 15:48:32 Total Physical Memory: 2,094,468 KB - Available: 529,852 KB

W 15:48:32 Drive G:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 15:48:33 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:48:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:48:33 Found 1 DVD

Disable your antivirus/antispyware/firewall/etc just before burning and see if that error still happens. I've had a similar problem with AVG 8, which is a lot slower than AVG 7.5 ever was :&

I created copies of a number of files in an attempt to get a successful ImgBurn run and then had problems during the verify - content errors and 'files in use'. I noticed that the date on some of the files had changed while ImgBurn was running. My suspicion is that the exalead desktop search engine that I run is not only scanning the nsf files for changes, but also writing to the files. I will attempt to verify my suspicions. Again, I do not recall having these problems with RecordNow, although unless I can get it working on the new laptop, I cannot confirm this.

I ran Process Monitor and was able to verify that my desktop search engine was modifying the files, although I do not yet have a crisp explanation of WHY it is doing this. Why I did not have problems with RecordNow is also not clear. I may be running into a 'feechur' of the latest desktop search engine version, or RecordNow did a poor job of verifying file integrity.

Anyway, I am now using a proper backup/recovery application that uses Shadow Copy.

Thanks for your help!

Norbert

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.