Build Directory Structure

chasrome

This is a bootable disk to install WinXP SP3. Everthing works to create the disk but when I try to boot with it Windows chokes with error: CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR.

This is because the files and directories that go on the CD are on the HD in subdir C:\XP and ImgBurn places all the files and directories on the CD in a parent subdir named "XP." No matter how I try to select the files and subdirs, I can not find a way to prevent them from being in this subdir on the finished disk which prevents Windows from seeing a valid CD.

Any help / guidance is appreciated.

The files etc should be in a folder called I386, if they're not then it'll seem like a normal data disc to ImgBurn and it won't be able to fix certain settings that are required for building a bootable OS installation disc.

Let's see if I got this right: Microsoft requires that the subdir for the OS disk files be named C:\XP and another separate subdir named C:\SP3 be used to store the SP3 data (download). Only then can the MS command slipstream them into an updated, bootable, SP3 OS disc (which is stored in C:\XP).

If I understand you correctly, I cannot use ImgBurn to create the bootable disk that can be used to re-install XP with SP3:

a) Unless I rename the c:\XP subdir to C:\i386 or B) don't use ImgBurn for this task.

Thanks for your help

Where are you getting this info from?!

The XP install discs always uses an I386 folder.

Take a real SP2 install disc, copy all the folders/files to a folder somwhere (let's say C:\WINXP - so amongst others, you'll have a C:\WINXP\I386 folder), integrate SP3 via the '/integrate' CLI switch and then add that main folder (C:\WINXP) to the source box in Build mode.

Use the 'Bootable Disc' tab to extract the bootimage from the SP2 CD and then using the info in the log window, fill out the bootable disc fields on that same tab.

Click 'Build' and create your SP3 bootable ISO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.