Hard crashes

terrypin

A more severe problem this time. When I loaded a particular DVD+RW disc last night (a disc that was readable in my players), I first got a message like 'Getting Device Media status'. But it was still present after 5-10 minutes. so I tried to close ImgBurn. Couldn't do so, and the following message was displayed: "Terminating interface thread". I could not close ImgBurn even via XP Pro Task Manager, so was forced to power down.

In case it was a temporary glitch, I repeated this after restarting, but with identical results. I'm obviously keen to isolate the cause!

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Before putting the disc in just press F8 to enable I/O debug mode.

Then we'll be able to see which command the drive is having trouble processing via all the stuff in the log window - you can just copy & paste from it.

When I/O gets stuck, it REALLY gets stuck. The only way out is to force a bus reset (which you need special software for) or to just reset / power off the machine.

Oh and I noticed from your other thread that your Pioneer Bluray drive is the IDE model but showing as SCSI. I assume that means it's not on a motherboard chipset port and instead on a 3rd party one? Well, it's that or the drivers just make it look like a SCSI device.

Which motherboard is it connected to and which chipset is it running? (Intel, Nvidia etc)

A lot of controllers don't like optical drives all that much and it's important that the bios for the motherboard/controller is kept up-to-date (much like the firmware on the drive!) and also the drivers.

JMicron controllers are common on newer motherboards where legacy IDE controllers have been removed from the main chipset. (ICH8 onwards on Intel boards I believe)

Updated drivers for the most common one can be found here:

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/Win2k_xp_Vista/

Thanks. I think it's a SCSI from the following.

DEVICE MANAGER > DVD/CD-ROM drives

==================================

General tab

-----------

PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-202 SCSI CdRom Device

Device type: DVD/CD-ROM drives

Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Drivers tab

-----------

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pfc.sys

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll

Details tab

-----------

Device Instance Id:

SCSI\CDROM&VEN_PIONEER&PROD_BD-ROM__BDC-202&REV_1.07\4&3840D2D&0&000

Hardware IDs:

SCSI\CdRomPIONEER_BD-ROM__BDC-202_1.07

SCSI\CdRomPIONEER_BD-ROM__BDC-202_

SCSI\CdRomPIONEER_

SCSI\PIONEER_BD-ROM__BDC-202_1

PIONEER_BD-ROM__BDC-202_1

GenCdRom

PC is a MESH 'Xtreme GTS Quad Pro'; SPEC EXTRACT

===================================

CPU = Intel CoreT 2 Quad Core Q9450 (2.66 GHz, 12 MB cache, 1333 MHz); PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - Intel Core 2

Hope that answers your questions. Just about to go on fortnight's holiday so will pick this up again when I get back.

I'll also try your F8 suggestion then.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.